Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Dialing SIP numbers -- ??

Discussion in 'Android' started by Bob Denny, Jan 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

I'm sure I'm missing something... in 3CX 1.3.4 on the Droid Incredible: How can I enter a SIP phone address (e.g. bob@dc3.com, or 1028@sip.acme.com, etc.)? When I touch the entry area I get a Android keyboard popup that appears to contain just a few more keys than the regular dialpad. I need the full keyboard.

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware that the 3CX phone was capable of direct SIP calls. I'm pretty sure (someone correct me if I'm wrong as the Android phone has been set-up and forget, for me) that the SIP server that you are sending digits to, it defined in the profile that you are using.
    In fact the last time I attempted that, by setting the destination "server" as simply a URL (no registration), I couldn't do anything with it. No registration= no use

3. Bob Denny

Bob Denny New Member

Really? That will be a big disappointment. I have a dozen or so contacts via sip addresses. Of course it goes to the PBX in the profile. I'm not looking for SIP to SIP direct, just to be able to type a sip address into the "number" field and let the PBX do the routing.

Can someone else verify that 3CX for Android is incapable of SIP addressing?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

That's a bit different. The 3CX phone alone will only send to the SIP server that it is currently registered with. There was some talk a while back about direct SIP calls with the Windows version. If you are using it with the 3CX PBX then you can let the PBX do the routing. You just can't "dial" the whole destination on the phone.
    You can set up "speed call like" short digit dialling and have a 3 (or more) digit number changed into a destination by the outbound rules. It all really depends on how many direct SIP calls (different destinations) you plan on making. If you make a lot, it might be more work that it's worth.

Setting up the outbound trunk(s) will be the challenge. Haven't done it myself so I'm not sure (haven't tested) if you can prepend the number plus the URL in the outbound rules or not. The destination is usually determined in the trunk settings, which would suggest that you'd need one trunk for each different destinations URL (non-registering).

Perhaps someone that has already set this up can chime in.

5. zyradowry

I also experience this.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.