Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Dialing speed for calling extensions

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mrkent, Jun 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrkent

We are receiving a lot of complaints about our 3CX phone system being broken for the fact the people are hearing prompts repeated when they expect to go through to an extension. I have tried my best to reproduce their complaints and, despite some of the wild theories, each time I have sat someone down with the system they can only get this to happen when they dial the extension really fast or really slow. The kicker is that our old phone system didn't get any of these complaints and I have yet to see a system that is less tolerant of fast or slow dialing.

Has anybody had to deal with this in the past? Is there somehwere I can adjust the tolerance for how short of a DTMF tone is registered and how long the auto attendant waits before determining this is an incomplete sequence therefor causing it to repeat the prompt?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm assuming that these are incoming callers via outside trunks. You don't say what method they are coming in on...Gateway (what make/model), VoIP?

In some cases (a gateway) things can be tweaked (levels), which might improve DTMF recognition. If it is through a VoIP provider, then check to see what codec you are using with them.

3. mrkent

The calls are being received via analog phone lines connected to Patton 4114 Smartnodes.

Is the DTMF recognition handled by the Smartnode or by the call attendant? If the Smartnode handles that and just signals 3CX as to what digits were dialed then I could certainly see how the Smartnode would be responsible for the case of a fast sequence not being recognized properly. I am not so sure this would cover the case when people dial too slowly.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In either case (DTMF audio going directly to the DR, or being intercepted by the gateway and a SIP message being passed on to 3CX), it might be a level issue (or other PSTN line setting) within the gateway. First, be sure that the PSTN options (gateway) are set-up properly (optimised) for the country (provider) in which you are using it. Then, after noting the original settings, try boosting the incoming audio level, slowly, to see if that helps. If you boost it too high you risk echo issues.

5. edgarness

I'm assuming that these are incoming callers via outside trunks[​IMG]

6. dynamic

I'm having the same problem. Using 2talk coming directly into 3CX. The extension number is put in the the auto attendant message repeats. I do it like three times before it finally works.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I have to assume that, while your "symptom" is similar, the cause may be completely different as I assume that 2Talk is a VoIP provider. That why it is usually a better idea to begin you own post rather than "attaching' to a post from a few years ago.

In any case, you will have to provide additional information.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.