Dialled extension number - wrong name?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by wardster, Mar 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wardster

Hi all - just getting to grips with a 3CX system I've "inherited" in a new job.
    I'm familiar with all the provisioning stuff, phonebooks, etc etc, but this issue has me a little stumped.

We use Cisco SPA502G phones, and Polycom IP330's. The SPA502's have the "dir" function, to search, via LDAP, a internal extension, as the extension number is filled in within Active Directory.
    This works fine, and all is well.
    However, if I dial the number DIRECTLY from the keypad, a different name to what is actually defined within the 3CX system comes up. I cannot find any files that would be holding this information, and it affects all the SPA502's.
    With the IP330's though, again, the directory shows the right number, but when the a number is dialled directly from the keypad, "unknown" is shown on the display.

This issue only seems to affect numbers that have had the extension name changed at some point in the past.

Is there any directory files that are hiding somewhere that get provisioned to the phones that I'm missing?

Thanks is advance :)

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A name can be put against the extension in both 3CX, and the set itself.

Perhaps the unknown is being "picked up" from the database as the number does not currently reside there and the word "unknown" is returned

3. wardster

Hi - Thanks for reply. I've checked the phones, and they also have the correct name programmed into them.
    However, having trawled for ages last night, I've come across a couple of people having a "similar" issue, something to do with call history stored on the phone?
    EG, if the phone in the past has called, say extension 1500 - Joe Bloggs, and now, extension 1500 is Mr. Black, then the phone "remembers" its previous call history and displays Joe Bloggs, instead of Mr. Black, who is in the directory.

Of course.... I could be wrong here!

Cheers.

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If that were the case, then you would think that any "current" name would replace an older one and the old name would only re-occur if there was no new name attached to the number.

As we all know, what should happen and what actually does, can be two very different things.

To test your theory should simply require a factory reset to clear everything from the phone.

5. wardster

Indeed it does - I tried that earlier, and it clears any miscellaneous information from the phone's memory. (Same for the Polycom Phones)
    So, in actual fact, it appears that if you change the name of an extension, in order to clear old data, you have to factory reset the phones?
    Surely this can't be the case!

Cheers :)

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Perhaps they don't expect users to be changing names??? :)

I would have expected that any new name attached to an extension number, would replace an old one still "lodged" in the sets memory. Perhaps you have discovered a bug that need to be brought to Cisco's attention. Are you running the latest firmware on the sets?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.