Dialling an invalid/engaged external number - no audio msg?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by adminbod, Sep 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adminbod

Hi - this may be specific to the UK...

If I call an invalid external number (a ceased phone number or a number that has a typo in it) from a mobile phone OR a 'regular' phone (not 3CX), then I get a nice female audio message that says "the number you have dialled has not been recognised, please check and try again..." - this message will be familiar to most people in the UK
    If I dial the same number from one of our 3CX extns, I get nothing, no message, no tone, just silence.

The same thing happens if I dial an external number that is engaged or on DND (with no voicemail) - using a mobile or a 'regular' phone I get a repeating audio tone, that we here in the UK recognise as an 'engaged tone'
    Dial the same 'busy' number from 3CX and I get silence.

Is this 3CX, the SIP carrier, a setting in 3CX?

The silence associated with these types of calls confuses our end users - they end up redialling.
    Our callcentre also need to disposition every outbound call - which isn't possible for these 'busy' or 'invalid number' calls because they just get silence.

Any ideas...

#1 adminbod, Sep 7, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It all depends what message is being returned from your provider, i assume you use a VoIP provider. The 3CX Activity log will show what the actual SIP message is for one of these calls. Normally, if it is a busy message, 3CX will play a recording stating that.

That can be changed, in 3CX, to an engaged tone if desired. Perhaps a message is being sent from you provider that is not recognised.

3. adminbod

Thanks Lee -

You're correct that calling an 'invalid' number and an 'engaged' number do return an event log from our voip provider..

Calling an invalid external number actually returns 2 errors...

Call or Registration to 01**********8@(Ln.10002@*************** has failed. 2*******101 replied: 404 Not Found; from IP:2*******101:5060
    Call or Registration to 01**********8@(Ln.10002@*************** has failed. 2*******101 replied: 488 Not Acceptable Here; from IP:2*******101:5060

Calling an engaged or busy external number returns this...

Call or Registration to 01***********4@(Ln.10002@*************** has failed. 2*******101 replied: 486 Busy here; from IP:2*******101:5060

Somehow I need to convert these events into audio messages or tones to our end users so that they know why the call isn't getting through.

I found a setting in PBX Settings/General Options that has the "Play Busy prompt when extn is busy" - but I figured that was for internal calls?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'm not certain where you can specify, in 3CX, what to play for a specific SIP response from your provider, perhaps someone at 3CX would care to respond. I assume that the call is dropped at that point so that there is no audible message from them.

If you look under Parameters there is a setting called BUSYPROMPT. (hopefully the same in Ver 15) This is where you can set what you hear, if an external call is busy. The default is a recording. I don't know why a SIP 486 does not trigger that on your PBX.

5. AndreasPo_3CX

AndreasPo_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi @adminbod ,

the message you are expecting should be coming from the provider, the PBX does not translate the sip message to a prompt in this case.
    Only the provider would be able to tell you if you should be getting a message in each case.

This is irrelevant if your mobile phone provider and your sip trunk provider are different, each provider may be doing things differently.

I suggest that you speak with your provider and see if this behavior is normal.

Hope this helps

6. adminbod

Thanks Andreas....

I've been in touch with the SIP provider (orbtalk) and they have come back with the following...

...it is likely that the message is not being routed through your system due to 'early media', where SDP is being delivered to your system even though the call hasn't been 'answered'. This can also occur with IVR's, and is something controlled by the PBX. I have tested this myself using the same route and I receive the 'Number Not Recognised' message, so we are relaying the message, but I believe due to the above it is not being passed through your system.
    You may be able to resolve this by creating your own message to play when you receive these SIP codes...

Essentially, I think they are saying that we should hear the "the number you have dialled has not been recognised" audio message, but a 3CX configuration setting somewhere is preventing the message getting through.

Any comments would be welcome.

cheers...

7. AndreasPo_3CX

AndreasPo_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

I wouldn't be able to comment on what is happening there because orbtalk is not one of our supported providers and thus not tested with 3CX, what i can suggest though is to get a wireshark capture while replicating the issue. The call flow should look something like this:
    upload_2017-9-8_15-25-47.png

You can also check the RTP stream and see if it actually carries any audio.

8. adminbod

Thanks Andreas -
    sorry - off topic, but we signed up with orbtalk a while back because they were one of your supported SIP suppliers (their sip trunk template used to be in the 'worldwide' section) - when did they stop being 3CX supported ?
    unless I missed a notification, can I request that when you stop supporting vendors you let end users know.
    I've been happily running our setup, thinking I had a fully supported configuration...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.