• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Dialplan or 2 stage dialing via office PBX PSTN lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ideasmiths

Reaction score
I have successfully setup 3cx v10, Myphone, 3cxPhone v6 and outlook 2010 addin and dial out from my home PSTN line using Linksys SPA3102. I just need to click on the 3cx Add in, press the phone number icons and the dial is made and calls goes through.

pF8eZ.png

However, my office needs the users to press '9' to get a outside tone, then dial 8digits number. For example, 9->Listen to dialtone->12345678 to make a call to 12345678. The phone lines should be connected to a PBX somewhere, hidden and not accessible by end user like myself and unhelpful admins. I have googled for several days and tried out several methods but am unable to make any call due to the PBX. The focus is on automated dialing (ie from outlook dial out), instead of manually pressing the buttons on softphone or analog phones.

I have tried dialplans using 9,: or 9: [eg (xx.|<9,:>xx.<:mad:gw0>)]or setting the one stage option to NO, changing the Prepend and digit strip of 3cx Myphone, and so on.

As I am unfamiliar with analog phone, am I barking up the wrong tree? To do that successfully do I need to look at
a) Dial Plan on the Linksys SPA3102 or
b) Dial Plan on the 3cx MyPhone
c) Measuring the voltage of the on/off hook
d) Set up some sort of 2 stage dialing on the 3cx or
e) Set up some sort of 2 stage dialing on the SPA3102....

Anybody who have any insight in these could point me in the right direction so that I can continue my googling and trial?

Thank you for any help

The 3102, used as a gateway, is not intended to go out on a PBX line that needs a pause after an access digit. You can make this work if you are using a phone on the FXS port then going out on the FXO, because, you can use the 3102 dialplan on the FXS portion. The dialplan on the 3102 isn't for the FXO portion. The problem is that 3CX sends all of the digits at once and doesn't allow for a pause.

And, you may have to change the off-hook voltage as some PBX lines are only 24 volts so the 3102 will see it as in use if the sense voltage setting is not lowered to something below that.

You could try just sending the 9 from 3CX to the 3102, then after getting the second dialtone, manually dial the rest of the digits.

There is a dial plan in the 'PSTN line' section of SPA-3102 -- several plans possible.
However the prefix '9' for outgoing call should be processed normally by the 3CX server, not by the gateway (in this case the SPA-3102).

If you still want the digit '9' to be removed by the SPA-3102 for some reason, you should not delete it in the outgoing rule for the SPA-3102, and use something like (<9:>xx.) in the PSTN line section dial plans - you must select one of dialplans 1 to 8 for VoIP to PSTN dialing (should be different from dialplan for PSTN to VoIP).

You don't need 2-stage dialing in this case.

Regards.

Sorry, eagle2 is correct. there are dialplans available on the PSTN side. I don't have access to my 3102's right now and have never used the dialplans on that side of the 3102, other than the "forward" function that is used with 3CX. There is a pause function available but it is usually used on calls made from the FXS. It uses the P then a number. See...http://forum.voxilla.com/cisco-linksys-sipura-voip-support-forum/spa3000-dial-plan-pause-problem-17598.html

Thanks to leejor and eagle2 for suggesting some ideas.

I have not modified any 3cx server side pre/strip settings because I figured out that my setup is purely a outlook to dial out from PSTN line and no voip service provider is used (at this trial), so I have not strip any digits and had been concentrating on the SPA3102 side to solve my problem.

I will continue my trial of using pause with P3 (for x seconds delay) in the dial plan etc, I had used many variation before with no success. Over the weekend I setup a server log so now maybe after learning how to scrutinize the log I can find out what is going on.

One potential solution I found was http://www.3cx.com/forums/how-to-generate-a-dialtone-via-3cx-4608-15.html which is some sort of 2 stage dialing.

Update: This thread seem to suggest a successful method by modifying the 3cx side of the configuration to
http://www.3cx.com/forums/spa-3102-help-2038-30.html....look at Mirzab post on Aug 13, 2007 4:37am

After digging through google with the hints, I found the SipuraSPAUserGuidev2.0.9.pdf which have this documentation on stage 1 and 2 dialing. Can anyone decipher the 4.5.2 part and suggest a configuration on the SPA3102 or 3cx? Especially the out-of-band settings (what the heck is that, sigh, more googling...). Seem like a delay is possible

<Original cut as it does not contribute to the solution>...

OK,

but I still I don't understand why you need 2-stage dialing. Normally 2-stage dialing is necessary when entering pin-codes, having access to more sophisticated system with IVR, etc. This is not necessary in your case, even if you accomplish the 2-stage dialing, this will be more unstable and slower.

Try searching the Cisco site for SPA-3102 admin guide, you will find more detailed information.

Regards.

Because dialplan on the SPA3102 side does not seem to be working. Combinations of 9: and 9,: and others that I have tried doesn't work. If the recent Sipura manual that I recently found is correct, the Sipura unit gives its own dial tone and keep the PSTN line on hook until it matches all the numbers in the dialplan. For example, if I use outlook to dial 912345678, the 9 is needed to open an outside line and 12345678 is the 8 digit number I am calling, this will fail because in my trial, I do hear a dial tone but this is the Sipura simulated tone, not the real one. Unless I find a way to get the SPA3102 to send the 'final number' to send 9, then pause till some logic hear the real 2nd real dial tone, then send the 12345678.

Otherwise, the SPA processes the dialed-number by a
corresponding dial plan. If the dial plan processing fails, the SPA replies with a 403 response.
Otherwise, it replies with a 200 response and at the same time takes the FXO port off hook and dials
the final number returned from the dial plan to the PSTN switch.

The above 2 solutions I have read seem to indicate 2 stage dialing is needed which means that I have to config the 3cx somewhere to send out a userid that match the SPA3102 PSTN setting to put it into 2stage dailling, then engage some out-of-band technique to send a PIN and 12345678, I can easily set my PIN and then it will work.

I'm confused with all these settings hence that is why I started this thread. If the solution is just dialplan, then perhaps someone has a working dialplan that he or she can share with me?

Thank you

You are having an issue because the sections that you posted are assuming that the FXO portion is registered with a service provider. A caller dials the number it is registered as, there is authentication (PIN number, caller ID or none), and then digits are dialled manually. 3CX sends all the digits at once.

You could set up the FXO side to register as a 3CX extension rather than using it as a 3CX trunk. You would then dial the 3CX extension number, get dialtone from the 3102 and then go through whatever dialplan you have set up. The call would then go out on the PSTN line. It's awkward, but that is how the 3102 was designed.

Solution: Press 9 to get a PSTN true dialtone in Linksys SPA

I managed to made it work!

After researching through the manual, the setting is to set the VOIP-2-PSTN setting, Voip Caller DialPlan as None. This defaults the SPA3102 PSTN line to be put into 2 stage dialing mode as soon as it is access.

On the 3cx Side, I set the outbound rule so that some extensions will, prefix a 9 to my dialled number, and send it to the SPA3102.

I will update this post later with the pictures showing what I mean. The SPA3102 is now left in the office so I can take a break.....next obstacle would be to get my hostname/domain issue solved. Everyday the DHCP server gives my laptop and SPA3102 a new IP, sigh.....

Great,

I still don't understand why you needed 2-stage dialing if you are not using PIN code or similar. Sending extra digits via DTMF for second stage may result in erratic dialing, etc. In general you should avoid 2-stage dialing, if possible.

Can't your DHCP server make these entries static, or you make the network settings of your server and SPA-3102 static?

Regards.

eagle2 said:
Great,

I still don't understand why you needed 2-stage dialing if you are not using PIN code or similar. Sending extra digits via DTMF for second stage may result in erratic dialing, etc. In general you should avoid 2-stage dialing, if possible.

Can't your DHCP server make these entries static, or you make the network settings of your server and SPA-3102 static?

Regards.

Okay, if I do not use 2 stage dialing, how do you suggest that I use Outlook2010->MyPhone->3cx Phone->SPA3102->Callee ?

If you are suggesting the (<9:>xx.) in your earlier message. I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if it works. I have tried many combinations of 9: and 9,: before...

I don't have Admin access to the DHCP server at work.

Hi,

If I understood correctly your setup -- may be the simplest thing is to strip the digit '9' into the outbound rule for SPA-3102 in 3CX server (preferred). This means you have the numbers stored into Outlook with leading '9'. The 3CX server deletes the leading '9' and passes the rest of the number (e.g 12345678) to SPA-3102 for outside PSTN dialing.

If you need the digit '9' to be passed to SPA-3102, you simply don't strip it, or even you can add it, if you don't have it stored into Outlook.

If you need to pass the leading digit '9' to PSTN line, you simply use a dial plan like (xx.) or (9xxxxxxxx) - the last is '9' followed by exactly eight digits for PSTN dialplan. If you need to skip the '9' at that point you must use a dial plan like (<9:>xx.). In case the SPA-3102 is not getting the leading '9' from the 3CX, you need a dialplan like (xx.) for PSTN line setting.

None of these requires a 2-stage dialing. Sorry, if I'm missing something.

Regards,

My understanding is, that because the 3102 FXO port is connected to a PBX extension for calling, and because it sounds like the PBX is an older models that after dialling 9 then, pauses and connects to outside dialtone (or simulates it)... he requires a pause between sending the 9 and the remaining of the digits.

Could be, nevertheless you could dial the whole string '912345678' at once without trying to insert pause and waiting hear a dialtone in most of the cases. Otherwise you need to insert a pause via the dialing plan of SPA3102 in case of loosing digits (like missing 123 and dialing out only 45678).
Inserting a very short pause (160ms) is possible with the following dialplan (9<:DD>xx.) or (<:DD>9xx.) depending on exact case. This trick is safe and will work on most systems ('DD' is an empty DTMF string, if interpreted, or just a pause -- each digit taking 80ms or 160ms).

eagle2 said:
Could be, nevertheless you could dial the whole string '912345678' at once without trying to insert pause and waiting hear a dialtone in most of the cases. Otherwise you need to insert a pause via the dialing plan of SPA3102 in case of loosing digits (like missing 123 and dialing out only 45678).
Inserting a very short pause (160ms) is possible with the following dialplan (9<:DD>xx.) or (<:DD>9xx.) depending on exact case. This trick is safe and will work on most systems ('DD' is an empty DTMF string, if interpreted, or just a pause -- each digit taking 80ms or 160ms).

You are a genius eagle2, the method worked!

adding the DD works. now I have to fine tune to reduce the delay between dial and connection.

So now we know 2 methods working

Thanks Ideasmiths,

glad to have it solved. :)

Kind regards,
Orlin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.