DID Configuration Question for Fax Forwarding

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by lonestar.computer, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lonestar.computer

My customer is moving to a new location. They have two numbers at the old location - one fax and one voice. I have installed a 3CX system at the new location. I have ported the voice line to a Broadvox SIP trunk which will be the BTN going into the 3CX. Due to code requirements the customer is installing two copper voice lines in the new location to be used for fire and alarm. I can use either of these for an analog fax line but the number is different from the old fax line.

Here is my problem.
    Plan "A" - I was originally going to use a Grandstream ATA as a station on the 3CX but after some testing it would not support an analog fax over IP. So plan "B" was to simply call forward the old FAX number to one of the copper lines at the new location. Turns out th new location is a different rate center so the current CLEC cannot forward the call to the new copper line number. Plan "C" is to port the old fax number to Broadvox and have it setup as an inbound DID on the 3CX and then hard-forward it back out to the PSTN copper alarm line at the new location and then connect it to the fax.

This would essentially be a hairpin in the 3CX.
    Would this cause problems for the fax since the call path is going in and out of the 3CX or is the call actually being hairpinned at Broadvox's switch?

Thanks in advance for comments or suggestions.

Rodney Whiddon
    LoneStar Computer Services
    3105 Ira E. Woods Ave.
    Ste. 110
    Grapevine, TX USA
    Work: 817-522-5200
    Fax: 817-796-2712
    Email: rodney@lonestarwimax.com
    Web: lonestarwimax.com
    Bio: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rwhiddon

Bridging the Digital Divide One Customer at a Time
    The information in this email (and any attachments hereto) is confidential and may be protected by legal privileges and work product immunities. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use or disseminate the information. Receipt by anyone other than the intended recipient is not a waiver of any work product privilege. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify me by "Reply" command and permanently delete the original and any copies or printouts thereof. Although this email and any attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect that might affect any computer system into which it is received and opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by LoneStar Wimax Internet LLC DBA LoneStar Computer Services either jointly or severally, for any loss or damage arising in any way.

2. nupton

I'd go back to Plan A. The GS-ATAs work fine for analog fax. I've had interesting configuration issues with certain cable provider's CPE, but always been able to get it running. The linksys PAP2T also works well, and I even got an old ATA-186 cisco working with an analog fax both in and out via SIP trunk, all on 3cx v5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.