Solved Difference between Away and DND?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by rvoosterhout, Jul 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvoosterhout

Hello,

Can somebody explain to me the difference between the 'Away' and the 'Do Not Disturb' status? To me it seems they have the same purpose.
    But I would like to use it like so:
    Away status, shows that a person is not present at their desk (but can still be called on the 3cx iPhone app)
    DND status, shows that a preson is not present, and a caller will go directly to voicemail.

Is this situation possible?

Kind regards,

Rick
    Index Hospitality Systems

2. AlexDBarrett

There is no difference, or one I can see.

It is to say I am here but leave me alone, DND.
    Don't bother I'm not here, Away.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. rvoosterhout

Ok, but if a user set their status to away, they also can't be reached using the iPhone app. Is it possible to modify this? I understand that the DND doesn't ring any device, but the away status should at least ring the app or all phones.

4. Panayiotis_3CX

Panayiotis_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

5. rvoosterhout

Hi @panayiotis_3CX Thanks for your reply!

I understand the forwarding rules in the managment console, but there is no option saying 'Do nothing'. Is it possible this option is created? I tried forward to extension, and use my own extension there (callee is also my extension) but then the call is not possible, because i thinkg 3cx detects a loop starting.

6. Panayiotis_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

@rvoosterhout,

There is an option to end the call, if that is what you mean.

7. rvoosterhout

Hmm not exactly.
    What i mean is when a user puts their status to busy. I still want their phones to ring when somebody calls them. Or maybe only their iPhone app.

When they set the status to DND, it's ok like this. No phone is ringing.

8. narkumas

narkumas New Member

I support this request. A "do nothing" choice would be very important. Look at this scenario:

I set my phone to DND, because I do not want to bedisturbed by my collegues. But it may happen that I want external callers to be able to call me. In this case I need a "do nothing, just ring".

As long as we have a difference between external and internal calls, we will have the problem...

Got it?

9. rvoosterhout

Here our situation does not depend on internal or external callers.

Available status: I'm at the office, and i will most surely pick up the phone.

Away status: The away status tells my colleagues that i'm outside the company, but i might still pick up the call with my iPhone using the 3cx app, so it does need to be able to ring.

Do not disturb status / busy: I am inside the office or I am outside the office, but i'm very busy. I don't want any phone to ring. Complete silence.

Lunch status: I'm inside the office, but i'm not going to pick up the phone. Try to move the call to a colleague

Busines trip status: would be the same as the Away status.

10. Panayiotis_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

In the "Away" status both the deskphone/softphone will be set to the same status.

So, if in "Away" status, you will not be able to answer the call from your iPhone client (you will receive a missed call notification, and the caller hears the message that the extension is not available).

You can however forward the calls to your mobile number (GSM).

Same behavior for "Business trip" status.

11. narkumas

narkumas New Member

Sure, it was just another point of view to support Your request...

12. rvoosterhout

Yeah thats alright, no harm done. I like to read other people's situations or requests.. It might benefit the both of us.

Now my core question is: Is it possible that the phones WILL ring in the Away status?

13. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello there,

I believe you require a status other than available that will ring your phone but state to others that you might not answer. That is what the launch status is for which can be renamed to suit your needs. You can navigate to settings / PBX and rename launch to Busy for example. So when the extension is set to busy the phone will ring without you being available. You can also rename business trip.
    And to answer your question, no there is no way the phones will ring in Away status as the status was not designed for that.

14. rvoosterhout

Yes!! That's what I was looking for! I just renamed the Lunch status to away with ring, and this works. Perfect, thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.