Different "ring ring" tone for different lines

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by asmith3006, Mar 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asmith3006

Hello,

We have a number in the USA and a number in the UK which are terminated onto the same PBX. Is it possible to have one line play a different audio file for the "ring ring" noise? (is there a proper name for this?)

Thanks

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The ring tone is generally a setting in the phone itself and not the pbx. The pbx simply provides some info to the phone that simply says ring and then the phone will examine more of the data to determine how or which ring to use. Some of this is, of course, dependent on the phone's capability so you will have some detective work to do to understand if your make/models support the feature and then how so. You will then need to see if how the numbers and/or other data being sent to the phone might be able to be used by the phone to effect your desired ring.

3. asmith3006

Sorry, I meant the "ring ring" that the customer hears when they call us, not the "ring ring" that the phone makes

4. asmith3006

Sorry, I meant the "ring ring" that the customer hears when they call us, not the "ring ring" that the phone makes

5. lneblett

Well, in that case. the ring cadence and tones are controlled by the local carrier that is delivering the call to the endpoint.

6. asmith3006

Are you sure? If a caller rings my DDI and my phone rings hasn't the PBX answered the phone already?

7. lneblett

well if it answered, what is ringing?
    if you call a residential phone, who or what provides the ring back tone to the caller then?

what your caller hears is the ring back from the carrier until an answer.

when I call internationally, I hear a ring tone unique to the country and carrier handling the call, not that of a given pbx. it is ringing the number/phone/fax/pbx and awaiting an answer response.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Until a call is answered (in most cases in the PSTN world) the ringback tone is provided by the originating, or terminating carrier depending on how SS7 is set for the carriers involved. Some open an audio path as soon as the terminating line is proven to be idle, some wait until answer supervision. When you are dealing with a VoIP call from end to end, it can get even trickier. It may, or may not be 3CX's ringback tone that customers are hearing before the call is answered, I suspect that it is not. 3CX seems to be capable of using one set of "regional tones" at a time and a change to this affects a number of things for all users.

If a UK caller dials a number in North America would they not expect to reach a North American ring-back tone in the same way that if I call a UK number I expect a UK ringback tone.

Now, if you are trying to "fool" the UK callers into thinking they have reached someone else in the UK, because they dialled a UK number you may be out of luck. I have been in the UK and called a number of businesses (PBX's) and encountered North American tones, so not everyone there sticks to the traditional UK tone plan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.