Digital Reception Menu not working from outside calls

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Cody Fontaine, Aug 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cody Fontaine

When I call my Digital Reception from the outside the menu prompts, extension numbers, etc do not work.

How can fix this?

When I dial the Digital Reception number from the inside it works fine.

2. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

Silly question, but are you pointing the incoming call to the correct digital reception number

What happens you call it externally , anything in the logs

#2 Saqqara, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  3. Cody Fontaine

Nothing that I can see. I have set up the digital reception to correctly point to digital reception number confirmed by the prompt message.

4. Saqqara

Saqqara Active Member

#4 Saqqara, Aug 31, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2017
  5. Luis Santos

for the incoming rule, set yourself to forward the number to an end user extension so you may personally check that it is indeed reaching your pbx and forwarding to you.
    if this is successful change this from end user extension to the receptionist extension.
    please also follow the link that Saqqara has posted if you come across further issues.

6. Cody Fontaine

I did all of this and it still does not work. Its as if the keypad presses are not being communicated to the phone system.

7. Luis Santos

please check what DTMF method you are using, also check with your provider.

8. Cody Fontaine

When I dial the DR extension internally all work fine. However, when the DID is dialed from an outside number, it does hit the PBX and gets transferred appropriately, but the keypad presses are unrecognized. Provider is using DTMF RFC2833. I'm not sure where the setting is to check for what DTMF is being used on inbound calls.

9. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What PBX version are you running? RFC2833 is supported by the PBX and should be working if the DTMF tones are reaching the PBX.
    What happens if you reach an extensions voicemail from outside? Is it the same result? Did you pass the firewall checker?

10. Cody Fontaine

Passed the firewall checker, same result with voicemail from outside.

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Have an outside number ring through direct to an extension, then press some keys. Do you get hear DTMF tones? If so, are they low, are they really short?

Do you use a VoIP provider, or a gateway? Is there a second trunk group to test over?

12. Luis Santos

tried replicating this, however, i was unsuccessful. even with various DTMF methods, i was able to use a receptionist.
    if youd like i can set up a test system for you to ring into and attempt to capture the input for testing. (wireshark trace)

13. Cody Fontaine

Tones are really low and short. I will test the second trunk just to be sure.

14. Cody Fontaine

Second Trunk produces the same result. It is a voip provider not a gateway.

15. Cody Fontaine

Here is some more information:

When I call in from a Verizon wireless number it does not work and there are no DTMF tones

When I call in on a Google Voice (VOIP) number I can hear the DTMF tones fine.

When I call in on a Comcast (Xfinity) number it does not work.

16. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

What version of 3CX are you using?
    Also go to Settings > Parameters > Custom parameters and tell me the value of this parameter
    MSADDRFC2833FORINBANDDTMF
    So your 3CX version and if above is 1 or 0?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  17. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In most cases, DTMF problems are the result of incorrect DTMF Method settings (using gateways), or the use of low bit-rate codecs when attempting to use audio DTMF.

18. nb

nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Could be - but then if rfc2833 is not used google will not work. Also rfc2833 is widely used. HOWEVER guess who uses other method variants.. Carriers.
    Look at the 2 above. Both are carriers.. Lets check the type of dtmf because another trunk was checked also. So it means that these numbers from these providers provide the same issue on a secondary sip trunk.

I know that there was a version of 3CX that got confused when it heard simultaneous dtmf signals from different methods, plus I remember another issue with dtmf timing that was fixed in 15.5. Let's ensure that the 3CX version must be 15.5 SP1.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  19. Cody Fontaine

3cx 15.5
    MSADDRFC2833FORINBANDDTMF= 1

20. Cody Fontaine

Service pack 1 is applied 15.5.3849.1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.