• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Digital Receptionist : Ability to Choose MOH or Ringback tone for extension option.

brian100

Bronze Partner
Intermediate Cert.
Reaction score
When a digital receptionist (DR) is used to transfer a call to an extension.
The caller will hear "please hold while I transfer your call" and then Music on Hold (MOH).

I am getting many complaints about this.

Most callers have the belief that when they have patiently listened to the often long winded IVR from the DR that when they choose an Option e.g 1 for Sales > they should hear the ringback tone of that extension and not another "please hold while I transfer you call...." and then MOH.

Many believe that they are "on hold" and are unaware that their desired extension is actually ringing at that point. Many will hang-up stating stating "I haven't time to be on hold" - if they hear a ringback tone it gives them more confidence that their call is about to be answered.

In Summary
We need control of the MOH behavior, when a DR Action is Selected.

We need an option to allow us to have either a custom MOH or basic Ringback tone.
I have shown examples of both below.
I suppose e.g 2 in red ink, gives the most flexibility in that the custom MOH could be a recorded Ringback tone or something else if desired.

See the sample Digital Receptionist Form below
upload_2017-3-26_12-36-42.png

Reactions: solic
Upvote 20
I wholeheartedly agree with this. Callers want to hear the USProgresstone when they enter an extension. No need to "please wait" and then hear music.

I would also like to have "on hold" music when I put someone on hold, but have silence if I hit the conference button. When we are on a conference call and I need to pull someone else in from my company, I do not want the existing people on the call to be unable to talk while I am adding another person (because music is playing). My only choice now is to play "silence" for on hold music so the latter does not happen.

+1

+1
Thank you!

3CX needs more MoH/Ring back options. Having the main MoH affect so many subsystems isn't optimal.

We should definitely be able to pick between ring back or MoH when transfering from the IVR, when putting people on conference, etc. +1 for sure!

All these comments are on point. This is essential for NA. +1

+1 , thats very important to Clients feeling.

Please consider implementing this feature. The system should be able to be configured (at the same time) to:
  1. Play the US ringtones any time an extension is ringing. This includes when the IVR transfers to an extension, or a user transfers a call.
  2. Play music when a single person is on hold.
  3. When the conference button is pressed on an extension to add another caller, do NOT play any music or ringtone for the person(s) who are already on the call. They want to continue talking to one another while I add the additional person. Playing music here just interrupts the conversation.

+1 on this !
Having only MOH as an option is an annoyance.

ABSOLUTELY! This is precisely how I would implement it, and how it works on most old fashioned hardware PBX systems.

Please consider implementing this feature. The system should be able to be configured (at the same time) to:
  1. Play the US ringtones any time an extension is ringing. This includes when the IVR transfers to an extension, or a user transfers a call.
  2. Play music when a single person is on hold.
  3. When the conference button is pressed on an extension to add another caller, do NOT play any music or ringtone for the person(s) who are already on the call. They want to continue talking to one another while I add the additional person. Playing music here just interrupts the conversation.

+1 so annoying to have a short burst of music as a queue overflows or transfers to another extension etc... Customers hate it..

+1 We actually changed the MoH for ringback sound on a system because AA transfer with music was not "normal" according to clients.

How is this not possible. It is crazy to hear hold music after the digital receptionist transfers you to an extension

Hi

The downside is that the IVR doesn't even seem to state to the caller that they are being transferred to the direct dialled extension it just starts playing hold music, the caller has no idea what is happening, it would actually be better if the system stated something like "you are being transferred to extension" and then did the ringing. Unfortunately for us our previous system stated "Please wait while we transfer you to <gave name of extension>" and then did the ringing tone, so it's a big step backwards for us.
Is there any way of getting an announcement first, or achieving this using call flow designer?
Open to all suggestions on this one.
Thanks.

Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.