Digital Receptionist Answering Options

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by targeted, Mar 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. targeted

Hi,

I would like the Digital Receptionist to answer incoming external calls at all times and then take different actions based on whether the extensions are busy or not.

Example:

Incoming call:

1) - 1 or more extensions available

Digital Receptionist answers immediately and plays greeting - "Thanks for calling" or something

then if an extension is available play a message like "Please hold while I connect your call" if not answered then call should go to voicemail.

2) - No extensions available or all busy

Digital Receptionist answers immediately and plays greeting - "Thanks for calling" or something

then direct call immediately to voicemail.

I hope what I'm trying to do makes sense. I've been trying to fathom this out in 3cx but can't get my head round how I might accomplish this.

I'll be very grateful for any ideas or solutions or, other ways to acheive the same end.

Using 3cx v9 SP4.

The 3 extension phones are all in a ring group set to all ring at once and are Linksys SPA942's

Graham

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

It's not going to be able to anticipate. It's more of an If, Then, situation. When someone chooses an option, at that point the call proceeds to a ring group, etc. If all members are busy, then, the call will go where you have designated (within the ring group options) it to go, Voicemail, another ring group etc. The Digital Receptionist will still be "transferring" the call in any case. The alternative option would be for 3CX to provide ringback tone rather than the message "please wait while I transfer your call". This is what callers receive when calling in to many other systems, they are trying to make it a bit more friendly, less automated. I'm not sure if it is available on 3CX (haven't tried it), if it's not, you could submit the suggestion for future releases.

3. targeted

Your comment about ringback got me searching the forums.

I found this topic http://www.3cx.com/forums/queue-intro-music-on-hold-16449.html and I'm wondering if using a queue prompt for immediate answering then transfer to the ring group if an extension is available or, if they are all busy then failover to voicemail. I think I will have a play with this to see what happens.

You helped me to do a bit of lateral thinking which is what I needed or, a fresh viewpoint.

Thank you for the help.

Graham

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The DR can answer a call, and be set up to send the call to a ring group without any input from the caller. It doesn't have to be aware of the status of any of the RG members. The ring group options (you set this up) will take care of what to do with the call. If an extension is available, then it (they) will ring. If all are busy, then the ring group's options allows the call to be sent to an extensions VM ,or, somewhere else.

5. targeted

Yes, I understand that. I think where I'm trying to get to is that callers have an acknowledgement of some sort that the call has been answered. There have been complaints from callers that they thought they had been cut off due to the silence while waiting for either an answer or to go to voicemail. In this office time is needed to allow people to get to a phone as they are frequently working in an area which does not have phones and is not likely to have. Otherwise I would shorten the waiting time before going to voicemail.

I think trying things out to see what suits best is the way to go. No doubt I shall try all suggestions from here to see how it goes.

Again, thank you for help.

Graham

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.