digital receptionist foward to outside number fails

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by cwildermuth, Mar 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwildermuth

Hi All,

I have a problem with my set up. I'd like to have all calls go to a digital receptionist when we are closed (which is working) and the digital receptionist have options for either leaving a voicemail in a general mailbox or dialing an outside number. I set up the DR which works, and the option to forward to voicemail works as well. I also set up an extension which forwards all calls to outside number. If I dial this extension from a phone, it rings the outside number. If I choose the option to dial the outside number from the digital receptionist prompt, it says that the call can not be completed and kicks me back to the DR menu.

I tried to research this a little and found this post:
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/digital-receptionist-3778.html#p17299

I believe this poster is describing the same problem that I am having but I never saw a resolution.

Does anyone else have any ideas? Any clue why I can call the extension directly and ring an outside number but the DR can not?

Thanks,
    ~C

2. cwildermuth

Anyone have any idea? I thought for sure more people would be doing this...

3. mandev

Its not a bug, its well known that it cannot transfer to an unregisterd line.

Many many people have asked for this and I thought there was a comittment to do it.

Les

4. cwildermuth

ARGH... thanks for the answer Les. At least I know I'm not going crazy....

HOWEVER... if the issue is transfering to an unregistered phone then why does it work when I dial it directly? *shrugs*

I have to say this is massively annoying... hahahaha This was the #1 reason for installing 3CX or trying to get a phone system of sorts... Otherwise I might as well just forward all calls to my cell phone. I just wanted the calls to stop around 5 unless it was REALLY an emergency.

3CX is really cool, and very easy to use but I dont know if its the right product. I actually saw a post the other day where the lead developer seemed upset that someone was asking for a feature that regular PBXs have had for years (two stage dialing). He seemed to portray the idea that 3CX's purpose is not to replace all the features of a traditional PBS... well WTF, if that's not what 3CX is for then what is it for?? If an IP PBX isnt a replacement to a traditional PBX then why bother... :)

I guess I'll keep looking... Asterisk may be my friend again as much as I hate it....

5. Halea

Halea New Member

I have a suggestion. Try the following:
    1-First, setup a bogus extension, let's say 777. There will be no VOIP phone attached to it. So, it will always be "unregistered". Ensure that for that extension, under the "Destination Unreachable/Forwarding" the tab "Forward All Calls" is "Enabled" and you have "Forward to outside number" checked with a valid phone number like your cell.
    2-Set up a Digital Receptionist (DR), say #222. Program it so that when the caller presses 1 the action is set to "Transfer to Voice Mail" with a valid voice mail number, if 0 is pressed then the action "Connect to Extension" with the freshly created extension number 777 is engaged.
    3-Then setup your incoming phone or voip line so that during normal business hours the incoming call goes straight to your desk extension, but after hours it is directed towards the digital receptionist 222.

This will work because you are transfering to an extension (777) which is set to dial out under any circumstances, as opposed to if you forwarded to your normal extension which was programmed to dial out but it was unregistered (because you turned off your computer or whatever). I tried this approach and it works just fine. I hope I am correctly understanding your requirement.
    Good luck.
    Halea

6. danielbo

I am having that same problem. I was using the first version 1.(something). It worked great, no problems at all. I have now upgraded to the newer version 5. (something). This is the new windows version. Never had a bit of troubles before, now I get a message that says "transfer failed". I use the IVR to transfer a call to my cell number it says "please hold while I transfer your call " then with in a second or two it says "transfer failed". When I had the older version I had no problems at all. I backed up the old version and restored them on the new version. I just don't see what is wrong. I am sure there is something that is not checked on the newer version. I really hope someone could help me with this. I have looked at many of programs and this one is the greatest. It worked great for me until I upgraded. I have switched back to the old one for now, but the new version seems to have more features.
    So I am a newbie and begging for help,
    danielbo

7. Philco

Philco Member

Actually I thought the latest version 4393 8th April addressed this and now works..

Phil

8. danielbo

Where would this download be? I downloaded the one off the home web page. I dont know about the 4393 version number. Where would you find this? I switched back to the v3.0.1928.0 version for now. I know it works for me, I am one of those guys that is always excited about anything new. I just ordered a analog box to really start getting into this program. Its that old saying a boy and his toys. But if there is something new out there I would love to have it.
    Do you know of programs that you can add on to this to even make it do more? I have homeseer program now at home, that runs most of my house. Then I found this for my phone. Just got to excited about it. I tried a lot of programs and this was the only one I could get to work with Vonage softphone. I was so excited when it did.
    I have a small rental business, and this program is going to be great for me. The part where it will keep calling numbers until someone answers. So this way if one of my renters have a emergency they just have to hit one number and let the phone system try to find me. This is so cool. I would love to find a program that all they would have to do is speak to it. Like instead of pushing a button is to say "emergency" or something like that. Do you know of anything like that?
    I am just starting this and learning so I really want to thank you for all you help and information. I will get into it more again tonight, but during the day I had to go back to the old system that is working.
    Again THANK YOU,
    Dan

9. Philco

Philco Member

Hi Dan, its at the top of the 3cx General Forum, but heres the link http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhoneSystem51.msi

Note you wll have to save your configuraton and uninstall 3cx befroe installing the new one.

Phil

10. danielbo

Thanks guys, I hope to try it tonight. I am so excited about this. I am just like a child on Christmas morning. I love playing the phone and making it work to the max. I wish there were add ons to play with. I did a search to see if I could find someone that scripted different plug ins and didn't find anything.
    I do really want to say thank you for helping me learn stuff about this neat program. Its going to be a perfect program for me. I did look and I think the link you gave me is the same upgrade I was using. Question, should I program a rule for the out going calls. I did but still didn't work. Any other ideas in case this is the same program that I should be checking?
    Cant say thanks enough,
    Dan

11. Philco

Philco Member

Well your server status page should have 4393 up at the top if its the latest.

Ah, outbound rules are another thing. Theres plenty of postings on the forum on that subject. Just think about them carefully and you'll understand them.

Phil

12. phxlad

create a out bound rule for forwarding where it check for phone numbers beginning with a 5 and then strip off one number and use your out bound voip.

Add the number 5 to your forwarding number and leave the extension unregistered.

The cause of your problem is there is not out bound rule for calls that are initiated in the out side world.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.