Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Digital receptionist with SPA3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fentyler, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fentyler

Hi, new user here. I can't seem to get the 3CX digital receptionist to pick up incoming PSTN calls. I'm guessing the problem is with settings on the SPA3102 ? Any suggestions much appreciated ! Fen

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You haven't provided a great deal of information.

3. fentyler

Many apologies ! I'm very new to this technology, and have found the setting-up process rather bewildering. I've checked the 3CX logs and nothing appears to get through to 3CX from the analog phone attached to the PSTN line - although the Info tab on the SP3102 does record the Last Called number correctly. I can't for example, successfully connect to an IP extension from the analog phone (although I can do the reverse).
    What further details would you need to be able to diagnose the problem ?
    Thanks, Fen

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The 3102 is, essentially, two devices in one, with some crossovers, from one to another, available. If you are trying to use the PSTN port as a trunk into 3CX AND you want to use the ATA as an extension, then you have to be sure that the "crossover" options are NOT in place.

Go over all of your settings again. I would suggest you try to get the PSTN portion working first before attempting to add the ATA.

Be sure that the port numbers, in the ATA, match what is set-up in 3CX. The PSTN (FXO port) defaults to 5061 in the 3102. In 3CX it used to default to 5062 (I'm not sure if they corrected that or not). You need to change one end or the other, so that they match.

Be sure that your "forward" string (dial plan 8) is correct (zero's not oh's), a single mistake in there will guarantee that call won't go through to the PBX.

Can you make outgoing calls?

5. fentyler

They say a picture is worth a thousand words so here are screen dumps for the PSTN tab and Line 1 tab of SPA3102 plus some of the entries in the 3CX Phone System Management module ....

http://fentyler.co.uk/PSTN.htm
    http://fentyler.co.uk/LINE1.htm
    http://fentyler.co.uk/3CX.htm

Hope this pinpoints the problems I'm having

Thanks

Fen

6. fentyler

Sorry, leejor, our messages crossed.
    I'm not sure I understand what you mean by 'crossover' options. I've set up the SPA3102 as a Port/Trunk and the analogue phone as one of the extensions but perhaps I'm missing the point completely ? I can currently ring the analogue phone from the IP phones and I can ring the outside world from any phone. What I can't do is ring the IP phones from the analog phone nor get the Digital Receptionist to pick up an incoming call.
    Just to put a 'human touch' to this I'm a 72 year old volunteer trying to upgrade the telephone system in our Community / Youth Centre.
    Thanks again for your help
    Fen

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

OK...first off under the PSTN tab

Port should not be 5060, that is usually reserved for the LINE (telephone set/ATA) it should be either 5061 or 5062 and should match the port datafilled in the trunk setting in 3CX. You didn't include those settings in 3CX.

Dialplan 8 should contain the trunk number (10000) not the Authentication ID. That is why the call never gets through.
    PSTN ring thru Line 1 should be NO, this is one of those "crossover" things.

You might want to take the * out of the PSTN Caller ID pattern, it can causes problems with caller ID. If it doesn't then just leave it.

If you expect caller ID, but don't get it, you may need to increase the PSTN Answer Delay above 0 , I'm not sure if that is necessary in the UK.

In the LINE tab, change the port number to 5060, just to keep things "standard"

The dialplan that you have will send just about anything you dial on the phone connected to the 3102,directly out on the PSTN line and not even go to 3CX (another place where one device can crossover to the other). Start with something like (x.), and then later work on creating a dialplan. (xxxS0) , for example will send a 3 digit number immediately to 3CX (that is a zero at the end).

This is one of many sites that describes setting up Linksys dialplans.

http://www.toao.net/108-linksys-dial-plan-tips

You are going to want to create one specific to dialling through 3CX, that covers both extension numbers as well as outside calls.

It looks like you are based in the UK so there might be other settings that you may want to change from the defaults given that they are set up for the North American Market.

If you haven't done so already, change the Voicemail mailbox number from something other than the default of 999 since that is your emergency number.

8. fentyler

Thank you very much leejor - I am truly grateful for the time and effort you have put into your response.

I am planning to make all the changes you suggest when I can get back on the system tomorrow and will let you know how I get on. Best wishes, Fen

9. fentyler

Hello again. Well, mostly good news ! the PSTN phone and the IP phones now call each other with no problems and I can still dial out on all phones. Still to be fixed: (1) No ring on the PSTN phone for incoming calls (2) Digital receptionist not working

I realise I must now seriously get to grips with the Dialplans but I'd really appreciate your answer to these queries:

(1) Do dialplans apply to just outgoing calls ?
    (2) under the PSTN tab why is there an entry for dialplan 8 - why doesn't it go into dialplan 1 ?
    (3) will a properly devised dialplan go into Line 1 leaving PSTN with just its existing single entry ?

You mentioned the fact that I hadn't included the trunk setting so here it is:

http://fentyler.co.uk/trunk.htm

Best wishes, Fen

10. fentyler

Hello leejor. I've fixed the incoming caller problem - I hadn't removed the * in the PSTN Caller ID pattern as you'd advised.

Just trying to get my head round dialplans now - tricky chaps !!!

Best wishes Fen

11. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

1. There are Dialplans and there are outbound rules. Dialplans are within the ATA (the 3102) and permit or deny, or modify, or speed-up, the digits dilled on the phone plugged into the 3102. It just affects the digits dialled and then sent to 3CX. Outbound rules are within 3CX. They are what decides how your outside calls are routed. 3CX knows what to do with internal calls, extension to extension, etc. But does not know what to do when you dial a number that is meant to go "outside".

You have to create a set of rules that will send the correct digits out on the phone line (trunk) connected to the 3102.

If you just wanted to restrict calling to local numbers and you were in London where numbers were 020XXXXXXXX.
    Then you could create a rule for numbers beginning with 02, 11 digits long, strip 0 (nothing), and send out on SPA-3102 (the name you gave the trunk). You would also have to remember to create a rule to send out 999 emergency numbers, along with some to handle any other "special" numbers" that the other rules don't cover (international?). Rules are read from top to bottom until there is a match. You can create rules that allow landline calls within the UK but prevent calls to mobiles, 07 numbers. Start with the basic until you get the hang of it.

2. I don't know why 3Cx chose to use dialplan 8 in the 3102. I suppose that it was because some users might all ready be using some of the previous ones. In this case, the dialplan is not the same as the one for the ATA, this is a PSTN dialplan and is telling the 3102 to "forward", sorry "divert" the incoming call to 10000 in 3CX.

3. There are dialplans for the ATA (telephone) and dialplans and for the PSTN, within the 3102, it depends on what tab you're working under, don't forget that this is a box with two devices within.

Trunks settings look fine. For testing incoming calls you can send the calls directly to the extension, for testng.
    Be sure that you have created the Digital Receptionist correctly. You can test it internally by dialling it's number from an extension rather than calling in each time. Once you have the "bugs" worked out, then select the DR as the destination for incoming calls.

12. fentyler

Dear leejor

You are truly my 'fairy godfather' !! I do have a fair bit backround in IT but telephony is quite new to me and I know that without your help I would still be floundering. You have that wonderful gift of making things understandable and I am so grateful for the time you have spent and the patience you have shown in your replies to my questions.

Today I was busy in the Centre doing some maintenance work on our IT network in preparation for introducing the new phone system. Up to now I've been testing 3CX and SPA3102 on a 'sandbox' at home but I'm feeling sufficiently confident to take everything down to the Centre tomorrow and do the further testing needed (in particular the dialplans !) We have two buildings and their ethernet networks are connected by an aerial fibre-optic link with a pair of media converters. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this doesn't affect the quality of the phone messaging.

I will be in touch again when I hope to be able to tell you that we have a successful 'live' system. In the meantime can I thank you once again for your enormous generosity in helping me get to grips with 3CX & SPA3102

Best wishes
    Fen

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Glad to help. I try to keep the explanations simple as many people to the forum are new and it's difficult getting the information across when you aren't there to draw a picture of what you are talking about.

If the phone you have connected to the 3102 has a call display, be sure to put an NTP server (you can put in two, one as a backup) in the 3102 settings. As long as it has an internet connection it will pick up the date and time and use that on the phones call display, along with the incoming number. If you do a search on-line there are many free ones to choose from. You'll know it's working when you do a refresh and see the current time and date. You have to set the local time zone and you can set the start and end of "Summer Time", to make the transition automatically. Of course you have to have the Caller ID set for the UK.

If you don't have a copy already, here is a link to the Admin Manual, hours of good reading.

http://freddy.linuxtribe.fr/blog/spa3102/SPA_Admn_3102.pdf

14. fentyler

Thanks yet again leejor. This morning I set things up in the Centre and early indications are very good. I've also followed your advice on the NTP server and that's working well.

The outbound rule for the Youth Centre deliberately restricts calls to the local network extensions and to emergency services but it occurs to me there may be a way in 3CX to use a pin, or call the office PSTN extension, to be given a one-off outside line ?

A 'yes' or 'no' would be fine - it's time I did the work !!!!

Best wishes, Fen

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Being SIP, for the most part, all digits are sent out on the PSTN gateway at once. It's not like the old analogue PBX's where you dial 9 and are cut through to the actual dialtone from a "outside" line.

That are a couple of things you can do. If you were only using the set attached to the 3102, the dialplan in the 3102 allows for digit manipulation and the sending of digits direct to the PSTN port, bypassing 3CX . I would not recommend that bacause if you ever add any more extensions, then the same dial method would not apply.

In he outbound rules, you can create a new rule, just for one person to use, to dial any outside number (or restrict it to landlines, etc.)

Rule for Bob....5511320, 17 digits long (6 digit pin + 0+ 10 digit number), strip 6 (digits), prepend 0 (none), send out on SPA-3102.
    If Bob dialled 55113201412542127, the 6 digit "pin" would be removed and the remaining national number would be sent out.
    You would have to create a rule for each person, or you could use one rule for everyone. If you found that unauthorized calls were being placed, (someone discovered the "PIN"), the change it/them on a regular basis.

There is a lot of flexibility in the outbound rules, you can become quite creative in how people dial numbers and what is actually sent out.

If there was one number (or a few) tat people called a lot, like a taxi service. You could create a "speed dial"

Rule = Taxi , 555, 3 digits long, strip 3, prepend 01334666777, then send out on SPA-3102.

That would call the taxi number when they dial 555. And so on....

16. fentyler

Thanks leejor - that's certainly a lot more than a 'yes' or 'no' !!!

A week ago your answer would definitely have seen me losing yet more of my diminishing locks, but happily I understand this completely and will follow up on it tomorrow. I'll create the rule and then give the 'pin' to the Youth leaders - hopefully they'll keep it to themselves !!

Once again heartfelt thanks for very generous help, Fen

17. fentyler

Not sure what happened there - I submitted a reply and it vanished into the ether !

Well leejor that's rather more than a 'yes' or 'no' !!

A few days ago your message would have left me with even less hair than I'm hanging on to, but happily you've moved my understanding to a point where I feel pretty confident that I can put your 'pin' proposal into effect tomorrow. I'll give the 'pin' to the Youth leaders and hopefully they'll respect it.
    I'm also working on a general outbound rule which will preclude users dialling mobile or international numbers.

Once again many many thanks for your terrific support Fen

18. fentyler

Hello leejor
    I'm happy to report that everything is working beautifully !! We now have three extensions dotted around the buildings and if more are needed we have lots of ethernet ports !
    I've followed up on your advice regarding outbound rules (including the 'pin' idea) and those too work sure-footedly.
    Just left with one little puzzle - The Centre Manager asked me how she could access her voice mail. I'd assumed it would just be a case of dialling the pin number but that didn't work so I guess I'm missing something.
    Best regards, Fen

19. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Her voicemail where, on 3CX, or some other voicemail?

If she's trying to access her 3CX voicemail from another extension, then just dial the voicemail access number, when it asks for the PIN press the octothorp (#), it will then ask for the extension number , enter the extension number for the voicemail you wish to check.

20. fentyler

Hi leejor
    Yes, it was her 3CX voice mail. Since writing I remembered I'd changedthe voice mail number to 222 from 999 (a dodgy number in the UK !!)
    I'll try out the routine in the morning.
    As always, many thanks, Fen

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.