Direct call to number#extension - how to?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Razva, May 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razva

Hey,

Is there any way to have a direct call to an extension? For example if somebody would like to call number 1234 and reach extension 999, is there any way for a caller to call 1234#999 (or something similar) and directly reach the extension, without the need to listen to the greeting and input the extension?

Thank you

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

The first thing to keep in mind is that the system is a SIP system and has standards by which it functions. The standards (RFC) define the functionality that must be complied with in order to maintain compatibility with or allow interfacing to/between other systems so that each knows how to communicate with the other. As a result, the system can key to certain fields that are delivered to it, which typically means the DID or CID numbers.

The DID is the more common as it is used to "reach" the system (the number the caller dials), but along with the DID may come a Caller-ID (CID), If you know the CID, then you can have the system route that caller using that DID and CID combination in a different manner. Such may be the case if you want to input your wife's cell phone CID into the system and route directly to your extension rather than an IVR, receptionist, etc.

DIDs, as you are aware, are also routed and many 3CX users may have multiple DIDs with each being routed to a different location. An example of this might be that the company has one main number that most would dial and reach the IVR, etc, but the senior management, sales teams and other might have a non-published DID that is on their business cards and the like where those who know the number can dial and reach the intended recipient directly.

So, to a degree yes and possibly more so if doing direct IP calling but, most do not have that capability and I did not get the sense that this was the direction you were inquiring about.

Razva likes this.
  3. Razva

WOW, I wasn't expecting such a detailed answer. Thank you so, so much for your time and explanations!

That's exactly what I want to do! :) I want to write my extension on my business card instead of my personal cell number in order to have all the benefits of 3CX (call recording, holiday & business hours etc) but I feel like a lot of callers would prefer to call a number#extension rather than spend time listening to the greeting and inserting the extension.

Can I achieve that with 3CX?

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You will have to subscribe to DID (Direct in Dial) numbers from a provider. This sends the number dialled along with the callers number. Routing in 3CX can then be done on the number dialled to the appropriate extension.

So...while you won't be able to have someone dial your existing mobile number, they can dial a new DID number, which routes to your 3CX extension that is set to forward, or to use the Ring my Mobile at the same time option.

5. Razva

My desire was to use the same DID as the "call center" and just add my extension. I suppose this is not possible with 3CX?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The only way to do this with no additional input by the caller (not using the digital receptionist), is to route the call within 3CX using the DID number, or it can be based on caller ID, which limits to only certain callers matching the CID, or if the calls only come in on a single (unique) trunk.

7. Razva

Sorry for being so "newb" but can you please tell me a little bit more about this, if you don't mind? Sorry again for probably asking stupid questions. :|

8. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Take a look at inbound rules -> ADD CID Rule.
    Ensure that this CID rule is at the TOP of the DID rules.
    I have my home number setup to forward to my desk extension and it works as described.
    Just ensure you setup the Caller ID number as it comes in, or use a WildCard.:
    ie: *4805551212 is how I do it. That way if for some reason it comes in with a +1 before it, it will match.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Razva

I've managed to setup a rule for my wife's cell number, it's great, thank you!

Still, I cannot understand how this solves my "direct number#extension" question. Or maybe I didn't understood correctly?

10. lneblett

The short answer is that your desired method does not conform to any standard. The provider by which you dial that string would not know what it was about and while it might try and send the entire string, it would still route on the dial plan for the locale. The delivering carrier would also not know what to do with the extra digits and would likely discard them. And finally, even if the delivering provider did send the extra digits, 3CX would not know what they are about. So, as mentioned, you will need another DID for each extension that you would like to reach directly

11. Razva

Understood.

In this case do you have any idea what software is used for companies that use the standards I've mentioned? I've had numerous occasions in which I was instructed to call number#extension in order to reach a certain person. Also I was instructed to call number#whatever in order to reach a certain netmeeting etc.

Again, thank you for your huge patience! :)

12. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Any additional digits, beyond a standard length phone number, can only be input AFTER, the destination has answered. In that case you will be connected to some sort of IVR (Digital Receptionist). Depending on the maker, these can be set to give you a recording asking for a number, or could be silent, or simply provide a beep, telling you to input a number. The point is, when you pick up a phone, on the PSTN network, you can't dial more digits than the network expects, at that point. You can only add additional digits once the called party has answered and is ready to process the additional digits.

DID numbers are a way around this, but they require you subscribe to the service from your provider and set up call routing based on the DID number sent to you.

13. Hardik Soni

Hey,

Is there any way to have a direct call to an extension? For example if somebody would like to call number 1234 and reach extension 999, is there any way for a caller to call 1234#999 (or something similar) and directly reach the extension, without the need to listen to the greeting and input the extension?

And any implement in C#??

14. Razva

I had the exact same question (I'm the OP) but it seems that the general consensus is that no, at this point you cannot do it because of how VOIP/3CX works.

15. Hardik Soni

i want to do ,if any will client call using 3cx at that time i want to add extention in comming call,like automatic transfer a call using extention in C# programming???
    do you have any idea about that????

16. Hardik Soni

i want directly transfer call to counselor

17. Razva

Nope, sorry, no idea, but I'm sure that somebody else is more skilled by me.

18. Hardik Soni

Who is he/she????

19. lneblett

You are missing the point......

Before you can worry about 3CX or VoIP, you have to get the provider to accept and then transmit the dial string. If the string does not conform to the standard that the provider requires, then it will be rejected by the provider. It will never reach 3CX.

Only when the provider accepts the string and then the delivering provider delivers same unaltered, do you need to worry about 3CX.

It is not a skill set, it is based upon standards and the numbering systems throughout the globe which dial plans must meet in order to route.

You need a DID for the locale and/or a filter on the CID contained within a DID to route to a distinct extension........or direct IP dialing.

20. Hardik Soni

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.