Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

DirectSIP and CallerID issues

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by VoipX, Dec 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VoipX

Having a DID on another system with calls being forwarded directly to a SIP URL of an extension in my 3CX (I've set a SIP ID for this extension). This extension is also set to ring user's mobile simultaneously. Calls are working perfectly, however I have the following issues with the CID on calls received that way:

When call is received on 3CX client (Android) the CID of the calling party is properly displayed during the call, BUT when the call ends you don't see that number on the call history (Recent tab) - You see a call from "Direct SIP" instead. The same goes when you look on the Call Log of the 3CX console - ALL calls are being recorded as coming from : "type: 11, dn: DirectSIP" . The result is that if I missed a call I have no way to find who was calling.
    Since that extension is set to ring mobile simultaneously, on all those calls received directly to extension's SIP URL, the CID shown on the mobile is the same and this is caller ID set in this user "Outbound Caller ID" settings. So, again, no way to know who is calling or who was calling.

Any help resolving this will be much appreciated.

2. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I can only assume that the headers in the SIP messaging are at issue. As you are not using a traditional DID routing, but direct SIP to reach the desired extension, the CID has to be delivered in the messaging sent by the caller's device. Normally, the CID information is set at the PBX level or at the provider, but as you are bypassing both, this info is lacking. Unless the caller's device has a setting by which the CID can be entered and delivered in the appropriate headers, there is nothing for 3CX to acquire. Until you can get 3CX to understand, call forwarding to the cell with a CID will also be impacted.

There is also the concern that when using Direct SIP, that others can also send unwanted SIP attacks to the extension as well. You may want to review the risks accordingly and put in firewall rules at the 3CX site to limit the IPs that are allowed to traverse the firewall using port 5060 or your local SIP port at 3CX. This is a good practice regardless.

If the caller's phone is a multi-account phone, maybe you should consider using an open account and make the phone a remote extension of 3CX as well.

As it stands, you can take a capture at 3CX and see what the phone is sending in the headers so that you can see the issue and get a better understanding of what is needed. Call using direct SIP and then make a normal call and compare the two.

3. VoipX

Thank you Ineblett for your explanation and for your recommendation regarding risks associated with DirectSIP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.