• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Implemented Disable Chat - IN PROGRESS

creative3

Silver Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Add the ability to disable chat from management.

Reactions: Maciej
Upvote 35
Re: Disable Chat

From a data security perspective this is something that can prevent the deployment of the softphone as there doesn't seem to be a way to monitor or log IMs to audit whether confidential information is being shared between users

If we include monitoring, would we still want to be able to disable chat?

Absolutely. There are too many industries that either need the Chat function monitored and/or disabled due to compliance reasons. To be honest, ANY feature beyond basic telephony integrated into 3CX needs to have the capacity of being totally managed and/or disabled or it brings the risk of lost sales do to the same potential compliance issues.

Reactions: TSlocum

Nick Galea said:
If we include monitoring, would we still want to be able to disable chat?

Nick,
I'm currently considering 3CX and am extremely impressed by all of its features, but this issue is a deal breaker for my company (financial services).

Without either a server based log for auditing (preferable) or a method of globally disabling chat, we'd have to pass on 3CX.

From researching this issue, it seems to go back a few years. If there was a commitment to provide either of the aforementioned solutions, I'd even wait for the fix just so I could implement 3CX.
Thanks,

Andrew

We have decided to add the following chat features to the next version (could be SP1 if we are limited on time):

a. Ability to disable chat globally or per user
b. Ability to monitor chats centrally (user must be notified)
c. Improved notification for chats in the client

Reactions: Paul Omans
Why would a user need to be notified if you were monitoring their conversation?

Surely in a security context if user 'A' was disrespecting user 'B' to a user 'C' - surely the conversation should be monitored "silently" and then dealt with in private? rather than user 'A' and 'C' being informed their conversation is being monitored?

In a call centre environment - management would just "live listen in" to calls with no warning to the agent or customer - surely this could be the same setup?

Has this been implemented? Could really use the ability to disable chat.

Nick Galea said:
We have decided to add the following chat features to the next version (could be SP1 if we are limited on time):

fantastic!!
great work

Nick Galea said:

Is this planned for next release cycle?

It says next version ... so my guess is whenever v15 is released or v15 SP1.

matrix8 said:
To be honest, ANY feature beyond basic telephony integrated into 3CX needs to have the capacity of being totally managed and/or disabled or it brings the risk of lost sales do to the same potential compliance issues.

This is absolutely essential. I'm struggling with v15 because it breaks the DND function on my Cisco SPA phones, and it seems the only solution is the softphone. But, I can't deploy the softphone at all at my company until we can disable the switchboard entirely.

I've reverted to v14 at one location and I'm considering it at another because of my DND problems, which 3CX is unwilling to help with, by the way. 3CX seems almost hostile to suggestions or obscure bug reports.

Ideally you should be able to disable major sections/functionality embedded in the client - Chat, Web Meeting, Switchboard and even Conferencing...

TJ

Absolutely. It's basic security/permissions, that nearly all enterprise level software has.

You can already disable Webmeeting, Conferencing and Switchboard for users. We just have to update it for chat and its on the way, in fact we want to make a major upgrade to chat.

Nick Galea said:
You can already disable Webmeeting, Conferencing and Switchboard for users. We just have to update it for chat and its on the way, in fact we want to make a major upgrade to chat.

How do you disable these things?

I would also like to know how to disable the Switchboard for users of 3CXPhone for Windows. I've been unable to find a way to do that.

Has there been any development made with disabling/monitoring the chat function?

* Bump *

Any update on when this will implemented?

Thanks, TJ

Reactions: manojratnayake
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.