• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

disable dial of extensions, while in IVR

Status
Not open for further replies.

HJK

Customer
Reaction score
HI there,

Out of office hours, we send all call's to Digital receptionist: 90

For Dutch press 1: -> Digital receptionist: 91 (they hear the message in Dutch that we are closed)
For English press 2: -> Digital receptionist: 92 (they hear the message in English that we are closed)

All working fine, but we came across, that during the Digital receptionist, it is possible to dial ANY extension or Group :O
Some customers has figured this out, so for them it is still possible to let the phone rings, after office-hours.

How can I disable this behavior?

Off the top of my head, I do not think there is a setting currently available for the IVR as you have expressed. It may be something that is needed as a feature request. I imagine that there are others who rather like the ability of being able to effectively by-pass the limitation you seek so that certain clients/customers/family/etc. can reach a desired extension regardless of the IVR and without having to incur added charges for DID to those extensions otherwise. It requires some knowledge on the part of the caller to know the desired extension and I suppose that in your case, as well as others, some callers may simply try random numbers in the hope of getting someone, anyone.

There are perhaps a couple of things you can do to mitigate the issue:

1. Create the office closed IVR and use a very short message to simply identify the company, that you are closed and to call back during normal hours. Keeping it short is key. Then in the IVR itself, make no options or make all option point to the same result and only provide a timeout of 1 second and end the call. Unfortunately, the non-existent extension option in the IVR does not have the same option to end the call. However, you could create a dummy extension and direct the call there whereupon you can use the forwarding rules for an unregistered extension to handle it however you want to include ending the call. This will not prevent someone from getting inside should they push keys prior to the message being delivered, but it may avoid a lot of the unwanted calls.

2. Don't use an IVR and instead direct the call using the inbound rules to a queue. Make an intro prompt with the desired message and select no members for the queue and then have the call end. I have not tried this, but in theory it may work provided that the system will play the prompt before it checks to see if any agents are logged in. On the other hand, the system may check the agent availability first so as to provide for the possibility of faster call handling for the benefit of the caller. Try it and see.

3, At take from #1 simply direct the call using the inbound rules to the dummy extension voice mail. Do the same thing. The downside is that unless they hang-up, they may be able to leave a voice mail. Us the voice mail greeting to say the same thing you would have in the IVR.

Others on the forum will likely have other methods to add/try.

Thanks Ineblett for your suggestions..

these are all (more like dirty) workarounds..
3cx should have an option, to simply not allow this..

How can I file a feature request for this?

See... http://www.3cx.com/ideas/index.php?page=home.php&cd=10

Be sure that a similar request isn't already in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmirLD
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.