Disable/Override Field Restrictions in Extention Set-up

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by wiltech, Sep 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wiltech

Hello everyone,

Long ago, I did a work around using Rebound to create a self-answering phone system. Essentially, I created a dummy extension to receive the incoming phone call and that extension would request the name of the caller then call the physical phone extension (which had an auto-answer feature). The person at the desk receives an announcement "You have a call from ____" and they could accept or send to voicemail. The system works well, but I need to tweak the extension settings for one user and the newest upgrade causes a restriction issue. The old version did not care about setting a Rebound to an internal extension, but the newest version prohibits such a setup. I can keep my current setup intact, but I cannot modify any settings in the extension because 3CX will not apply changes while an error exists. I need to find a way to disable or override this field restriction to enable me to use the Rebound function on an internal extension and change other settings. Reviewing the advanced settings has not gotten me anywhere. Any ideas?

The error goes like this: edit extension>forwarding rules

"System extensions cannot be used as external numbers. Please enter a valid external number and try again."

2. paul.hadley

paul.hadley New Member

Can you use an out bound rule, for example your dummy extension 180

Set up a "generic sip trunk" to register with an extension number on th system using the local lan address, extension number, and password for that extension.

Set up a rule so that calls to 1800 use that "generic sip trunk", stripping out 4 digits and prefixing the number with 180. Calls to to 1800 should now go to extnsion 180

You can now enter 1800 as an external number but end up back at 180

3. wiltech

To update the situation, your solution was a successful workaround. It took a little trial and error, but it works like a champ.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.