• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Disabled Voicemail Disconnects the Call

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jono

Reaction score
If an extension's voicemail is disabled, but the forwarding rules are set to send the call to voicemail, the caller hears a message that the voicemail has been disabled, and then the call just disconnects.

In this situation, is there a way to have the call re-routed instead of just killing the call? Perhaps it can be re-routed to a digital receptionist or somewhere else? Anything is better than just killing the call, requiring the caller to call back just because he entered the wrong extension.

Thanks for any input or help on this.

On the extension which has the vm disabled, simply change the forwarding rule from "Forward to voicemail" to where ever you would like the call to go. Be sure to set it both for internal and external calls.

On the extension which has the vm disabled, simply change the forwarding rule from "Forward to voicemail" to where ever you would like the call to go. Be sure to set it both for internal and external calls.
Yes, I'm doing that now with the extensions where we don't want VM enabled (conference rooms, vacant desks, etc.), but that's a lot of settings for each extension:
4 settings for each Available status, 2 for Away, 2 for DND....

I was hoping there might be a universal setting that would prevent a call from being so unceremoniously ended if someone ends up getting sent to a disabled voicemail.

Thanks for the reply.

It really isn't any different when you reach a full mailbox, you get a message, then the call drops. The current expectation is that an extension will have voicemail enabled. The default setting, for all new extensions should really be no voicemail, and no forwarding? You would still have to set a "ring for XX seconds, then end call" time. and go and enable VM for all users that want it. Unfortunately, trying to come up with defaults that please everyone, is not going to happen. I could see having a universal setting, to change the behaviour, for all users could be dangerous.

that's a lot of settings for each extension:
4 settings for each Available status, 2 for Away, 2 for DND....
When selecting the extensions that have VM disabled, press and hold CTRL and select them all, then edit the settings as you wish. Done in a flash!

Reactions: Jono
It really isn't any different when you reach a full mailbox, you get a message, then the call drops. The current expectation is that an extension will have voicemail enabled. The default setting, for all new extensions should really be no voicemail, and no forwarding? You would still have to set a "ring for XX seconds, then end call" time. and go and enable VM for all users that want it. Unfortunately, trying to come up with defaults that please everyone, is not going to happen. I could see having a universal setting, to change the behaviour, for all users could be dangerous.
I'm not looking for a different default for new extensions. I was just hoping that there was a way to handle calls that end up in a disabled voicemail. Perhaps there could be a system-wide setting that allows me to handle a call that ends up in a disabled voicemail or for any other such dead ends in the call path.

When selecting the extensions that have VM disabled, press and hold CTRL and select them all, then edit the settings as you wish. Done in a flash!
Wow! That is wonderful. Having a way to handle all dead ends would be best, but your suggestion here speeds things up tremendously! Thanks for pointing that out!

You can submit the suggestion in the Ideas forum. The only snag i see it that "dead end" calls happen for a variety of reasons, so, a single destination for all, may not be desirable. What would that one destination be? A receptionist? A recording that tells you that your call cannot be completed, please re-dial? A fast-busy signal?

You can submit the suggestion in the Ideas forum. The only snag i see it that "dead end" calls happen for a variety of reasons, so, a single destination for all, may not be desirable. What would that one destination be? A receptionist? A recording that tells you that your call cannot be completed, please re-dial? A fast-busy signal?
Please forgive me for being unclear. I was partially speaking in hyperbole. Though there could be a bunch of possibilities for dead ends, it would still be nice to be able to handle the most common ones, such as ending up in a disabled voicemail. The one destination I would choose for that is to return the call to the digital receptionist. This would allow the caller to easily enter another extension or wait for the living receptionist instead of getting hung up on and having to call back (if they would call back). That could be overridden, if desired, in each extension, but the idea would be to try not to lose calls when possible.

Thank you for the reminder of the Ideas forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davide.luppi
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.