Disallow Completely Multiple Registrations to the Same Extension

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by olivermsubadra, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olivermsubadra

Is there any way to restrict each extension to only having one phone registered to it at one time? We're currently developing a program with an integrated softphone. Sometimes the program crashes and shuts down without executing the appropriate unregistration code, leaving that instance of the phone registered. When the user logs into the program again, they are logging in with a second instance of the phone, registering to the same extension again -- ergo, two registrations to the same extension. This appears to mess things up a bit when calls are made/received (i.e., calls never seem to get through when multiple instances of the same phone are registered to the same extension).

I can see a lot of documentation about phone provisioning and allowing multiple phones to connect to the same extension, but nothing about limiting them. Thanks for your help.

P.S., In the same sort of vein ... is there any way to unregister a registered phone/extension via the pbx management console? That would be seriously handy.

2. NickD_3CX

NickD_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Unfortunately there is no way of limiting how many different endpoints register to the same extension as far as I am aware.

Regarding the de-registration though, although there is no option to remove it, the Phone System software should purge the registration session of the crashed instance after the registration timeout that was set expires (this is set by the device registering). In your app are you setting a registration timeout? Typically this is 120 seconds. Also, does each REGISTER sequence produce a different/random Call-ID value?

If the above 2 are so, I can't see how the crashed instance may interfere, unless something is left running in the background and still responding to INVITEs or if it interfering with the new instance of the app.

3. olivermsubadra

Hi Nick,

I didn't realise that there was an expiration timeout. This was originally set to 3600 seconds -- no wonder the old registrations stuck around. Thanks for your help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.