Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

Display DID of forwarding number

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by ynd-tdw, Dec 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ynd-tdw

Scenario:

Company has multiple locations
    Caller calls an external number (A = 209-453-xxx1) or (B = 707-453-xxx2)
    Call is forwarded to a recipient within company (408-555-xxx2)
    Recipient wants a custom electronic label to display on phone:
    If 209-453-xxx1 is called then display A on phone
    If 707-453-xxx2 is called then display B on phone

Can this be done?

If so, please provide detailed steps.

Regards,

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You need to clarify the call scenarios, who the callers are (locations), what they are dialling, who has call forwarding, etc. Are the all using 3Cx PBX's?

3. ynd-tdw

The A and B numbers have been ported to Ring Central. Ring Central has been configured to forward the incoming call to the recipient which is on a 3CX phone system.

4. mixig

mixig Active Member

Try this

Attached Files:

5. ynd-tdw

Thank you for responding. I tried that; user indicates the display shows wireless caller.

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So..only the name "Wireless caller", and no number, is coming into 3CX? The 3CX logs will show what is being received. If there is no number being sent, then you may be out of luck. If a number does come through, then you can change the name display, by putting an entry in the 3CX phone book. You might be able to prepend a name onto the call.

7. ynd-tdw

Display shows wireless caller and my phone number, not the forwarding number (Number A)

Thank you

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

So...the callers number is showing up, and you want the number that they actually dialled (the one that is doing the forwarding)?

That is not the way PSTN call forwarding usually works, although I would not be surprised that there are exceptions somewhere. Most people want the originators phone number, not the number that they called, and that is what is sent. Given that most call display units are limited in the number of digits that they can display, it is not always practical to send both. You would have to contact Ring Central to see if they are able to do anything for you in regards to sending the dialled number.

9. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

I am a little confused. Where does 'my number' enter into it and what is your number?

What I understand is that you have ported 123-123-1234 to ring central. A caller (assume 123-123-1235) then dials the 1234 number whereupon ring central then sends to your 3CX instance. Contained within that call is not only the information that allows the 123-123-1234 to be identified, but also the originating caller information - maybe, maybe not.

Some SIP providers may charge for the passing in and out of caller-Id info (CNAM and/or CNUM). I am of the opinion that in most cases, if the number is there, the SIP provider will pass it through. I think it more traditional that if a charge is to occur, it will most likely come about trying to attach a name to the caller-ID number as they may need to dip into a database to attach a name.

The 3CX log file should be able to reflect what it saw as the call details which would indicate if the message contained the desired info. Of course, you could also try and use a known landline phone and possibly even outside of 3CX, ring central just to confirm that the originating caller phone & carrier is sending the callerID info. Then do the same using the same phone and carrier calling through ring central to 3CX.

MIXIG gave you the method by which the 3CX system will examine the call, determine if it is the DID of interest (1234) and then send the call to the destination as stated in the rules for this particular call and it will append the inbound rule name (as he has input "NUMBER A") to the display of the phone...if that is where the call is routed. "NUMBER A" can be any label you wish to apply as it is used merely as an identifier to help you discern either who is calling or at least which number was originally dialed to get to you at that extension. Use the same setup for the second DID line using the appropriate DID mask and a different inbound rule name.

10. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I read this as he needs to identify who the person "CALLED" - Company A or Company B.

So, in this case, the PREPEND should work to show the DID number or name called. I recommend PREPEND over APPEND, because some displays are limited to the number of characters and APPEND will run off the dispaly where PREPREND will show at the beginning.

Attached Files:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Does not the fact that you dial a DID identify the destination?

Maybe I still miss the point (often do).

I am sitting at my desk, the phone rings and I see in the display "Inbound Rule A" and provided the caller-id is available and being passed, I also might see "wireless caller" and "123-123-1235". What else do I need? I can label "Inbound Rule A" to be anything I want as long as it makes sense to me and I can see it. You can change the label to read "Joe Jones" if that is the name of the person to who the DID is associated.

BTW, I do not disagree with the settings you show below, am just struggling to understand what is really needed.

12. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

I think the feature is OFF by default - maybe not. But you are spot on.

I think some of the replies went another way and made this complicated... :mrgreen:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.