• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Distinctive Ring Feature

Status
Not open for further replies.

eQDoBBs

Forum User
Reaction score
Hi,

I have been unable to get the distinctive ringing working in our environment. I saw the following blog post highlighting new features in v11 - Distinctive ringing, which states that "Configure different ring tones for different types of call – from Queue, external, etc.
http://www.3cx.com/blog/releases/3cx-phone-system-version-11-beta-available/

We have the following requirement:

1. Calls from different sources to have distinctive ring tones to identify the correct answering method (two company presentations)
a. Grandstream FXO ports 1 & 2
b. Grandstream FXO port 3
c. VoipFone
2. We use Grandstream phones (GXP2020 and GXP 2120) and with Trixbox this works using the Alert-Info header to identify which bin file to play
3. A packet trace shows that no Alert-info headers are being sent in the SIP stream by 3CX

I have reviewed this blog post, but it is not clear on what is actually required in terms of settings in this scenario and whether things are different in v11. http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/caller-id-processing-distinctive-ringing-alert-info/

I would guess that if this is a new feature in v11, then something needs to be configured somewhere.

There seems to be conflicting information on this subject in the forums, where other users are looking for distinctive rings for Internal and External calls and I wondered if anyone had got this working.

Thanks for any help and advise anyone can provide.

Mark

Hi,

We have this feature working, you have to make the changes to the phone templates and set the required tone for each of the call types.

#---------------------------------------
# Disctinctive Ring Tone
#---------------------------------------
#Setting for distinctive ringing base on altert info
#info=external -- call from external line (no reformatting has been applied)
#info=international -- call from external line, reformatting detected international call
#info=national -- call from external line, reformatting detected national call
#info=local -- call from external line, reformatting detected local call
#info=queue -- call from queue
#info=ivr -- call from IVR

# Custom ring tone 1, used if incoming caller ID is
P105 = external

# Custom ring tone 2, used if incoming caller ID is
P106 = queue

# Custom ring tone 3, used if incoming caller ID is
P107 = ivr

David,

Here is the part of a cisco SPA 525 template for distinctive ring. I am needing to have a different ring tone for extension to extension calls and one for calls coming in from PSTN. I am just not sure of the syntax and what to modify to make this work. Do you or anyone else know this?

Code:
<!--# Setting for distinctive ringing base on altert info -->  
	<!--# info=external -- call from external line (no reformatting has been applied)-->
	<!--# info=international -- call from external line, reformatting detected international call-->
	<!--# info=national -- call from external line, reformatting detected national call-->
	<!--# info=local -- call from external line, reformatting detected local call-->
	<!--# info=queue -- call from queue-->
	<!--# info=ivr -- call from IVR-->

<Ring1 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Classic-1;w=3;c=1</Ring1> 
	<Ring2 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Classic-2;w=3;c=2</Ring2> 
	<Ring3 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Classic-3;w=3;c=3</Ring3> 
	<Ring4 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Classic-4;w=3;c=4</Ring4> 
	<Ring5 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-1;w=2;c=1</Ring5> 
	<Ring6 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-2;w=2;c=2</Ring6> 
	<Ring7 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-3;w=2;c=3</Ring7> 
	<Ring8 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-4;w=2;c=4</Ring8> 
	<Ring9 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-5;w=2;c=5</Ring9>
	<Ring10 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Office;w=4;c=1</Ring10>

That was actually an older template. Here is what the new one looks like. I am sure I need to modify the "W=3;c=2" but I am not sure what those options are.

Code:
<!--# Setting for distinctive ringing base on altert info -->  
	<!--# info=external call from external line (no reformatting has been applied)-->
	<!--# info=international call from external line, reformatting detected international call-->
	<!--# info=national call from external line, reformatting detected national call-->
	<!--# info=local call from external line, reformatting detected local call-->
	<!--# info=queue call from queue-->
	<!--# info=ivr call from IVR-->

<Ring1 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Classic-1;w=3;c=1</Ring1> 
	<Ring2 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">h=external;w=3;c=2</Ring2>
	<Ring3 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">h=international;w=3;c=3</Ring3> 
	<Ring4 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">h=national;w=3;c=4</Ring4> 
	<Ring5 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">h=local;w=2;c=1</Ring5> 
	<Ring6 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">h=queue;w=2;c=2</Ring6> 
	<Ring7 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">h=ivr;w=2;c=3</Ring7> 
	<Ring8 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-4;w=2;c=4</Ring8> 
	<Ring9 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Simple-5;w=2;c=5</Ring9>
	<Ring10 group="Phone/Ring_Tone">n=Office;w=4;c=1</Ring10>

Does w=3 simply refer to the list of ring tones available on the phone with 3 being the 3rd one in the list?

Following are some Custom Calling features:
If the primary line has Caller ID, the secondary numbers when dialed will appear on the Caller ID equipment.
If the primarily line has Call Waiting and one of the secondary numbers is called, the Call Waiting feature will work.
If the Call Waiting feature is in use and another of the secondary numbers is called, the caller will get a busy signal.
One free directory listing is included for the Distinctive Ring number. No charge for non-pub or non-listed.
:)

Thanks for your reply Eric...Im not quite sure what your talking about.

What I am trying to do is have inbound calls from the pstn have a different ring tone then extension to extension calls. I thought that is what the distinctive ring settings were for but no changes I make seem to have any effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deanhbs
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.