Distinctive Ring Tone

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by 10Gauge, Nov 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 10Gauge

3CXv12, Exterior 2N Front Door Phone, Yealink T38s throughout the building.

Need a different ring tone or other indicator when the call is incoming from someone standing at the front door, rather than the standard ring tone that comes with any other incoming call. Though the Yealinks support it, I take it that distinctive ring tones is not offered in 3CX since I can find nothing on it.

Is there any other way that comes to mind to differentiate a user standing at the front door pressing the button on a 2N SIP door phone,from just any other caller that they might allow to go to voicemail ?

I really hate to just plant a SNOM PA1 and a speaker, or an extra hard phone in the hall, just to get a distinctive ring sound. Any ideas ?

TIA

2. CentrexJ

CentrexJ Member

I would have the door phone ring a ring group. Make sure to configure 3cx to show Ring group name as a prefix. Any calls coming in from the door phone will be prefixed as "Door Phone" or whatever you call the ring group.

3CX provisions their supported phones (including Yealink) to different ring tones for different calling parties "internal, external, others" so it's possible that ring group calls may ring different than other internal calls but not 100% sure.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. 10Gauge

Yeah, it is in a ring group, but having a display message doesn't help much, these are people that are roaming nearby and not at their desk and need to know if there is someone at the front door rather than just a phone call.
    ---
    "3CX provisions their supported phones (including Yealink) to different ring tones for different calling parties "internal, external, others" so it's possible that ring group calls may ring different than other internal calls but not 100% sure."

I must have missed that - but I cannot find anything on it either - can you direct me to where that feature is discussed, anyone ?

4. mlump

mlump New Member

3CX does support distinctive ring tones but you have to have a phone that supports it. Since you do in the yealink phones the Alert Info header that gets sent with ring group calls is "queue" i believe. So if you setup a distinctive ring tone for that alert info header you should be good to go. It should look something like this.

distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.6.text = queue
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.6.ringer = "Number of the ring tone you would like to use."

Mike Lump
    ComResource.

5. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Can you send your own custom ringtones to Yealink phones via Auto Provisioning? I want to replace the 8 standard ringtones with our own and do as the aboe post, when our intercom is pressed it rings a ring group which plays one of our rings tones. I can do some via the web interface, but can't work out how via auto provisioning? Can anyone help?

6. mlump

mlump New Member

Yes they have to be a .wav file, then you will modify the following in the provisioning template for your phone.

#Before using this parameter, you should store the desired ring tone (x.wav) to the provisioning server.
    #For more information, refer to Yealink Auto Provisioning User Guide.
    ringtone.url =

An Example would be

ringtone.url = http://%%pbx_ip%%:%%pbx_http_port%%/provisioning/%%PROVSUBDIR%%/example.wav

7. mlump

mlump New Member

jasonhaye,

Did this work for you?

8. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Yes it work, we had several different tones, we just added a line for each. We called the tone "HelpDesk.wav" for example. We we were hoping was that when a call came in from the qeue "HelpDesk", we hoped it would play that ringtone, but as yet have not got that working. The tones are on the phones however.

9. mlump

mlump New Member

Unfortunately the Alert Info header used to achieve distinctive ringing does not include Queue names it just shows up as "Alert Info = queue"

To specify your custom ringtone to be used for the queue info header you would follow this:

distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.6.text = queue
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.6.ringer = "Ringtone Number"

You can find the Ringtone number for the helpdesk wav file by going to the Ring Tones options on your yealink phone and find the number that helpdesk.wav is listed there.

All of that said IF you want to use different ring tones for different queues AND each extension/phone is only a member of one queue you could setup a different model name in the provisioning template and use if model statements to specify the distinctive ringtone settings per phone model.

However the fact you only have one queue per phone in that scenario kind of defeats the purpose of distinctive ring tones. Unless 3CX makes some changes to the way they send the Alert Info headers your stuck with a single ringtone for all queue calls.

10. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Will try that. Can you allocate dofferent Ring Tones for ring groups. Does the Alert Info for a ring group give the name of the ring group say "Door Bell" or just it just say "group", as the queue say "queue"

11. mlump

mlump New Member

Actually ring groups send with the alert info header of queue as well. So if you set a specific ring tone for queues you will get the same tone on ring group calls.

12. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

Thanks. Isn't that a bit of a short fall for 3CX, almost point less having Distinctive Ring Tones if all the alert info comes out as "queue"?

13. mlump

mlump New Member

Distinctive Ringing is actually a more recent addition to 3CX and it probably could use some work. calls that come to you directly from an IVR will use an alert info header of IVR and then if you have a call come directly to your phone via a DID I believe the header is external but that is about it.

14. hfournier

So, there's still no real "official" support for distinctive ring then. I have a client that was on 3CX (v10) a while back, but moved to a hosted PBX and one of the reasons was the lack of distinctive ring support. For various reasons, now they're looking at going back to 3CX, but still want to be able to distinguish between internal vs external calls by distinctive ring.

They have Cisco SPA508G phones.

Doable or still a no go?

15. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

If you were to use a Grandstream phone, you can set CALLER ID MATCH to the doorphone extension and you can select your custom ring tome (or even make one)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  16. jasonhayes

jasonhayes New Member

We have just purchased all Yealink's manily thinking as Yealink is working with 3CX now. We have been running non-support phones on V11 for ages, now with V12 we can't, as for example we can't use the PC interface to dial a number then make the phone ring on a non CTI phone. We are going to try and upgrade to V12 over Xmas. Really wish 3CX could tell include the Ring Group or Queue name in the SIP info, then Yealink could do something with the info....

17. PhilC50

Hi all. I have been following this thread with great interest.
    We have the Yealink T46G phones. We have a couple of ring groups for two separate organizations, however the phone for both organizations is answered by one receptionist. We desperately need a different ringtone for each ring group so the receptionist can tell what organizations is being called and answer appropriately. Yes, the ring group name scrolls across the phone's display but takes a while to be visible when the person looks at the phone.

Is this at all possible? Is this supported by 3CX? If not, it would be a great feature.

Any ideas?

18. FoxhallVoIP

I've done this with Yealink T41P and T46G (multi-extension) phones by just setting up a new extension (or extensions if you want) in 3CX, and assigning that/those as 'Line 2' on the phones that you want to ring for e.g. a door entry unit. Make that/those extension part of a ring group and aim your incoming call at that. That way, you can assign whatever ringtone you want, to Line 2, and even label the key so that it's apart from the user's own line key and VERY distinctive!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.