Distinctive Ringtones Yealink T46G

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by relion1, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. relion1

I found an article (http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/caller-id-processing-distinctive-ringing-alert-info/) that explains how to set up distinctive ringtones in 3CX. The Yealink documentation from Yealink isn't very good at all. In any case, the 3CX explanation only seems to explain about how to set up ringtones for international, national, and local calls. Has anyone set up distinctive ringtones for the Yealink T46G for internal extensions and incoming calls? All incoming calls from outside callers with one ringtone and all internal company calls a different one?

If so, I would appreciate any help you can provide.

Thanks much!

2. roland_3CX

roland_3CX New Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Relion,

In order to configure distinctive ringing you shall have to edit the T46 templates "distinctive ring tones" section.

For ease of reference when creating custom templates, kindly refer to the following and the link within: http://www.3cx.com/blog/voip-howto/phone-provisioning-complete-guide/

Please note that custom templates vary as per user alterations. We may provide information as how to best alter, save and utilize these templates, but once customized, we shall not be able to provide you with support.

3. relion1

Thank you for your reply. I see the distinctive ring tone section but do not understand how to differentiate between an internal caller (from an internal extension) and an outside caller. An internal caller does not go through the gateway so the Caller ID settings in the post I found (see my original post) don't seem to be useful in this example. I can change the template for the T46G in the Distinctive Ring section to:
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.1.text = internal

But will that do it (it seems like there is something missing)? Is there anything else that needs to be done? You mention that you can help with the template editing so if you could please help with the editing. Should I submit a ticket for this or can you help here?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4. bluenetworks

I have just gone through exactly this and the answer was.....that it is already doing it with my Yealink T46G phones. If you listen to the ring tones carefully....as I did after years of playing with it, you will notice the External calls provide 2 short ring tones while internal calls provide 1 long ring. It is confusing because they are so similar that you just do not notice the difference.

So, if you are happy to work with that, then you have your answer. On the other hand, if you would prefer to set all phones to have a very distinct ring tone for internal calls….and it seems like you probably will, then you need to do the following:
    • Open 3CX Console
    • Select Phones
    • Click on each phone one at a time
    • Launch Phone Interface
    • Login
    • Settings | Preference | Ring Type | Set to Ring3.wav (My recommendation)
    • Confirm

If you want to do that in the template then set the following:
    phone_setting.ring_type = Resource:Ring3.wav
    ...and then re-provision the phones....

I don't know what the hell that article you referred to was about......I spent a couple of hours trying to work that out as well :)

5. relion1

Thanks much!!!! I guess I wasted a ton of time but at least it's over now.

6. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

This is helpful for the T42G and 3CX v15 as well. To summarize some additional findings:

1. 3CX tags external calls with this line in the SIP INVITE:

Alert-Info: <http://www.notused.invalidtld>;info=external

The 3CX Yealink config template maps

distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.2.text = external
    distinctive_ring_tones.alert_info.2.ringer = 2

This means "external" calls will use Ring2.wav. See also the phone's Settings > Ring screen.

2. 3CX does not tag internal calls with an Alert-Info field in the SIP INVITE, so they are handled by the phone's default, set in the phone UI as Settings > Preference > Ring Type or in the config file as phone_setting.ring_type. The default is Ring1.wav, which is very similar to Ring2.wav. Setting that to Ring3.wav has a lower pitch and is more distinctive.

The article referenced above refers to tagging calls as international, national, or local, but I'm not seeing that in a brief test.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.