• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Distorted audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

that1guy

Gold Partner
Advanced Certified
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am using 3cx v12.0.4xxx with a Patton 4114sn gateway.
Server: Win7 Pro, 4gb ram, i3-3240 CPU @ 3.4GHz, 500gb hdd.

The issue:
When a call is in progress, and a second call comes in, the second call is distorted. I've noticed any call after the first is distorted. This also only seems to happen with incoming calls, and only while one call is already in progress. Outbound calls do not have distortion.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Is this a dedicated network, VLAN, or do you have other devices on the network?

Given the version of 3CX (12), I assume that the system has been installed for quite some time and that the issue has only recently arisen?
Can you describe the distortion?

Check the 3CX Activity log and compare the first call to subsequent calls. Any issues with Codecs or other errors showing? Have there been any hardware/software changes on your network that happen to coincide with the issue staring?

@AlexDBarrett There are other devices on the network.
@n2 That would be correct. Users report callers sound fuzzy/have a robot voice. As I said this is only happening to calls answered after one call is in progress.
@leejor There are no errors from the activity log.

If you have a read through this...http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/voice/voice-quality/30141-symptoms.html#anc23

It suggests that the "robotic" type voice is related to jitter issues. Have you done any tests to see if it is calls that originate on a line other than line one that this only happens on? In other words, if all lines are idle and a call comes in on line two or three, then a second calls comes in on line one, does this still occur? Do you have any other trunking in use? If so , does this happen on those trunks? Have you tried re-provisioning the Gateway? There could be a jitter, or other setting that somehow changed, or was never correct to begin with.

In my experience with Patton gateways, the voice quality has been sub-par on all installations utilizing a gateway. Even when auto-provisioning the gateway using 3CX's template. My suggestion would be to get a SIP trunk and test the call quality over SIP vs the gateway, to determine if its a network issue or gateway issue.

@teldata1 has a point, test with a SIP trunk.
I ask if you have other devices as you may be experiencing an issue with network traffic. VLANs are the way forward if you have suitable switches or ability to set traffic prioritisation.
You can also try setting up a dedicated network for voice.

@leejor Thanks for the article. I will need to test for jitter. I have called in on line 2 and had the user answer line 2, then another user answer line 1. The distortion occurs on line 1. Repeated the test, this time answering line 1 first. Users reported distortion on line 2. We only have one trunk. The patton has been reprovisioned without any luck.

@teldata1 I agree. I have noticed sub par performance from the Pattons compared to SIP Trunking. Unfortunately, the client wants to keep their current setup.

@AlexDBarrett To my knowledge, no other issues on the network have been reported. The client is a relatively small business and is more focused on making the current equipment work "like it always has", regardless of the aging hardware and software.

Don't recall voice quality issues, of this sort (second, or subsequent line, being the issue) with a local gateway, in the past. The fact the outbound calls are OK, would suggest that network congestion isn't the issue. But I have seen instances where a new, or faulty switch, on the network has caused completely unexpected problems. Could this be a Codec issue? Calls originating from the gateway will use the Codec the gateway chooses. Perhaps the choice, at the gateway end, need to be "restricted", or the order changed, to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks for all your help folks. I will need to check the gateway codecs. We did replace the gateway a few months ago with a brand new one, however I don't think that any other hardware has been changed. Hard to say.

What was the reason for replacement? Do you still have that box, for testing/comparing settings?

The box "mysteriously fell" from the top of the server rack and was badly damaged when it hit the floor. We no longer have the box.

Yes, I've heard of a number of fatal injuries, suffered, when trying to escape. My condolences. I recommend shorter cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.