DND and BLF - Ugly Solution

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Daniel Lent, Dec 19, 2016.

?

DND should show on a phone's BLF key

1. YES

11 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daniel Lent

So, I'm sure a few people will be running into the same situation that I have. Figured out a solution that I feel all sorts of wrong for coming up with, but it seems to be working for this client for now.

We migrated them from a Xorcom PBX (Asterisk based) to a 3CX install. Most of it went without a hitch, except for a feature they considered REQUIRED that they didn't tell us was a requirement. Being able to see a user in do not disturb on the BLF on their Yealink phones. Fortunately, they only required one user to use the DND mode.

3CX does not use the same solution that Asterisk apparently does, and treats the BLF as a pure BLF only. Actually, much like other phone systems. I think from what I have seen with Asterisk, it broadcasts that the ext is busy from the server once DND is set.

So, the solution is to tie up the extension with a "call".

There's two ways that I see how to do it with the Yealink phones with the help of their XML browser, but I could only get one to work because I do not know how to delay button presses or certain button presses might just not be allowed during a call.

I created two XML files, dndon.xml and dndoff.xml and placed them on the 3cx server in the provisioning directory. Respectively, I labeled and set two BLF keys from the phone config for the XML browser since this isn't available in the 3CX options for the keys.

dndon.xml looks like:
    <PhoneExecute Beep="yes">
    <ExecuteItem URI="Dial: SP10"/>
    <ExecuteItem URI="Key: HEADSET"/>
    </PhoneExecute>

dndoff.xml looks like:
    <PhoneExecute Beep="yes">
    <ExecuteItem URI="Key: CANCEL"/>
    <ExecuteItem URI="Key: HEADSET"/>
    </PhoneExecute>

If this helps someone else, great. If someone else comes up with a better method/idea, better. If 3CX would just implement some method to broadcast the status to the BLF keys as a feature, that'd be great.

2. cobaltit

cobaltit Active Member

I don't know if this will happen anytime soon. Asterisk uses a feature built into the SIP stack called 'hints' to accomplish what you are trying to do. I don't know if the 3CX SIP stack has this ability (I'm guessing it doesn't) and I don't see them changing it anytime soon. It would be great if 3CX looked into doing some XML apps like Schmooze developed but I wouldn't bet on it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Rudy Scott

Thanks--this workaround is very useful. Is there an IDEA post somewhere for implementing this functionality in 3CX somewhere? I thought I saw one, but now I can't find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.