Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

DND Phone Display & 3CX Status

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by kenttec, Nov 17, 2016.

DND Phone Display & 3CX Status 5 5 14votes
5/5, 14 votes

1. kenttec

It would be nice to display the extension status, mainly DND both on the phone and on the 3CX Management/3CXPhone. If I enable DND on the phone *32 nothing is displayed on it. The 3CX Management and 3CXPhone show it as on DND but a user with no software doesnt know if they are or not.

tech10 likes this.
  2. jrjohnson

I would also benefit from this. Currently, there doesn't seem to be a way to make this work as it needs to. The BLF changes to red while the extension is registering it's status but immediately changes to green as soon as that process is finished.

3. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

What phones are you using? I am using Grandstream and when I push the DND button - the screen gets an overlay that says "Do Not Disturb" and it dials *32 to the PBX. So this is a phone issue to display it is in DND mode.

Press it again - the overlay goes away and it dials *30.

The Yealinks used to have this DND ON/DND Off - but not seeing it in the current firmware. But I do see a reference in the Template.

As far as the light changing color when the phone is in DND - I do not believe this is part of the standard for BLF.
    BLF stands for "Busy Lamp Field" - and so, it does exactly that. Tells you if the phone is busy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #3 craigreilly, Mar 15, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  4. jrjohnson

Right now, I have the phones configured to display when it is in DND mode itself. With the new firmware, I have it set to display large on the screen, the DND status. That works perfectly fine. I need other extensions to be able to look at their BLF and see this status also. I can look at the status of the extension in 3CX and verify that they are indeed in DND mode so I know the request is at least getting through.

I use Yealink T19P, T42G, and T46G phones with the newest 3CX SP5 firmware and templates.

5. craigreilly

As far as the light changing color when the phone is in DND - I do not believe this is part of the standard for BLF.
    BLF stands for "Busy Lamp Field" - and so, it does exactly that. Tells you if the phone is busy.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. jrjohnson

If the phone is in DND mode, why shouldn't that count as busy? DND, for here at least, usually means that a person is either busy and/or unavailable. Our previous analog phone system had this feature, which was likely as old as I was by the time we replaced it, so it's not exactly a new or foreign concept.

Daniel Lent likes this.
  7. tech10

Agree - every system I have ever seen or set up has this feature. Misnomer or not, setting DND on your phone should be highly visible to other users.

Daniel Lent likes this.
  8. craigreilly

The set of standards are different for SIP. 3cx is a standards based system - it allows you to choose almost any phone and it will work.

9. tech10

How is this relevant? "BLF key" is just another name for "phone button". No one is asking for an expansion of the BLF standards, only that pressing the DND key be visible to other users.

Daniel Lent likes this.
  10. craigreilly

DND is not a SIP Standard...
    The BLF - Busy Lamp - means "phone is busy"...

I understand what you are saying and asking. But first - get the phone manufacturers to understand DND as a status.
    3cx can't do it if the phone doesn't support it.

11. tech10

All that is needed is for a light on a button to change from green to red. It seems to me that if the 3CX system can change that light color on other phones when a user is on a call, it should be able to do the same thing when DND is selected.

I fully admit to not having deep knowledge of 3CX programming/protocols, and I don't want to sound like a jerk, but this certainly seems like something that should be doable.

Daniel Lent likes this.
  12. DFP

DFP

I would agree with @tech10 on this. That is all we want as well.