DNS Requirements

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Mar 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

Please correct me if I am wrong

For the 3CX system the only issue reguarding DNS is a resolution of the IP Address of the PC/Server Hosting the 3CX PBX so that only one FQDN A record is at issue.

Public FQDN resolved by DNS Server on the Internet and Private FQDN resolved by a DNS Server on the Private Network. One A Record each

In reviewing the Form and Documentation there seems to be a suggested difference between

External FQDN and Internal FQDN
    and
    Split DNS

To my mind they are one in the same

SPLIT DNS is where the IP Address to which a DNS Name resolves is dependent on the location of the client. Local Private Network Side Client DNS entries resolve to a different IP Addres than a Remote Client DNS entry resolves to its public counterpart.

So I have a PUBLIC DNS Server A record phone.csmi.com that points to my PUBLIC IP address

and

A private side DNS Server with an A Record phone.csmi.com that points to the private address of the 3CX server

If External FQDN and Internal FQDN
    and
    Split DNS

Are different can someone enlighten me

2. cfive

cfive Member

" So I have a PUBLIC DNS Server A record phone.csmi.com that points to my PUBLIC IP address

and

A private side DNS Server with an A Record phone.csmi.com that points to the private address of the 3CX server"

That would be "split DNS" - where a single FQDN points to two addresses, depending on where the DNS query is answered.

External and Internal would be like this:

Internal: phone.csmi.local - internal DNS resolver points to private lan IP.
    External: phone.csmi.com - external DNS resolver points to public IP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

Thanks, that is what I thought

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.