Do I really need Apache on an IIS machine?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by fischershaw, Jan 8, 2007.

1. fischershaw

I have IIS installed on a server. Why does Apache need to be installed as well, especially as it appears to interfere with remote sessions (When 3CX services are running, a remote session will hang if a cookie warning dialog is displayed in IE)? OK, it could be any one of the other 3CX services causing the hang, but Apache seems the likely candidate.

2. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Apache is required

Hi,

We integrated Apache in our system, so that we would be independent of IIS versions and so on. We actually run on a different port and apache is small and performant.

however we can look into this issue. if i understand right on your installation one of the services is running if one runs IE which does not allow cookies automatically?

3. fischershaw

System is running IIS, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, and is a DC.
    Ensure you have all the latest Win2003 Server updates.
    Log on remotely.
    Open IE.
    Change cookie settings to prompt.
    Go to a page that sends a cookie (like 3cx forums).
    Session hangs when prompt is displayed by IE.
    DNS appears to be hung as well.

Circumstantial evidence only, but it was functioning before 3cx installation. Heard reports elsewhere on the net about IE trouble after 3cx installation/de-installation, and of course I have to blame someone...

Thanks.

4. Watashi_FR

The question would be why you would want to open IE in a remote desktop session to access the 3CX server in the first place...
    By the way, I can't reproduce the problem on Win2K.

5. fischershaw

I am not sure if you understand. I am remotely administering a server which is running the 3cx s/w. Within that remote session I happen to open IE (a perfectly normal thing to do I would think).

So the repro instructions should say:

Within the remote session open IE
    etc.

No doubt W2K does not produce the same results, as 2003 Server is a different release, and running quit different services, as listed in the previous post. I think you would have to set up a server to replicate. At some point I will get around to setting up the machine from scratch again and test without 3cx, but that is a whole day of work I want to avoid right now.

6. Watashi_FR

I did understand about opening IE in the remote session, but I was wondering if it would not be equally effective to simply open the admin site from externally (thus IE outside the remote session). I would have had to elaborate that my 3CX is running on a W2K server that is running the same services you mentioned, i.e. Exchange, DNS, DHCP and DC.

7. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Browser issue

However i believe this to be a browser issue.

In the procedure you described to duplicate it, you mentioned going to the 3CX forums. This is actually a standard bulletin board software (PHPbb) running on IIS and so if this has a problem, or indeed any software that sets a cookie then its an issue with the browser not apache?