Do not allow beta update onto production by default

Discussion in 'Ideas' started by mcbsys, May 30, 2017.

Do not allow beta update onto production by default 5 5 12votes
5/5, 12 votes

1. mcbsys

mcbsys New Member

It’s a bad idea to make beta software available by default as an instant update. Too many people will see that little red “updates available” bubble and think they need to apply updates until the bubble goes away:
    3CX Updates 1.png

And for some reason, the 3CX Clients, SIP Trunks, and Other sections don’t even have the “Release/Beta” column: 3CX beta.png

It is convenient for testers to be able to update to beta through the dashboard, but currently it's too easy for others to unknowingly or accidentally install beta software. Beta installation should be disabled by default. This could be as simple as including a "show beta software" check box in the header of the updates screen. If it's not checked (the default), beta software is not listed and is not included in the "bubble" count of available updates.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #1 mcbsys, May 30, 2017
    Last edited: May 30, 2017
    jj1, slilie and tony722 like this.
  2. JonnyM

I agree with this, I asked if there was a way to opt-out of being offered beta software releases in the thread for the latest beta, and was told that it wasn't a feature that 3CX were looking to implement.

I appreciate that people do want to test things, but beta releases should be opt-in.

jj1 likes this.
  3. jj1

jj1

Agreed, some clients also access the management console and may be confused by Beta updates being offered