• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Implemented Do not deprecate 3CXPhone for Windows

Silly English Kniggit

Reaction score
The web soft phone will not replace 3CXPhone for Windows - please do not deprecate it.

Upvote 68
What are your thoughts on this - why will it NOT replace the current softphone? Or more precisely, why do you feel is shouldn't replace the current softphone?

Reactions: Nick Galea
We have a lot of clients using the Outlook integration to dial from Outlook contacts. Also, agree that the CRM integration would still need to function.

Reactions: Markus Schröder
Reasons why we still need 3cxClient/3cxPhone (which webclient can't do)

1) Auto change presence when idle
2) Minimise to systray
3) Auto launch + logon + minimise to tray, all automatically when user logs in.
4) Tapi, so applications can dial out through 3cxPhone
5) Outlook contact, dial
6) More reliable toaster pops on incoming call. (rbtray can minimise webclient to tray, but then the toaster pops sometimes dont work)
7) 3cxPhone might have better audio quality and QoS than webclient.

Top of my list is, please don't remove CTI from 3cxPhone for Windows.

2) Minimise to systray
5) Outlook contact, dial
6) More reliable toaster pops on incoming call. (rbtray can minimise webclient to tray, but then the toaster pops sometimes dont work)

I'm with you! It's a big difference if you start you PC and your phone is instant available without the need to enter a password, etc. and start a web browser, enter a password and hope that the last browser update does not break everything.

Also if people have 10000000 tabs inside browser i can hear them cry "i cant find my phone!".

A full browser based phone is really nice. But even if it has the same feature set as the desktop client. The useablity is not the same.

8) 3cxPhone is small and handy, webclient takes too much realestate
9) Keep on top of other apps.

Reactions: Paul@ISO
The web client will be beefed up with plenty of those features in the next version and subsequent updates. For example:

Outlook contact dial
TAPI
Easier logon via Google or MSFT logon servers
Additional switchboard views
CRM integration is already much improved over the current one but needs a few more features for outbound.
Improved integration with windows etc.

Auto start of the web app can already be done but we will look into different views as well to automate / auto deploy in this way.

As we already said the windows softphone will remain and so the audio quality point palmaz mentioned is moot - you will not be forced to use the web based softphone. There are huge deploy and admin advantages to the web based user client version.

But there is no question that the control & extension admin features will be in the web client only in time. We are not going to have two teams develop the same feature set in another client with subsequent issues this brings about and add to the overall bulk and work of the product. We aim to keep our product compact, small easy to run and moving with the times. This is the philosophy of our product.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for clarity, it's great to hear a bit of roadmap detail, and good to know that those features will exist in webclient. I still think it's a shame that 3cxClient will loose deskphone control, but I understand the need to keep development lean and focused.

3cx is an impressive product and we look forward those future improvements.
Thanks for the response :)

@palmaz - thank you for your understanding and feedback :) I do understand why the windows client is better in some cases, but as with all things in life some trade off is needed, some things work nice in a desktop app but overall a good web based app is the way to go.

Just to be clear you can keep running the windows softphone along side the web client no problem. All basic features will be there such as presence, notifications etc. And its perfectly fine to keep using it for outbound calling only as well. (and choose which client you want to use to answer the inbound call) Personally i find myself using my smartphone more and more for the calls and controlling it from the web client.

Extension admin (config of forwarding rules etc), switchboard views etc will be in web client only - in the future) CTI i believe it makes sense to have from the web client only. Again the current web client will be much improved and the web softphone is just an alpha version to show you what we are working on.....

We are already working on v16 and i believe you are going to like the new webclient improvements....

Easier logon via Google or MSFT logon servers

Are there plans to make a login to the webclient via the desktop client? Like Dropbox and others, so you just click a button inside the client and a browser opens with and logged in webclient.

For users this would feel like the web client is an extension of the desktop client and not a complete own thing.

HI Benedikt - Yes absolutely, we will be doing this - amongst other things - to make transition more seamless.

+1

Hi,
some of my customer don´t use of security reason no Google Chrome, they´ll use Firefox.

Bye
Timm

my customers only use firefox esr (only a handfull ppl are allowed to use internet explorer for specific websites).
google's browser do not really fit for enterprise.

Reactions: complit
8) 3cxPhone is small and handy, webclient takes too much realestate

Browsers use too much memory ... and crash.
"Mission critical" functionality such as phone should not be 100% dependent on a browser i/face and browser performance

No-one will argue about improving the webclient with new features. And probably not with reserving certain configuration functionality to the webclient, and not providing it in the desktop app.

But it's a mistake of staggering proportions to consider that a webclient can perform like an app does. The softphone must stay and must have a minimum feature set.

I think that the webclient have a much better UI and is responsive. It can also used with a touch screen and high resolution displays, like a Surface. At the moment some features are missing like this listed by @palmaz. Another thing I miss is the possibility to change the BLF-Keys for the deskphone. And my idea https://www.3cx.com/community/posts/221077/ - Make Transfer on Webclient more touch-/userfriendly

And I think Chrome is also enterprise ready. There are also group policy templates available.

@[email protected] - thank you for your nice feedback. yes we are working on making BLF keys editable from the webclient. There will be a host of new features for the web client in V16

2) Minimise to systray
5) Outlook contact, dial

Additionally the 3CX Client is very costumizable through XML-File.
I can preconfigure mutliple settings for users, best example: Popup chat messages etc.
The web Client isn't, -currently-.

Regards,
Thomas

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TLK
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.