Do not disturb does not register

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by kustura, Nov 4, 2007.

1. kustura

I have a Linksys SPA921 and SPA962 phones configured with 3CX Enterprise. When I set either phone on DND, extension status in Call Assistant does not change to busy. Has anyone gotten this configured successfully?

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Same issue but it gets worse! If someone tries to transfer a call to you they cannot because it won't ring and gets bounced back and can't go to VM either.

I'm hoping they fix that in version 4 so you can transfer to VM from an extension without having to have the phone ring.

The DND function is part of the SPA900 series and not part of 3CX.

3. kustura

I have not noticed that problem, but will test and will let you know if I have the same problem.

DND is a feature of every IP phone and every PBX phone. PBX system must be able to distinguish if a phone is on DND, and act accordingly. It would be great if 3CX would recognize DND and allow us to program the system to ring busy or go straight into VM, based on customers' preference.

4. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Actually, a phone doesn't notify PBX when it goes to DND mode (if you don't believe me - just make a SIP packets capture). So, PBX is not aware if a phone is in DND mode and can not show that status in Line Monitor.
    Then, when in DND some phones responds with Busy, and PBX correctly treat it exactly as Busy signal. Some phones responds with 302. Currently, we don't have proper support for 302 (redirection), but it will be implemented quite soon (in a day or two).

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

That's great news. So if a phone is on DND, I need it to let a call be transferred (attended or blind) to VM.

6. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Yes, you can transfer to VM directly by using param 'user=vmail'. For example, if you want to transfer a call to VMailbox of ext. 100 you need make transfer to <sip:100@192.168.1.1;user=vmail>

7. kustura

Is there any other way to implement this? I have researched quite a few IP PBX systems (I must say that 3CX is the easiest to use and implement by far) and one of them has this feature implemented by dialing *8 or some key combination. This lets the PBX know that the phone is in DND mode. This would be very useful for the receptionist so they can see visually if an extension is unavailable. This is extremely useful due to the fact that 3CX does not support transfer out of VM as of yet. Here is a scenario:
    - caller calls into a live receptionist
    - asks for extension xxx
    - receptionist blind transfers
    - caller goes into VM, but wants to talk to someone else instead
    - has to hang up and call back
    - big annoyance

Of course, this could be solved with a feature that allows dial out of VM, but it would still be useful to have DND status available to the receptionist.

Thanks,
    Tom

8. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

So how does a secretary do this?

9. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

It can be implemented by phone manufacturer :)

10. kustura

Ok, we are trying to sell your product so we would appreciate real responses, not sarcastic ones. DND and forwarding into voicemail is a real issue. Do you have a solution or are you telilng us that we are out of luck and asking us to take it up wit the phone vendor? I don't think that is the correct attitude for a company that is trying to grow its market thru VARs.

11. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

May be there's some misunderstanding. Some phones allows you to program a key. You may assign to some key transfer to that SIP address of Vmail-box. Sorry, but there's no other way to transfer to VM directly from the phone ATM. But we're thinking how to implement this neat feature in the future versions of PBX. Please mind, that we're very limited by phones abilities and compatibility issues.

12. kustura

Easy way to do it is to assign a key combination to transfer directly into VM, such as *+extension number. I have seen that implemented in Brekeke IP PBX.

As far as DND, why can't you poll phones for their status every 10 seconds to find out if they are DND? Switchvox PBX has this feature.

Not trying to knock 3CX, I love the product, it is much easier to implement and maintain than those others mentioned, but it is lacking some basic PBX features. It works well for really small installations, but companies with more than 10 users want more advanced features. I don't know how other VARs were able to sell it without these features, but I am having a hard time with couple of customers who are stuck on wanting these features.

Seems to me these features would be easy to implement.

13. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Good idea, we will seriosely consider it.

Sorry, but I have a little experience with other PBXes. May be you can suggest how they poll phones for their DND status? I have no idea.

14. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

I agree with kustura, we need a way to transfer to VM if DND is on. If you are in a meeting with someone and have DND on so you don't get inturrupted by the phone ringing how is someone supposed to get their missed calls if they cannot be sent to VM?
    PBXs from 20 years ago do this without any issues. Not sure how * handles this but we need something that works.

I don't mind the idea of having an extra *ext or something but in a larger install you don't know if the person is available or not. The secretary tries to transfer and gets put into VM right away and you're now stuck not being able to get the caller into VM.

15. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Again, if your phone responds 'Busy' when DND is set - than there's no problem. Just make forwarding rule on Busy pointing to your VMail - and all will work perfectly.
    If your phone uses '302 Moved temporarily' message for DND - than you can use 'sip:100@yourpbx-ip;user=vmail' as a target for redirection - it also should work (since beta though).
    May be I got lost, but I don't see a problem. Can you point it out in one sentence?

16. Hoover87

I want to know how you can be on the development team and then say that you don't have much experience with other PBX's!

I am astonished by how many times I have read posts on this forum where people request a feature that is very common amongst the PBX's of today and then for 3CX to act like we are all crazy.

It would do your company WONDERS to actually take the time to look at what the competition is offering. Look at the feature lists of other IP PBX's, Cisco, Avaya, etc....

Your product is cool, but that is because it is free/cheap and native to windows, but it is far from God's gift to IP PBX's.

I would just like to see you as a company humble yourselves a bit, reduce the sacasm, take a look at what else is out there and compete with it seriously.

17. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Ok, let's talk seriousely now.
    First, I'm developer, but it doesn't mean that I'm the only who makes decisions what to do and in which order. May be you don't know, but we have marketing dept. and also president of company, who makes such decisions.

Second, I can't even imagine how to poll any phone about dnd state. Snom or GXP, for example, will never tell it, unless you're making a call. If you know how to do it - we're open for suggestions.

18. kustura

archie,

SNOM phones have an option to "tell" the PBX if it is on DND. There is an option in preferences:
    SNOM documentation says:
    Right now my Linksys phones work OK because they send "486 Busy Here" when on DND, and 3CX interprets that correctly and transfers to VM. However, SNOM phones send back "480 Do Not Disturb", and 3CX sends a busy signal to the caller. What happnes is noone can transfer calls to SNOM phone extensions when they are on DND as they ring busy and transfer fails. Since there is no option to transfer directly to VM, someone has to write down a message. Whats worse is that when Digital Receptionist attempts to transfer to a SNOM phone that is on DND, it fails and sends back a message to the caller saying "Transfer Failed".
    This looks very bad for the customer in the eyes of their customers trying to call them.

19. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Actually, there's option to forward directly to VM - just add VM prefix. By default it is *4. So, if you need to transfer to VM of Ext.123 - transfer to *4123. And, as far as I remember, SNOM has ability to redirect call in DND. So you may just specify redirection to VM on DND.

20. kustura

Thank you, thank you, thank you for revealing the transfer to VM code! Why was that so hard?

Thank you for this suggestion:
    But isn't it easier for 3CX to handle code 480 the same way it handles code 486?? If I program the DND button on SNOM phones to redirect, that causes other problems. For example, the phone does not display DND status so the user doesn't know if they are on DND or not.

Even so, it didn't work. I tried to program SNOM phone with F_REDIRECT code, but it didn't work, 3CX interpreted it as "302 Temporarily moved" and ignored the redirection argument. I configured it exactly as SNOM suggests in their manual.

Please, please, change the way 3CX handles code 480. I see no reason it is treated differently than code 486. According to SIP standards, 480 means "Temporarily unavailable". My extension setting is set to "Forward to VM" on "Phone unregistered" and "Phone busy". Why does 3CX handle code 480 by bouncing the call back. If there is a reason for it please explain and I will be content, but I don't see it and this is causing problems. Obviously everyone using SNOM phones is going to have this problem.

Thanks,
    Tom