• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Do Not Use STUN Option Required

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJReplay

Reaction score
I've put this in the general forum rather than feature requests, because I believe this is a defect rather than a feature request: User who have static IPs (I would guess this is most users), and know how to configure a NAT device should be able to get more reliable operation by telling 3CX server the Server's external & internal IP addresses, and telling 3CX not to attempt to determine the external IP address using STUN.

It appears that failed STUN resolution (due to timeouts, and possibly even failure to open ports for outgoing STUN requests) causes 3CX to then fail to register to VOIP providers - even though the external IP has not changed.

I'm assuming that the key reason the server is using STUN is to determine the external IP to use when registering - if so, the administrator should be able to say "I know what I'm doing, I know what the external IP address is, and I've configured any routers and NATs between the external IP and the internal IP to pass traffic required by the PBX, so please just register using the specified external IP".

The inability to specify network configuration seems philosophically at odds with the detailed configuration around recognising and authorising incoming SIP requests: the degree of configurability here appears to allow the power user to do whatever they need to (and the defaults appear to be designed to work for most cases), but STUN resolution on the other hand appears to prevent power users configuring the system, and seems not to work reliably for (what I would consider) the default user who does have a fixed IP when the 3CX STUN servers (the default servers) are overloaded or simply don't respond in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.