Do phones with custom templates always show up in red?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by msnyder, Aug 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. msnyder

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2017
    Messages:
    24
    Likes Received:
    3
    Do phones with custom templates always show up in red?
     
  2. AndreasPo_3CX

    AndreasPo_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2017
    Messages:
    138
    Likes Received:
    12
    Hello @msnyder

    Yes, phones will be listed in red if they are using a custom template or different than the latest supported firmware.
     
  3. Teddy F.

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2017
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    5
    Please, please, please change this 3CX. Having custom template in BRIGHT RED is not fair. Remember we are building support for devices that otherwise would NOT be supported by your software and that is good for business! Why penalize us?!
     
    altel likes this.
  4. Nick Galea

    Nick Galea Site Admin

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2006
    Messages:
    1,889
    Likes Received:
    191
    Changed templates or unsupported phones are the number one reason for support tickets @3cx and they are the hardest to troubleshoot. Ultimately unhappy customers for both reseller and 3CX too. So customers should be aware that they are running a modified / unsupported configuration, which might cause issues.

    In the latest update we have provided most of the configuration from our interface so as to avoid the need for custom templates, if there are features that we can add we are ready to add more.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    #4 Nick Galea, Aug 29, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2017
  5. complex1

    complex1 Active Member

    Joined:
    Jan 25, 2010
    Messages:
    752
    Likes Received:
    38
    Please update user password in Yealink template to add more security.
    The user password is after factory reset in default setting, so everybody can login the phone, even hackers and criminals.

    Code:
    security.user_name.admin = admin
    security.user_password = admin:%%DESKPHONE_PASSWORD%%
    security.user_name.user = user
    security.user_password = user:%%DESKPHONE_PASSWORD%%
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    Nick Galea likes this.
  6. nb

    nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    2,097
    Likes Received:
    142
    Custom templates will remain in RED. Actually denoting them in RED is very fair. What's not fair is when someone makes a custom template and breaks the interop between the phone and 3CX. Then the customer comes to us and says that it is a 3CX problem. That is not fair. So when it's red, the customer will come to the author of the template first.

    Your job is to absorb these, and if it is not because of custom templates, then you replicate the problem with the standard template and if you can rule out your template as the cause of the problem, then contact support.

    Why do you still need custom templates after the major phone provisioning features we made in 15.5 sp1?
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RayBro and teldata1 like this.
  7. nb

    nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    2,097
    Likes Received:
    142
    Also this is not a problem

    You have 2 accounts
    Admin account and user account.

    We get the admin password that you set and we push it for both accounts - admin and user.

    So yes - if you go around giving the admin password (should be more protected) you can simply login to the admin account and to the user account.

    To add more security you simply need to implement the most basic of practices i.e. You keep the admin password secret. to login to the user account they still need to use the admin password. Its just one password specified in 2 places.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. giwm

    giwm New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2016
    Messages:
    217
    Likes Received:
    36
    Because the added options (though a great step forward) were quite limited compared to the full list of settings that still require custom templates for your users. As well as the cumbersomeness of changing things on every phone (such as 12/24 time) that is much easier to set in a single custom template.

    I understand 3CX's stance, but the reality of the situation is that Custom Templates are a necessary evil and likely always will be. I have a custom template for a single phone because of how it is locked down - I doubt all those options would make it into the 3CX console.

    As such, it'd be great to see a variation in the colors used at least: Red for firmware, maybe orange for Custom Templates. Still denotes an issue, but allows administrators to understand why at a glance.
     
  9. nb

    nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    2,097
    Likes Received:
    142
    We will make sure that custom templates are a thing of the past for most users. Limited or not, we have cut off 65% of custom template usage in one service pack. Some people don't want to use custom templates and had to use them. The joy we gave them when we added these features was exhilarating!!

    A good thing that spawns from your point is global settings. We wish that we can have a global setting template, you configure this, and all your phones that are generated after will borrow common settings from the global template. We are discussing options - but will not happen right now. We need more time.

    The color will remain the brightest red I can manage to find in the spectrum of colors - To show the admin that this installation has been tampered with internally. And that the phone might be misbehaving because of this change. So use custom templates only when you really really need to and you have no way out.

    For the time you have to reason like this. How often do you need to change the time? Do this once and you are done for all.
    You have this choice to evaluate:
    Either 5 min work to configure phones to use default template and reprovision. ok if you have 100 extensions, you will spend 1 hour. But it is done.
    OR
    you get a series of repercussions - A) When we release a new update you have to stay merging changes, and still you have to reprovision, Dashboard is with red alarms, and you cannot use the stock template that 3CX interop team + the phone manufacturer use to test. This means that you get the usual "unsupported" drill + delays etc
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    RayBro likes this.
  10. phil@lgmanor.com

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2016
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    2
    Maybe for small installations, but any installation that 64 or above HAS to use custom templates - Multicast Paging, multiple phone books, etc
     
  11. Joe W

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2017
    Messages:
    17
    Likes Received:
    5
    You touched on it later but setting all phones to 24H time or 12H time. Setting a phone wallpaper to be the logo of the company. Turning off the screensaver on a T19, not just a time out period. Setting a standard BLF key for a speed dial to say the helpdesk. We have over 300 phones and going to each phone by itself is a pain.
     
    teldata1 likes this.
  12. nb

    nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    2,097
    Likes Received:
    142
    Then lets add all these features to ideas because we are looking to see what to implement. Multiple phonebooks is a hot one. Can we discuss this in more detail? How do you solve this via custom templates?
    Multicast paging is straightforward.. Thats easy..
    Lets add them as separate ideas. Thanks guys.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    tvdir likes this.
  13. phil@lgmanor.com

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2016
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    2
    Multiple Phone books is easy - maybe limit to max of 3. Show them the default one for the #1 position, then give them an option for 2 or 3 more .

    If the customer is smart enough to know how to bridge and create multiple phone books, then they are smart enough to know how to build the URL, local or remote or both. I actually delete the if/then logic for local vs remote in the template and just hard code in my two. It even works well for the Yealink CP860 conference room phones.

    remote_phonebook.data.1.url = http://location1.xxxxxxx.biz/provisioning/5jv7vvasdj/yealink_phonebook.xml
    remote_phonebook.data.1.name = ARH Hammonton

    remote_phonebook.data.2.url = http://location2.xxxxxx.biz/provisioning/lr31h12zg266b/yealink_phonebook.xml
    remote_phonebook.data.2.name = ARH Bloomfield
     
    #13 phil@lgmanor.com, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    nb likes this.
  14. jericho991

    Joined:
    Dec 7, 2015
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Second extention on the phone

    dialplan

    still need custum template
     
  15. nb

    nb Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2007
    Messages:
    2,097
    Likes Received:
    142
    Can you give me some examples for dialplans.
    You can put an extract of a template as an example how you customize the templates for dialplans - I would like to see it.
     
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.