Do Wireless SIP phones work with 3CX?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by MichaelD, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MichaelD

Hello to all...

I don't see a wireless IP phone listed in the supported phone list. It is possible to get one to work with 3CX? If it is possible, how hard will it be?

I am interested in using a Cisco 7925G, or a Polycom i640, as they both appear somewhat ruggedized. Any other tough wireless phones I should be looking at?

Thanks,

MichaelD

2. igor.snezhko

igor.snezhko Active Member

If SIP stack in this phone released correctly, it always will work with 3CX. The physical (media) layer (OSI Layer 1) is not important.

3. complex1

complex1 Active Member

At this moment I am using the Snom M3 wireless IP phone. This phone work fine with 3CX and it is very easy to configure this phone for 3CX.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MichaelD

Ho Complex1. Thanks for the reply.

That's a DECT phone, though, yes? I really wanted to go with an 802.11g phone.

MichaelD

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've used (and still use) four different WiFi phone from time to time. Most use is remote through a hotspot. Zyxel P-2000w, Linksys WIP300, UTStarcom F3000 and an HP iPaq 510. Unfortunately those models are all now discontinued. The HP lacks STUN and can only be used on the home LAN, well, it will register "outside" but you can't hold a conversation. The others perform well anywhere. The only problem that has frustrated me (other than some hotspots that have one-way transmission), is that after a while the phones will de-register. You go to look at it after 10 or 15 minutes and it will be trying to register again, and it doesn't until you force it to (turn it off and on), not good if you are waiting for a call. I've tried setting registration time to 5 minutes and it still happens. That is just with the ones I've used and I'm sure that many of the early problems like short battery life have been solved. But, yes WiFi phones do work with 3CX, there might be some PBX functions that aren't available, depending on the model you choose.

6. complex1

complex1 Active Member

I know the Pirelli DP-L10 phone is a Wifi (802.11b/g) VoIP and Mobile phone in one, but I don't have any experience with it. I know this phone has only one SIP-account and that should be enough to register at 3CX.
    Follow the next link to a Dutch forum where you can find the SIP settings to register to their VoIP server. Change a few settings to 3CX and that should be all. The phone doesn’t support 3CX Tunnel. http://www.budgetphone.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5151

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I'd love to have a WiFi phone that supported 3CX tunnel, but I'm not holding my breath. I don't think it's going to happen.

8. MichaelD

Thanks to all for the replies.

We only need these wireless phones to work in the office. The key for me is finding a sturdy 802.11g phone that will work with 3CX.

The Ascom i75 looks interesting, but it's a few years old. Anyone using these with 3CX? Do they work well?

The replacement color faceplates would be useful for us, but I can't find them anywhere. The batteries appear to be a bit rare too. Anyone know a good source for these?

Thanks again.

MichaelD

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The replacement battery issue is certainly something to take in consideration when choosing a WiFi phone. We've all gone through this problem with cordless phones. Having something that takes a standard rechargeable battery, like an AA or AAA, is certainly an advantage given the initial cost of these phones and life expectancy.

10. MichaelD

I've found batteries for them, so I'll have to stock up if I go this way.

As I mentioned earlier, I am also considering Cisco 7925g phones, but it'll be much more expensive. And, I still have not heard from anyone here that it works well with 3CX. The same is true on the i75, for that matter.

The problem, is of course, that these devices are non-returnable if I can't get them to work properly. At least, I have not found a place that will take them back.

MichaelD

11. igor.snezhko

igor.snezhko Active Member

Maybe the DECT phones will be the better choice? Try a Siemens Gigaset Phones http://gigaset.com/hq/en/category/CategoryInternetPhones.html

12. MichaelD

Well it's an interesting question. Here's my thinking:

We put a fair amount of effort to make sure we had total 802.11g coverage (for other reasons). Since we have all that coverage, it seems to make sense to take advantage of that network. Also, I was concerned about DECT repeaters not being as effective or somehow causing interference with our 802.11g (though I realize that they are not at the same frequency).

Am I wrong on this?

MichaelD

13. kanshare

Yes they do. The pure wireless SIP phones. I used some from PLANET. They were not bad. But they had limitation on the Encryption type. Planet could not do WEP128bit but could do 64bit. So had to down grade my WIFI to 64bit WEP.

All normal pda phones with SIP clients installed. Those at least did not have limitations on the encryption type.

Last but not least have used desk phones with Wireless repeaters Level-One Wbr6001, Dlink DWL1200, TP link the N version (TLWA701ND) and the Extended G(TLWA601).

So yes if there are any problems it is normally the phone with the wifi router/ap.

14. MichaelD

Keith; thanks for the reply.

DId your text above imply that you have used wireless desk phones? I have searched and searched for such a thing (with integrated wireless, not an external adapter), and have not found any.

MichaelD

15. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You could add something like this (if they haven't been discontinued) to the base/underside/inside of almost any SIP desk phone , making it wireless. They were selling for about $50 US. Runs on 5 VDC, same as some sets, cam share the power supply. Work as a WiFi client or AP/Router. http://www.tbreak.com/reviews/article.php?id=317

16. kanshare

HI,

Yes i am using the standard desk phones and wireless repeater clients and wds. And the quality pretty good.

17. MichaelD

Well it turns out that the Snom 820 and 870 has a jack underneath for a USB dongle, so the desktop phone can be wireless. I picked up a few, and if I can get 3CX running, I'll give them a shot.

MichaelD

18. kanshare

Hi,

Nope just meant i made the normal deskphones wireless.

Reason for doing so is that you then keep one version of hardware for both the wired and wireless users. Get better bargaining power to get some volume discounts, easier maintenance.

But it works really good.

19. MichaelD

Just wanted to follow up to say that I really like these Snom phones. They are good looking, wireless works great, and they sound good. And I know this sounds completely crazy, but they feel good in the hands too.

MichaelD

20. avx

avx

Did you end up going with the Snom M3 phones? I've got a few office locations with good 802.11g coverage and each one needs one cordless phone. Currently we have the Cisco SPA504G's on everyone's desk so I'm leaning towards a Cisco (Linksys?) but will consider anything.

I would love to hear of hardware that people have successfully used with 3cx!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.