Does 3cx have this capability?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by webguyz, Jul 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webguyz

webguyz New Member

Hi,

I have RingCentral service (which I hope to replace with 3CX) and one neat feature they have is when they forward a customer call to my designated number and I answer it, I have the option of of pressing 1 to pick up the call up or if I don't press 1 it will roll to voice mail. Not sure what that feature is called but can 3CX do something similar?

Thanks!

2. Fynskisb16

I haven't totaly seem this in action but the newest version of 3cx has a utility called Call assistant, that you can install on your pc to transfer calls to vmail and a lot of other features. It is limited with the free version. You'll have to upgrade it get all the features. http://www.3cx.com/manual/3CXCallAssistantmanual31.pdf

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. webguyz

webguyz New Member

I have several DA's set up, but to be able to transfer a call and then accept digits to determine a course of action would require some kind of IVR and I don't see that in the DA section.

Anyone done something like this?

Thanks!

4. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

3CX box can be handle.
    Digital Receptionist:
    When the call call in DR
    Welcome to XXXX company. Please key in extension number or select the following options. press 1 for sales, press 0 for operator .........

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. webguyz

webguyz New Member

Not what I need. When a customer calls the pbx the customer chooses a button on the Digital Assistant.
    'Thanks for calling, press 1 for sales, 2 for support, etc"
    Customer presses 1 and pbx transfers the call to my sales extension(me).
    I pick up the ringing phone and I hear a recording:
    'You have an incoming call, press 1 to answer the call, or any other key to send to voicemail'
    I then press 1 and the pbx would transfer the call to me. If I press anything else (or press nothing) it rolls to voicemail.

6. 5qg4

5qg4 Active Member

OK. For this DA function I think the 3CX Phone System Version3.0.2328.0 unable to do that.

Have you try this setting at 3CX Digital Receptionist before?
    1. The remote caller call to the DA then DA answer this call
    2. The remote caller press 1 (the pbx will ring your extension, rights?)
    3. If you pick up the phone call (You will able to answer the remote caller's call. right?)
    4. You can define no answer forward to Voice Mail (If you ignore this phone call, this call will forwarded to Voice Mail)

7. webguyz

webguyz New Member

Yes that works, but lets say you have 2 or 3 different incoming phone numbers and you don't know if the line that is calling in is your personal line or your Toll Free business number. Lets say I set up my toll free number to do what I'd like to do. The call comes in and I don't recognize the number in caller id. I pick up the call and say 'hello'. I hear the pbx tell me 'You have a business call, press 1 to answer'. That tells me its my toll free line and business related so I can press 1 and put my 'business voice' on the line and answer appropriately. If its my personal line calls get put thru immediately.

Thats how RingCentral does it and it works great. I had Sunrocket and was using Ringcentral for my toll free line incoming calls that were transferred to my Sunrocket number and thats how I knew which way to answer the phone

Thanks!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YOu can actually use CA for this.

Difference is that on you screen you can see the incomming call (no need to hear it) at that point you can decide to route it to whatever call extension you want.

Not only in CA will you see the caller ID but you can also see on the icon (green, orange or red) the status of any of the lines. So if someone is in a call (orange) you can see that and route the call to his/her voice box.

I think that is something you want to do is it not?

9. webguyz

webguyz New Member

That would work if your near a PC, but the goal is to replicate what I described initially, have an IVR type prompt asking if I want to accept the call or not when the call is initially transferred and I pick it up.

Thanks!

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Then now, the system does not have that functionality. (but you know that by now already).

The IVR is for calling party only not for called party (as such it is simplex).

11. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

Hello

You CAN achieve this behavior BUT not exactly in the way you describe. If the call is forwarded by a Digital Receptionist to your extension, then YOUR extension also has forwarding options. If you have "Configure behavior if no one answers this extension - No answer after : 15 seconds"

Then this means that if you see who is calling and wish to not answer the call, then you can leave it ringing and after 15 seconds you can choose to forward it to voicemail (or anywhere else you want) This is available in the free version... Or if you don't want to wait, then you install Call Assistant (which is offered free with the PBX and is a small client software for users that have a phone and a pc) Call assistant has function/button "forward to voicemail", YOU CAN forward to voicemail without waiting from the Call Assistant user interface. But you need to have in mind that this feature is not available in the free version of 3cx Phone System.

If someone has already mentioned this, then ignore my post

Regards

12. ndraves

That's what I need too

I used to work for a company that had a service that would forward calls to you from your personal toll-free number and before you were connected with the caller, it would let you know who was calling (i.e. ask who was calling and play the recording when you answered the phone) and gave you the option of accepting the call or sending it to.

I am now working for myself and I want the same ability without having to pay the monthly and minute fees. I work from home and I want some way of knowing whether I should answer with a professional greeting or if it is a friend and answer that way. I work from home so I want to be able to have one phone system, rather than having to run to my office to answer the business line.

If that isn't possible, is it possible to display the Caller ID on the phones and maybe what number the caller called (so I can at least see if the call came in on one of my personal lines or if it came in on one of the business lines?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Yes you can display caller id (depending if your provider supports it).

Here is something else you might look into.

I have a PSTN line, that is for home use and use the VSP for company use. Because they are both different gateways/providers i can use that to route the call where i want to.

Problem with that is that you need two phones if you want to separate the calls. :). NOPE not really.

When customers call in and I am at my desk my desk phone rings, if I do not pick up the call gets routed to the mobile using the VSP. This than displays my company ID on the phone so I know it is a customer :).

How to configure this if you do not have CLID? Simple.
    have two lines, one for private (eg PSTN number) and one for business (VSP number). 3CX will by default display the Line ID so if your business is on line 10002 it shows 10002 on your phone as clid. That should prompt you to have your best "welcome to my world" voice ready :).

Does that make sense?

14. ndraves

Right now I have three voice lines (2 home lines and 1 business line) and one fax line.

Ideally, I'd like to have different menu structures for each line. If all of the lines are from the same provider, does that mean the callers will have to start in the same menu.

I live in a secure building and to get in the building, guests have to call from the main door. That phone system won't provide DTMF tones, so I need to be able to have a way for the number that calls to ring directly to phones and not go to a menu.

15. webguyz

webguyz New Member

Would be great if there were an api in PHP or something for 3CX pbx where you could do things like check for number being called and execute a DA menu or do something else programatically. I would think that if they sold something like this as an addon 3CX could make a bunch of bux and have everyone flocking to it. What appeals to the asterisk crowd is the opens source nature and being able to manipulate it. While I don't 3CX should be open source, having a well defined api on a reasonable costing PBX such as 3CX's would have immense appeal.

16. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Each incoming line can have it's own Digital Assistant (DA) greeting or go directly to an extension. Setup multiple DAs and assign then to the inbound rules. You could setup extra extension #'s on your phone - I've got Linksys SPA-942 with 4 lines. Each line could be a seperate extension that woud ring based on the incoming rule. Or even forwarded to your cell or ring groups or ....

17. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

I would also love to see something like this in th future. There is a third party company called Aptela that is doing some really neat things with Asterisk that is similar to this.

I a call comes in an IVR will answer. If you press 1 to reach sales, or someones direct extension it will ring them; however extensions can even be cell phones or regulat analog phones. That is nothing new, the interesting thing is that the answering party has the ability to re-transfer the call to another party on their PBX.

I am not sure how this works as I would assume once the call is handed off to the cell phone network that the PBX was out of the picture. It obviously maintains a call-state and can handle DTMF tones to "transfer" to another party.

This is an awesome feature for many small businesses that would be using this system.

18. tjabaut

tjabaut New Member

bump

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.