Does 3cx phone support code G 729r8?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by z0800, Jul 19, 2007.

1. z0800

Support G.711 (A-Law and u-Law), G 726, GSM, iLBC and Speex codecs.

G 729r8 ????

Why?

thanks!

2. TwigsUSAN

G729 requires a license to be able to use it. So right now 3cx doesn't support it. In the future, if I remember correctly, the 3CX team is considering supporting G729.

3. Costas3CX

Costas3CX New Member

z0800

G729 (does not support in-band DTMF) AND it has high licensing costs.

Besides several other large market players (such as Microsoft) are not including these codecs in their products either. No need for 3cx to do this at this time.

We don't support G723 or G726 either btw.

Regards

4. Urbok

Urbok New Member

microsoft is the only one tha dont support g729!
    Compared with asterisk 3cx contine loosing the war cause by missing of this codec! (g729 is the only high quality codec usable by adsl owners)

nothig has the bandwidth-quality ratio as the g729!

how about to put in pay version?

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

Do you have a VoIP providor that supports other codes? I haven't been able to find any at this time.

I agree - here in CT,USA the quality of DSL is horrible for voip use. Cable is much better but then you need a business quality line (mine is $100/month). At that rate you can get 2-4 PSTN lines with perfect call quality.

Supporting other codecs is great if the voip suppliers will use it. I have no idea how the licensing works. Can it be an add-on piece or does it have to be integrated with every system? How does the open-source systems have it if it's $$?

6. Urbok

Urbok New Member

In italy Eutelia provider supports different codecs as g729 g726 g723 g711a-u gsm etcc (not speex for example).

I'm actually using GSM-FR codec (very poor voice quality) tue to bandwidth problem (256kbit upstream only).

I'm really thinking to return to Asterisk. Infact this 3cx system is fantastic because you install and configure it in 15 mins. But after the configuration is done the really problem is that without g729 you can use only GSM with poor poor poor quality conversation. (with g711 I can make 1 o 2 max simultaneous calls)

the question:
    "How does the open-source systems have it if it's $$?"
    it's very interesting!!!!!

G729 could be a pay plugin if needed but I need to test it first!

When I used asterisk with g729 I reached 5 simultaneous calls without problems with an excellent call quality.

7. nexsip

I wish g729 was supported as well.

bottom line is all VoIP phones use G711 and G729.

It doesnt really matter if the provider is only G711 if I want to use a remote phone who has bandwidth constraints, I want to be able to use G729.

suppose i could use asterisk as a transcoding machine but thats a waste of a perfectly good linux box! :)

8. barnum

Need G729

I totally agree with people asking for G729 support. In Italy this is widely used and speex not so much.

We would like to adopt 3CX but this seems the only big lack.

Thanks to anyone for your efforts.