Does 3CX work with AUS Engine / Android?

Discussion in 'Android' started by OllePer, Aug 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OllePer

Hi!

Struggled a while back with a set up of 3CX on my Samsung galaxy and my VoIP service from engin. I got it pretty close to working, but couldn’t get outgoing voice happening,

Are anyone using 3CX on Android and engine VoIP service?

Looking forward to hear from the genius here. :)

Cheers
    Olle

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

You don't specify which version of the 3CX Phone for Android you are using. Versions 11 and 12 are designed to work with the corresponding versions of the 3CX PBX. You have to go back to an older version to work with another VoIP provider.

http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone6.msi ( I think this link still works)

3. OllePer

Thank You Leejor.
    And Good Morning from Australia.

Yes your link seem to work, gives me a file opening prompt for "3CXPhone6.msi"

Our VoIP server here is "Engin", and they do partner with 3CX.
    http://www.engin.com.au/pbx-partners

Is this the "3CX Phone for Android"?
    Samsung Galaxy
    GT-19305 / ANDROID 4.3 / 19305 XXUENA2

So, I will need to uninstall the 3CX-12 and run install on the "3CXPhone6.msi"?

Let's see if I can manage that...

Cheers

Olle

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Opps...sorry, no. that is the Windows version. That's what happens when you have way too much coffee. The Android version is/was an APK file. The old one (pre ver. 11 & 12) was available on Google Play but i don't believe that is has been available for a while. There are probably some copies of the file floating around but you have to have the ability to install APK files directly, on your device.

5. OllePer

Hi
    I went out for a large mug-cappuccino as well Leejor, so I haven’t started deleting or attempting installs as yet. I also forwarded your response to engin, just to see what their tech guys can provide.
    (Unfortunately it is the worst service I ever experienced, and the automated responses says they will get back to me within five working days.)

I did a search and found this link;
    http://www.3cx.com/downloads/3CXPhone.apk - which is outdated.

Then did this search; “3cxphone apk download” gave me some links to this forum and Nicky Borg’s posts back in September 2011. They talk a lot about “3CXPhone for Android, build 1.3.1” but I still haven’t found any download links.

I guess this is the first hurdle to overcome, then maybe you would be so kind and walk me through the “APK install”?

I will check back with you as soon as I find something further.

Cheers for now - have a great one.
    Olle

6. OllePer

This is as close as I get;

http://www.3cx.com/blog/category/releases/page/7/

New Version of 3CXPhone for Android Available with 3CX Tunnel (1.3.1)
    September 03, 2011 - We are pleased to announce a new release of 3CXPhone for Android, build 1.3.1, which includes the 3CX Tunnel. With the 3CX Tunnel feature, you can proxy all SIP and RTP traffic over a single port and bypass any restrictions ... [+]

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I've used an app called Appinstaller. Several versions are on available on Google Play. It allows the install of an APK file that has been copied onto an SD card.

I Googled "3cxphone.apk", and a few sites came up. I can't vouch for any of them, nor the particular verion.

8. 3CXNP

3CX Support

G'day Olle,

When you install the 3CXPhone system, enable the tunnel, so you can connect through port 5090 and eliminate any audio issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. OllePer

Thanks for your help 3CXNP.
    For the tunnel, do I use my normal 'Engin password"? (My VSP)

As you seen, Leejor has a good point about compatibility, this is finally confirmed by Engin, saying that version 6 works fine.

Traditionally the 3CX settings for use with Engin services has been as listed below, however the more recent versions of 3CX (including v12) do not seem compatible with engin services as a standalone softphone and have issues with registration. Earlier versions of the softphone (version 6 is frequently used by myself for testing) do not have this issue.

So, any idea where I can find a download of 3CX version 6?
    I did Google search as Leejor suggested and found this file; "3CXPhone.apk" but no information about what version it is.

Maybe I should stop being negative and just install this one?

Cheers guys!!!! Have a great weekend...

Olle...

10. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Once installed it will show the version on the home screen. You can always uninstall it if not correct. It was written for older devices/versions of Android, so you may have some issues with it. Since you are simply connecting to a VoIP provider you really might want to consider looking into a more recent SIP Phone application

By the way, the Tunnel feature is only compatible with the 3CX PBX.

11. OllePer

Hi guys.
    Sitting here on Sunday and still trying to configure my 3CX Android.

The file I found seems to be 3CX – 1.3.4 as to the indication in the upper left corner.

The setting options listed below, and my choices doesn’t work very well.
    Am I still on the wrong version, this one might be too old, as the suggestion from engine was version 6.

Cheers - and THANK YOU!
    Have a great Sunday.

Olle...

3CX account settings; V 1.3.4

Name Aadvanced
    display name 075630…..

“Credentials”;
    User;
    ID 075630…..

pass word OlxxxxxxxxY

“Server Settings”;
    I am Out of Office

local PBX IP;
    external PBX IP;

PBX port; 5060
    3CX Tunnel

Proxy;

12. OllePer

Hi Guys... Thanks all for your input here.

Seems a bit stuck in finding the right version of 3CX for my Engin application. Maybe I take you idea Leejor, looking at other options.

Here's a list of SIP Phones, question then is which are compatible with my Engin VSP account?
    http://www.androidauthority.com/best-android-apps-voip-sip-calls-wi-fi-calling-internet-calling-87396/

Actually testing a bit "csipsimple", very basic setup - but it still gives me an error;

Account name Aadvanced
    User 0756301276
    Server byo.engin.com.au
    Pass word Ul1xxxxxxxxY

Even on this simple setup I manage to get an error.
    “Error while registering, unauthorised.”

Cheers Friends.....

...Olle...

13. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

If possible, I would contact your provider to be sure you are using the correct settings. They may be able to tell you what they see as being incorrect.

Several other Android SIP clients are...

SIPDroid
    Acrobits
    Bria
    In-built Android SIP stack, set-up varies depending on Android version

From the sounds of it, it's not the client, but your settings. If you are trying over 3/4G then try over wifi first. If the wifi network has any other SIP services running then you will probably have to change the local port number on your phone to something other than 5060.

14. OllePer

Thanks Leejor, you've been a great help.

Yes I'm trying to communicate with my service provider as well, but they have 5 days response time on Email..

When I call them the guy at tech support said that any 3CX is fine - even V12.
    They have later confirmed in Email that 3CX V12 is not compatible, they suggested V6 whi8ch I can't find.

All good fun! :) :) :)

Cheers - have a great one...

Olle...

Yes I run this on Wi-Fi, and its the sole.... maybe... thinking....
    I have our normal VoIP running with modem directly on our cable internet connection, and the WiFi rotor just connected on the LAN hubs. Could that block the 5060 Port?

15. OllePer

Tested both WiFi and Network - neither worked.

I then put in "Advanced Settings" in "csipsimple", and Wow!! it works!

That is on WiFi only though, going back to my Optus Aus Network is not so good.

On my mobile connection the account is “INACTIVE” and I get this error;
    “Selected network route not allowed with current settings you have set up”

Any ideas on this one please?

Have a great one...

Olle...

16. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Could it be that your provider does not allow VoIP traffic? I've heard of that happening, in the past, with some US carriers. I personally have no issue (same settings) when using the newer versions (11 &12) 3CX Phone and either Wifi or 4G. This is back to the 3CX PBX server.

Had a look at my old Android (2.2) phone. It is not able to use the newer 3CX phone versions. The 3CX phone version that it has is 2.0.5, which might have been the last "universal" release. I can't recall if I updated it before version 11 replaced the old version on Google Play.

17. OllePer

Sorry for the silence guys..
    So, here's an update.

Still looking for a 3CX version probably pre V9, I had 3CX install from early 2012 on my previous phone, it worked but no outgoing Audio.

I then changed over to "csipsimple" and it works fine over WiFi, but not on my Optus Mobile network.
    Turning off WiFi displays the account as "Inactive" and with error message;
    “Selected network route not allowed with current settings you have set up”
    Incoming calls work fine in "Inactive Mode".

To be continued....

18. OllePer

Update continued.....
    Next test was to put my data, engine account details, in a "zoiper" install on a Vodaphone network Samsung.
    Everything worked fine for both outgoing and incoming calls.

Proceeded to install "zoiper" on my Optus Network Samsung, and have same problem again.

No outgoing calls on the Mobile Network, while all works fine on WiFi.

Totally confused.....
    As I writing this and at the same time are testing, testing and testing, I suddenly found that "zoiper" is working both ways now.

Maybe it's a bit late, or I had to much tea tonight - let's see tomorrow..

Good Night...

Olle...

19. OllePer

Hi Guys.

Thank you all for contributions and help – it’s much appreciated.

Still same errors on the "csipsimple" install I’m testing, and I can’t see much difference in the settings. Posted here;
    http://www.gcauto.com.au/MobileSettings200.jpg

The "zoiper" install however are now working, have tested for a few days and get calls – and the sound is OK.

I still have some questions, but I guess they have to be in different forum topics;

QUESTIONS;
    What VoIP service providers, other than Engin, do you guys recommend?
    Issues with Engin……………………….;

How, or where, can I find an older version of 3CX?
    Again compatibility with Engin……………….;

Thanks again - have a great one...

Olle...

20. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I would recommend, that, as you are not using a SIP application with the 3CX PBX, and given that the 3CX Android phone version, that worked with some other VoIP providers is no longer available, that you might have more luck in finding a solution by posting in a forum specific to the SIP app that you are using attempting to get working.

I would have to assume (and yes, I may be wrong) that most of the 3CX forum members are using one of the latest 3CX Android phones (version 11 or 12) in conjunction with the corresponding 3CX PBX, as they do not work with any other provider..

You might want to talk to the provider that you are trying to register with to see if they have any suggestions.

As 3CX Android users have discovered along the way, what works on one particular model phone/version of Android, doesn't necessarily behave in exactly the same way on another phone simply because it is running Android. Even the same model phone can have different (specialized) firmware introduced by the provider that the phone was originally contracted from.

All of this makes it very frustrating. Perhaps concentrating on what is proven to work on your particular phone (a forum specific to your phone model?) might be a good place to start.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.