Does anyone run any sorts of tests before deploying 3CX?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by viraltechnology, Dec 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. viraltechnology

I am curious, does anyone run any sort of tests for Jitter or any other issues before deploying 3CX? just looking for ways to spot trouble before deployment. Thanks

2. dan_tx

We hooked 3cx into our old PBX via sip trunk and had our IT dept use it for 5 months. That was our testing. When we had issues we used wire shark. Some phones like Fanvil x6 record jitter and other stats during a call from their web page.

3. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    StefanW and viraltechnology like this.
  4. viraltechnology

ok Ill have to check that out sometime. it would be cool to use with an sbc just to verify, I know someother compaines have a little app that they will run for 24 hours. it measures jitter latency bandwidth and different intervals. I did not know if anyone found something like that as a way to test the network before an install.

accentlogic likes this.
  5. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

firewall checker for sure is one and it must complete without issues before doing anything else.

But there are std. test calls you should perform local and external (incoming / outbound).
    • Call,
    • CallerID (in Out),
    • CallerID-DID (out),
    • Hold,
    • Resume,
    • Transfer (blind attendant),
    • short call duration,
    • long call duration (above 30 min.)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Mathias Maes

We are now in the process of testing. We will take a good 4-5 months of testing before going into production.
    Going untested into production would not be wise I think, for any application/hardware deployment.

But it might depend on the size of your organisation, if you have sub 10 people in your organisation and phone is not a main concern because everyone is used to using his/her cellphone, you could fiddle around.

7. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

may we need to establish if you ask from a view of an integrator or evaluation user...
    Once you know what the system will do it is different to evaluate the business needs and the process and time is different...

viraltechnology likes this.
  8. accentlogic

accentlogic New Member

Several Hosted PBX vendors we have used in the past use these tools, which mostly appear to be provided by Visualware or StarTrinity. They measure latency, packet loss and jitter over a period of time, even days, while running simulated VoIP traffic based on the number of estimated extensions to develop a Mean Opinion Score.

I think the same tests are appropriate for on-premise installs as well, but I think the focus of the original post was regarding remote sites with extensions.

It would be great if the 3CX SBC added a feature for simulated traffic testing, or if 3CX offered a separate app for this. I believe there is an existing post in the Ideas forum.

viraltechnology and sip.bg like this.
  9. OCWI

OCWI New Member

accentlogic and viraltechnology like this.
  10. viraltechnology

We are a msp / intergrator new to both 3cx and VOIP. We have been using 3cx in house for a couple of years with no issues. We decided to start pushing 3cx as a service offering. As far as inital set up, that went perfectly. We have had some call quality issues but think we almost have that figured out. That's what brought me to this question. We were looking for tools / testing methodology we could use to look for issues before we deploy.

11. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

Yes, but it depends on what the connection method is and the needs of the client.

As you mentioned jitter I assume you are specifically asking about the Internet carriage. I use a subscription based web tool called Voipspear, It is similar to many of the other VoIP type tools on the Internet, but it allows you to select from a number of test servers where multiple servers can be used at the same time and the tests can be run continuously and examined over various time intervals. You input the IP and which servers you wish to use and the tests will start and then continue until such time as you edit/delete the client IP. Ping on the client router must be enabled. The tests measures latency, packet loss and translates into a MOS score.

I use before hand, but its real benefit to me is that when a client calls with issues, I can then put their site into monitoring and see the carriage and provide data or graphs by which we can use to work with the ISP.

viraltechnology likes this.
  12. sip.bg

sip.bg Active Member

You can run from a Windows machine Command Prompt the following command:
    pathping <3CXserver_IP_address>
    It provides useful information about packet loss and latency to the address of your 3CX server.

accentlogic likes this.
  13. viraltechnology

Nice, I will check into that. yes we are having intermittent issues. with calls fading in and out. The client never calls and says ok its happening now. so unless I let a wireshark fun for days its hard to catch. I will check this out and see. thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.