Does it work on private network?

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by mek, Jul 24, 2007.

1. mek

mek

Hello,

I am unable to add a PSTN gateway. The page stop and after 2 min shows blank page. It probably checks some gateway provider on internet, but I dont have internet connection except web-proxy server. So my question is, if this software PBX works in private network without internet connection?

Thanks for answer

Mek

2. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

You don't need an internet connection at all if you just want to use PSTN.

Only setting I know of that might need internet access is on the General Settings there is a STUN server setting that points to stun.3cx.com. Might have to change that to something else?

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Using a web proxy, it might not like the "localhost" bit.

Enter the full ip address of your 3cx server instead of localhost, you can also setup the proxy to not proxy the local addresses.

4. mek

mek

No, it doesnt work!!

When I unplug a network cable then I can add PSTN gateway but when I connect computer to private network, the add_gateway page stop responding.

Server report is [CM215001] STUN failed to resolve external IP using server 127.0.0.1

How can I disable STUN server?

5. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

127.0.0.1 is your server. Not anything on the internet. Can you ping that address succesfully?

6. mek

mek

127.0.0.1 is loopback IP address of computer and I can ping it of course.

I will decribe the problem once again.
    Big local network with gateways, DNS servers but NO internet connection. I have computer with 3CX PBX software installed and connected to that network. When I try to add PST gateway then it stops responding. When I disconnect computer from network then it works. So I think the pstn_gateway.php page checks if the computer is on network and it looks for STUN server or something else. The result is that I am unable to add any VOIP or PSTN device to system.

So my question is if I can somehow disabel computer to seaarch on internet and work as I am in private network?

7. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

You can not disable STUN client, but you shouldn't bother, because it doesn't affect PSTN Gateway in any way. But better set some valid IP for STUN server address, like 192.168.1.1

Your problem is not related to internet connection, definitely. PHP scripts doesn't check any external sources for info. I can not tell you what is wrong, but it's not internet connection for sure.

Tell us what device you're trying to connect and what settings you do for device and 3CX.

8. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Update:

It seems we have a bug in build 2328, that is why you can not add PSTN Gateway. We're working on fix.

9. mek

mek

Thanks for update. That was what I expected. I am looking forward to fixed version.

10. archie

archie Well-Known Member
    3CX Staff

Actually, the problem is that PHP script tries to download updates to PSTN templates, that is why it stops to respond if internet is not connected. But after some timeout it will continue to work normally. We're fixing it by specifying much smaller timeout.

11. Nick Galea

Nick Galea Site Admin

Whilst adding a PSTN gateway or VOIP provider, an internet connection is required. You would have to temporarily enable internet after which you can switch it off again.

12. RobLloyd

RobLloyd Member

While this is a great feature - auto update the templates, I can see where is the rare situations like this it could be a problem. How about a check-box in the general settings for "Automatically check for updates"? This works well for a lot of software titles and would benefit everyone.

13. mek

mek

But after long timeout it showed only white blank page. Please try it after if it works. Dont disconect server from network, but only disable internet connection.

Mek