• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Does V14 need a *physical* server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThomasAJ

Reaction score
Support says (and documentation) ...

"The 3CX Phone system can be installed on the virtual machine
- Supported hypervisor platforms are:
VMware ESX 5.X and above.
Microsoft HyperV 2008 R2 and above
Azure and Amazon cloud are not supported from our side (due to the virtualization platforms) "

To run "Microsoft HyperV 2008 R2 and above" my understading is that one needs a *physical* server plus the infrastructure to support it eg power supply etc. In other words all of the IaaS (Infrastructure as a Service) that many/most? companies are moving away from or at least planning to.

If my understanding of V14 requirements are correct then I am shocked!

I hope I am wrong and someone can tell me how I can run V14 without having a physical machine sitting somewhere.

Thank you.

It can be installed within a VM, I have it within one myself.

Hello LyonAdmiral

So please be good enough to provide more information.

Example...
What VM?
Did you do anything special during installation?
Approx. how many simultaneous users?
Do you have any problems?

ThomasAJ said:
Hello LyonAdmiral

So please be good enough to provide more information.

Example...
What VM?
Did you do anything special during installation?
Approx. how many simultaneous users?
Do you have any problems?

I am using the 4 simultaneous non pro edition in a 512 mb ram VM. I have 35 extensions and 4 lines coming in. I have had no problems whatsoever. Knock on wood.

Thank you....

But what VM? <--- please understand that this is *critical* and possibly the *most* important piece of information.

Please give as much detail as possible.

If you did not set the VM up then I would really appreciate it if you could ask the person who did.

Thank you.

Unfortunately LyonAdmiral did not understand the point of my post.

In another post he replied "I'm using a 4 Simultaneous Call Edition (Non Pro) virtualized inside of Hyper-V on Windows 7 Pro using Abyss with 512 megs of RAM."

This means he is running 3CX on a physical machine whose OS is Windows 7 that has Hyper-V installed which in turn runs a VM.

Is anyone running V14 on Amazon or Azure VM. ie they do not have a physical computer that is under their direct control.

(Not sure I can make this any clearer).

Following is a comment by Nick (3CX) (from 2014) on the Azure issue:
Azure is something of interest to 3Cx. It would make most sense to deploy as a worker role or set of worker roles and one web role for the IIS services. However, when you do this, its quite an expensive solution. 5 Gig on a busy phone system is consumed very quickly! So yes, its something of interest, but right now, unless you go for the standard VM option and are ready to pay for the bandwidth, it makes little sense. An average windows hoster will be a better solution. This might change very soon of course with the new price war that Amazon announced. We are keeping a close eye.

You might also look here for comments about Azure:

http://www.austen-it.com/3cx-ip-pbx/3cx ... oud-ready/

If you have an interest in AWS, then you may be able to glean more info by doing a search of the forum for "AWS" or "Amazon Web Services". I do believe I recall having seen some report that they have had some success, but I don't recall if they ever mentioned how large of an extension/call base they were supporting.

You might also look at some of the comments at the bottom of the following link as they may provide some insight:

http://www.3cx.com/docs/virtual-pbx-installation/

Thanks Ineblett

I appreciate your detailed comment and will look into it and report back if I have anything to add of value.

My setup is small - 8 simultaneous calls max. - so maybe a very small VM on AWS will be sufficient. We'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gamingpro2131
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.