• V20: 3CX Re-engineered. Get V20 for increased security, better call management, a new admin console and Windows softphone. Learn More.

Domain Controller and Skype Connector

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshhough

Reaction score
Hi There,

I'm in the process of setting up an HP DL380 G4 Server to act as a 3cx VOIP unit. However i just want to check a few things... I'm looking to install either Server 2008 or Small Business Server 2008 with Exchange 2010, however this means that the server will have to be a domain controller. In this first instance will i get any issues?

The next question is related to sound, the DL380 has no soundcard built in, do i need a sound card? Or can i use a Virtual Sound Card? If so, do you know of any? Or would it just be worth me using a USB soundcard that is compatible with Server 2008?

Finally, i currently have a Skype-In number for my business, which i want to keep as it's printed on all my stationary. So the idea is to have the Skype>3CX Converter installed on the system, however i have read that this is not possible if the server is a Domain controller.... How can i get around this?

I look foward to your response.

Josh

Why not use HyperV R2 and build 2 virtual machines? One for your DC and one for VOIP (in which case I would do a small DC and then an Exchange and 3cx server in one)

Ah i hadn't thought of that....

And that will work will it? I presume the server would be high enough specifications to run that?
#

CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon Processor - 3.2 GHz - 800MHz FSB - 1MB L2 Cache - 64-Bit
#

RAM: 6 GB PC2-3200 DRR2 400Mhz ECC

The only issue i then have is the sound. Do i need a soundcard? Or are there work-arounds?

Thanks,

Josh

The server is powerful enough

I would put 1 or 2 cores for the DC and only a small amount of RAM (1GB to start) if you dont have many users. Then Put all the other resources for the 2nd VM with Exchange and 3cx on it

3cx usually works with the virtual sound but to be honest i dont know about Skype. The Skype Gateway needs the skype client installed and it just creates a new client per id. So you can try the skype client by itself and if it works the gateway will work too.

Okay thats great.

Thanks for your help. I'll let you know how i get on.

Josh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Getting Started - Admin

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ghisl1
Get 3CX - Absolutely Free!

Link up your team and customers Phone System Live Chat Video Conferencing

Hosted or Self-managed. Up to 10 users free forever. No credit card. Try risk free.

3CX
A 3CX Account with that email already exists. You will be redirected to the Customer Portal to sign in or reset your password if you've forgotten it.