Dormant iPhone will not respond to calls

Discussion in 'iOS' started by jonathanc, Nov 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonathanc

I'm aware that 'keep alive' for 3CXPhone for iPhone is an old issue, but thought it had been solved with the introduction of v 1.1.5. Either this is not the case or I have a different problem with the same symptoms - namely, that my iPhone 4s running iOS 6.0 and 3CXPhone for iPhone v 1.1.5 will not respond to incoming calls via 3CX and wifi once it goes to sleep. A call from another extension, for instance, goes to voicemail after the timeout.

If coincidentally the iPhone is awakened by (say) an incoming email while it is being dialled via 3CX it immediately starts responding to 3CX as well.

I read somewhere (in a sticky?) that keeping your iPhone charging while in the office overcomes this problem; but a) I think this was posted some time ago and b) that solution sort of defeats the purpose of having a mobile phone!

Does anyone else still have this problem, please - or even a solution?

2. anju_bkkth

Me and my two other friends have exactly same problem, but i think iOS6 causes this problem. I am desperately waiting for a solution.

3. DungeonMaster3000

Same here - just so if someone replies with solution I get notified. Appears problem with IOS6
    http://www.3cx.com/forums/serious-problem-with-ios6-please-help-32242.html

4. jimhomelovers

It looks like there hasn't been a reply for a while. Has somebody found out how to keep 3CX Phone alive when the iPhone goes dormant?

Phone Model: iPhone 5
    Generation: 5 iOS 6.0
    Firmware Version: [1,00,16]
    Jailbreak: No
    Cydia Installed: No

Issue Info
    -------------------------------------------------------
    Handset: Earpiece - No Bluetooth
    Contacts: Local
    Connection: WiFi and LTE
    Server: External

5. andrewand

I am using the iPhone 3GS with 3cx softphone running ios5, same problem. I downloaded and installed Bria and works perfectly. After the phone is asleep and you call it 45 mins later, it rings! I also tested it with Media5, and that works as well. Not sure why the 3cx softphone won't stay alive when in sleep mode.

6. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

Hi this problem will be solved in V3.0 of 3CXPhone and 3CX Phone System V12 with push, please let us know if you have any further inquiries.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. craigreilly

craigreilly Well-Known Member

Great news - Thanks!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. AndreasP_3CX

AndreasP_3CX New Member
    3CX Support

You are welcome! If you have any further questions please let me know.

9. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

you have to make sure that u use
    a) the 3cx phone system v12
    b) enable the push service for IOS inside the mng console (one click)
    c) use the 3cxphone for v12 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/3cxphone-for-3cx-phone-system/id660230142?mt=8

10. fhiadmin

I noticed the same thing.
    Running ipod Touch 5th gen
    3cx 1.1.5. When it's dormant for a little, the extension is not reachable. I downloaed Bria and tested with that and that one works fine. Any ideas? Also in the app store I don't see the 3CX general app available any more, only the ones to connect to the 3cx system.

11. fhiadmin

I just downloaded V3, I see the keep alive settings and registration time, is there more info on these two settings? I didn't find any push setting, is there more info on that?
    Thanks for the help.

12. minijay

Hi there

sorry to jump on the back of an existing post but thought it would be good to go here as it works with what has been suggested already

i have just installed the V12 beta and the v12 version of the iphone app and this is still an issue for me i must have missed something.

i have configured the push service and thats all working. now if the phone is asleep i get a push notification that there is a call but the phone still does not ring.

so far i have only tested this in house so out of the office could be fun.

have i missed the point, by the time the phone displays there is a call and i log in to the phone ive missed the call and its gone to answer phone if i do manage to log in quick enough my iphone just tried to call the extension thats calling me whilst they are trying to leave a voice mail..

surely this is not the idea here is it.

i would rather the phone just rings when i get a call and i can answer it. so much easier.

thanks

jay

13. davmel

I just don't understand the logic used by the person that wrote the iPhone 3CXPhone app software.

You would think that by the time V12 of the app came out that it would work correctly, but no, the app continues to unregister itself from the server as soon as you put it to sleep! What a completely useless app.

Running on battery power connected by wifi the iPhone 3CXPhone software will immediately unregister itself from the server every time you exit the application or put the phone to sleep. It will then successfully register with the 3CX server every 10minutes but 2 minutes after registering it will unregister from the server. It will continue to repeat this forever staying registered with the server for 2 minutes then unregistering itself for 8 minutes before registering again, Rinse repeat.
    In the crazy 3CX universe are we only expected to receive calls for the 20% of the time that the phone stays registered with the server every 10minutes??????

It's not so bad when the iPhone is connected to a charging cable since the 3CXPhone registers with the 3CX server at 5 minute intervals for 2minutes each time so the uptime with the server is 40%. But still, where is the logic in this??????
    Every other iPhone app can stay connected with its server constantly, so why can't 3CXPhone?

14. StefanW

StefanW Head of Customer Support and Training
    Staff Member 3CX Support

hello,

in the v12 it is expected that when placed in the background, that the contact will unregistered.
    this is by design. the pbx V12 uses push notifications to inform you about incoming calls which you can enabled from the settings -> 3cxphone. just enable it for iOS and for the EXT you like to carry this out.

you will see when the phone reg. the next time directly a "3cxphone push" contact will register as well.
    this is the link to you phone then. i have made a full documentation in german about it, may run it via google translate for now until it will be present in the us blog

http://www.3cx.de/blog/3cxphone-push/

15. mjcaamano

I just downloaded the v12 release for my iPhone and verified that I have my notifications set.

I do not see anything with APNS under my settings:
    To push for IOS devices you need to activate the client 3CXPhone for 3CX Phone System 12 from the App Store (anticipated release date 06.25.2013 ) and set the option under Settings -> 3CXPhone -> Apple Push Notification Service (APNS) on.

Has anyone had success with getting the iPhone to answer after the app has gone to sleep?

Michael

16. adrien

Hi Stefan

Thanks for your information I got the notification working by setting the push notifications in the 3CX server.

However. It's not adequate. You need to rethink the design here.

* when a phone rings, you get an ongoing ring sound until you answer, and you have an answer or decline or divert to voicemail option.
    * when you get a notification, you get a single quiet buzz, and you have to swipe (if locked/asleep) or tap to answer (no divert or decline option).

the single beep is not adequate for a ring signal. It's too easy to miss. This way of operating basically makes the iPhone client next to useless.

17. cicciocappuccio

in addition to the list of app's issue, I noticed that if I use tunnel and receive a call, I had to start manually the tunnel app first and after launch 3cx v12 app. This is a rely frustrating method and often the call will be missed. On android everything is fine but there's a common problem (ios & android).If the (remote) extension was joined to a queue there's a one way audio issue. If the extension is in a ring group everything is ok. On windows client everything is ok!
    Have you the same behaviour?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.