Dose anyone make a FAX machine with an Ethernet jack

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by coreybrett, Feb 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coreybrett

Dose anyone make a FAX machine with an Ethernet jack on it for sending FAXs via SIP?

2. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Short answer - no/not worth it.

Get an ATA (Analog to Telephone Adapter). We prefer the SPA2102 and SPA3102 but there are other makes too beside Cisco

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. coreybrett

Ok, I just got the SPA2102 in the mail today. Hopefully that does the trick. Have you had any trouble sending FAXs out via a VOIP provider? (CallCentric in my case)

4. abc123

abc123 Active Member

No, but have never used CallCentric so couldnt tell you if it will work with them.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. coldtech

Please post back with your experience. I tried with a 3102 on Broadvox without success.

6. abc123

abc123 Active Member

I have good experience with Broadvox and 3102.

You have to set the extension as a fax machine in 3cx and NOT a normal extension.

Then you just need the factory defaults for the 3102 (no t38 etc.). It all works then.

7. coldtech

I just tried it again with no success. Care to share your 3102 config?

Faxing has absolutely been the worst of this and it actually killed me It stressed me out so bad I had a heart attack and the EMT's had to drag me away from my keyboard. Later I flat lined and they had to zap me back ... bastards. Should have left me it was quite peaceful.

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

This thread has a screen shot of the settings for the 2102. Most settings can be crossed over. http://www.3cx.com/forums/linksys-spa2102-and-fax-does-it-work-17472.html#p88622

A lot can depend on the make/model of fax machine you are using too.

Cisco (Linksys) has just released a new firmware load for the 2102 that may help. http://www.cisco.com/cisco/software/type.html?mdfid=282414111&i=rm

9. coldtech

Followed that before. Just did it again and managed to receive one but outbound sends nothing.

I had the great idea of using efax and using scan to email printers to replace the fax machines but trying to type 12345678@efaxsend.com on a numeric pad is a nightmare.

I will have to get a couple lines in from Verizon I guess.

10. abc123

abc123 Active Member

Factory reset your SPA3102 as you have probably played with too many settings now (I know I did at first).

Then go to 3cx and add a Fax Machine (in the menu under fax machines). This is NOT an extension, it is a fax machine and will show under System Extensions when added.

Then log in to your 3102 (you will have to enable web access after the factory reset as it is off by default). Then configure the extension user id password etc. No other changes are needed. It works most times with Broadvox. I do notice that now and again the occasional fax will fail but it appears to be a time out somewhere on the 3cx computer and works on redial.

11. coldtech

Appreciate all the advice.

That is what I have done though. Only change from factory default on the 3102 was disabling T38.
    Outbound said it was sending and the remote machine said it was receiving but nothing ever went.
    I even threw a line filter on it just for chuckles.

And yes last time I changed all sorts of stuff trying to get it to work.

Think a different ATA adapter may work better for this scenario?

12. coreybrett

Just to clarify things, I was only concerned with sending faxes out via my VOIP provider, not receiving.

My final solution to the problem was to create a second account with Callcentric and configure my SPA-2102 to use that account directly, there by taking 3CX out of the mix entirely.

I was able to make this method work with an old Panasonic fax machine and a newer HP MFC.
    It also worked with a Linksys SPA-8000 and a Grandstream HT286.

All of my inbound faxes are handled by Callcentric and are sent to my email.

13. sigma1

sigma1 Active Member

If you follow carefully the the settings used in the screenshot of the thread posted above you will have no problem. We setup tons of 3102. PAP2 and 2102 with no problems. Make sure you FORCE g711.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.