Double popup appears on Assistant Hotkey

Discussion in 'Windows' started by joepmaas, Aug 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joepmaas

Can anyone please assist in this?:
    [*]We have a V9 install
    [*]We are using provided Assistant clients (3CXAssistantSetup9) integrated with the 3CX softphone for Windows.
    [*]When a dial hotkey is used the first time after startup, and a number from the company phonebook is dailed, all is handled from the regular popup where the phonebook entries are shown.
    [*]The second (and any following time) the hotkey is used, not only the regular popup appears, but also a second popup is displayed over the screen of the 3CX softphone (Title: Edit Phonenumber). The call goes OK but the user MUST shut the second popup in order to end the current call from the softphone interface.

Question: Is there a way to suppress the second popup?

Thanks!
    Joep Maas
    Clever Clips

2. Vali_3CX

Vali_3CX Well-Known Member
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Joep
    It seems 3CX Assistant lost its "integration" with 3CXPhone - ie, current running 3CXPhone has not been launched by 3CX Assistant, but manually - from its shortcut.
    Also, it may happen if you manually upgraded/downgraded the 3CXPhone binaries in 3CX Assistant folder - not all 3CXPhone versions are aware of 3CX Assistant. Which 3CXPhone version do you have, as shown in its About menu?
    Regards
    vali

P.S About popups: One popup it's 3CXPhone's, the other one 3CX Assistant's. When they are "integrated", only 3CX Assistant's is shown, 3CXPhone has been "told" to don't display its own.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. joepmaas

Hi Vali,

Thanks for the rapid response. :D
    The version is: 5.0.14900.0
    Could this also happen if someone has ever activated the "3xcphone starts at windows logon" tickbox? (I suspect the user of having done this :roll: )
    Is there a way to re-unite Assistant and 3cx phone (apart from a re-install)?

Again thanks for the help

Best regards,
    Joep Maas
    Clever Clips

4. joepmaas

Hi Vali
    I did some further probing based on the mindset your answer induced.
    The Assistant and Softphone appear to be properly integrated, since the account on the softphone (right top in the softphone screen reads "call assistant":

Some further testing shows that the sequence of events is:
    1: Call a phonebook entry from the assistant
    2: The softphone pops up dialing the call, and apparently "Has_Focus" as its window-state
    3: Stop the call
    4: Re-trigger the dial-hotkey and dial (3CX phone still has windows-focus apparently)
    5: BOTH popups show

I found a workaround fix through setting the assistant window to "always on top" and moving the assistant over the physical area where the 3CX phone appears (this prevents the phone from aquiring window-focus)
    It would however be much more elegant if it were possible to prevent the 3CX phone from popping up, so that the user would always work from the Assistant interface, and we would never have to worry about this problem anymore.

Would that be possible (keeping the phone hidden on a call?)

Looking forward to your insights
    Best regards
    Joep Maas
    Clever Clips

Attached Files:

5. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Joep
    Thanks for feedback.

Yes, it is possible the "Start at Windows logon" to trigger a "non-integration" behavior: 3CXPhone starts first, so when 3CX Assistant is launched (a little) later is too late. However, since 3CXPhone is using the "Call Assistant" profile, it seems integration is OK. I cannot check for 3CXPhone version right now - I'm at home - but I will check it tomorrow and I will tell you what I found.

Regards
    vali

P.S Only one question: this double-popup issue happened since you first installed Assistant, or appeared later?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. joepmaas

Hi Vali,

Was away for a few days too, hence the laggard response. :oops:

The phenomenon exists on all recent client installations for this customer (a fruit trading company doing a lot of calling and very pleased with the 3CX rig) All installs show the same behaviour from the start.

Best regards
    Joep Maas
    Clever Clips

7. joepmaas

Hello Vali,
    Additional question:
    What is the use for the popup that is generated by the 3CX phone?
    Can this not be suppressed when Assistant is active?
    Beste regards,
    Joep Maas
    Cever Clips

8. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Joep

Sorry for my very late answer, I was very busy with 3CX tunnel for iPhone and I forgot about forum, shame on me :oops:

I checked for 3CXPhone version you have, it seems OK. I cannot help you on 3CX Assistant, but on 3CXPhone I can provide you quite good Assistance :mrgreen:

Please do the following:
    - start 3CXPhone as standalone; it means EXIT Assistant, then launch 3CXPhone from its shortcut in Windows Start menu.
    - configure it to an account which allows you to call the 3CXPhone.
    - click the "x" button to force 3CXPhone to hide in the tray.
    - from another extension, call 3CXPhone - its dark-blue answering popup should appear. Drop the call and leave 3CXPhone hidden in the tray.
    - open a command prompt and there go the folder where 3CXPhone.exe is installed.
    - type "3cxphone popup-off", without quotes, such as C:\Program Files\3CXAssistant\bin\3CXPhone popup-off
    - again, from another extension, call 3CXPhone - it should ring but popup should not be displayed.

If everything went ok, EXIT 3CXPhone, then launch it integrated with 3CX Assistant - ie, let Assistant to launch it. To be sure is properly integrated, check phone's debug window to see if "integration with call assistant is ON".
    - from the command prompt, repeat last command, the one with popup-off.
    - from another extension, call 3CXPhone - its popup should not be displayed.

Try this and please tell me how is going.
    Regards
    vali

9. joepmaas

Hello Vali,

The priority on tunnel-capability for the Iphone is a VERY good reason to take some time, so excuses not required... :D

I have tested the proceedings as you described:

Phase 1:
    With the phone-only and the popup-off switch having been run, the behavior is as you predicted, the popop stays away when the phone is being called. ;) :)

Phase 2:
    With the Assistant having started the phone, after having checked the assistitant integration reported OK in debug, and the popup-off having been run, the popup shows again when the number is called (the number that is integrated with the assistant) :cry:
    In fact with the integration for Outlook I have also installed the things that pop are: Outlook-contact card, phone itself, call-notifier in bottom of the screen.

I have also checked that in the phase 2 setting the phone also pops up when the assistant hotkey is used to initiate a call from eg the phonebook. (the behavior we wanted to get rid of :roll: )

I hope the above analysis of the testing helps you to get a picture of what's going on.

I have also one question if you permit: Would the popup-suppressor switch be installed permanently, or would the procedure have to be repeated everytime the computer is rebooted? Or could the switch somehow be integrated in the command that the assistant uses to call the phone?

Have a good weekend,
    Joep Maas
    Clever Clips

10. Vali_3CX

Staff Member 3CX Support

Hi Joep

Joep, to end all this headache, on - let's say - tuesday, check here again. I will do a change in the phone and I will ask you for an eMail address to send you a "customized" version. If this is convenient for you, obviously - because such kind of "customized" version will loose its customizations when you will upgrade to a newer, official version.

Regards
    vali

11. joepmaas

Hello Vali,

Quick response, Thanks!

I have done some further checking, and in the phone-only situation the popup at the bottom of the screen is suppressed, but the whole phone appears with the "incoming call" screen showing the incoming call with the accept/reject/tovoicemail buttons.

I would be very happy to receive and test a "tweaked & cusomized" version that would suppress all visible activity of the phone interface when calls are controlled from the assistant (initiate, answer etc...) Unless the phone would be manually called for from the taskbar... Thsi would enable the user to do rapid calling from the company phonebook without having to redirect windows-focus to the assistant after every call.

I am aware that this will be gone when I update to a newer version that does not have these adaptations, but I would hope that suppressing the phone from popping when control is at the assistant-side would make it to the regular versions in the form of a tick-box as a good :idea: ? ( :?: PLEASE :?: )

I'll send you my mail address separately by privmail

Looking forward to tuesday, and again thanks and have a good weekend

Joep Maas
    Clever Clips

12. joepmaas

Hi All,

Vali has come up with a brilliant solution for this problem.

The enclosed files to be placed in the \program files\3cx assistant\ directory in place of the two default installed files (from the Assistant Install) will cause the phone-interfaceto stay in the taskbar while dialing. This enables a person using the assistant for sustained or quick dialing from the Assistant hotkey to keep on doing so without having to worry that while the call is in progress the phone-interface has grabbed the windows focus and thus frustrates the next call.

The files are provided with the distinct caution that they are only tested with the 5.X version of 3CX Phone for windows, and are provided As-Is without further support

At least a big thanks to Vali for all the work he has put into this...

Apparently I'm unable to add files anymore to this thread, when interested plse send me a priv-mail I'll send them to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.