DTMF Issues on UK SPA3102

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by bcampbell74, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcampbell74

I can get my SPA3102 to register with 3CX ok and I can see the number I am trying to dial in the 3102 info page as it attempts to make the call however I get is dial tone and the eventual 'please hangup and try again.' message. It does not appear to be dialing the number. Anyone have the correct DTMF settings for the Linksys SPA3102 in the UK?

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The DTMF setting shouldn't affect the outgoing portion on the PSTN side. It really refers to how the 3102 handles DTMF that is passed through after the call has been set up. Like using on-line banking menus. I have found that changing the PSTN/International Control/SPA to PSTN Gain and the PSTN to SPA Gain can cause (for some reason) the calls to not be dialled, I just get dialtone. If those settings are not at the default of "0", change them back. Since the number is showing up in the 3102, the correct SIP message is getting through.

Here is a link to a fellow in the UK that has instructions specific to that area...http://www.aoakley.com/articles/2008-01-08.php

You can try listening on another phone directly on the PSTN line to see if you hear the DTMF being sent. You will have to change the Line-in-use-Voltage setting down to about 5 volts (it's in the same section as above), or the 3102 will assume that the line is in use when the other set is off-hook and will not attempt the call.

3. bcampbell74

PSTN/International Control/SPA to PSTN Gain and the PSTN to SPA Gain both at 0 already. I had also previously came across the Andrew Oakley instructions and changed accordingly. Anything else I should be looking at?

Attached Files:

4. bcampbell74

Just setup a test of incoming calls on the PSTN line. This works fine.

5. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Usually, it's the incoming call part that people have problems with on the 3102. Were you able to monitor the DTMF tones using another phone on the line? If you don't hear the tones, that could be one problem, including the possibility of a faulty unit. If you hear them then they could be too low of a level for the CO to recognise. Is there still dialtone after the 3102 should have dialled the digits? You do have DTMF service, right?

Had you done a factory reset on the 3102 before you began or was the unit right out of the box? Did you change any other settings other than those mentioned in either the 3Cx site or the links I sent you?

You posting shows the line in use, I'm assuming this "snapshot" done when you were on a call? If you weren't using the line at the time the problem is that 3102 thinks it is in use and would not attempt a call in this state.

6. bcampbell74

The Linksys box had sat in a drawer for about a year. I had perviously tossed it aside as I was getting poor voice quality and little time to investigate. When I hooked it back up I upgraded the firmware to the latest version and completed a factory reset on the phone. I then setup as per 3CX articles.

I have hooked up a DECT phone to it (only analogue phone I have available). With the power off it dials out fine however when the Linksys unit is on it shows the same issue. I have Line 1 enabled as I would like to hook a fax up to it. Unfortunately I don't think I will be able to listen to the calls being dialed out with the DECT phone.

7. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

Yes, with the power off you would be connected directly to the PSTN line (power fail feature).

You could monitor the line with the DECT phone (see the change to be made to the voltage) but you would have to place a call with another set, like the 3CX softphone set up as an extension.

You can use the LINE 1 for a fax machine but I wouldn't run it through 3CX. You can set up a dialplan so that outgoing calls would go directly to the PSTN and not into 3CX. With incoming you can only have it going one way or the other. Inbound PSTN calls will can back (timeout) and ring through to the FXS port but then all calls would go there and callers would never go through to 3CX unless it answered before the timeout.

8. bcampbell74

I had tried as suggested with the DECT phone however still could not listen in I'm afraid. I am going to give up on this - time better spent on other things for now.

Thanks for your input.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.