DTMF Not Working with certain providers

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by running, Jul 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. running

We are running 3CX V11 and DTMF does not seem to be working through CallCentric, it however does still work with our Nexvortex trunks, very strange. Any ideas?

2. DBOD

I also had trouble with out of band DTMF not working on a lot of calls from about July 20th thru July 24th. I switched to in band DTMF to get it working temporarily.

I started a trouble ticket with Callcentric to identify the problem and this is the final resolution

"We are not stating that it was specifically your 3CX, but it was an issue we were seeing on multiple 3CX installations in use by various clients. The problem only manifested when a specific new carrier was in route and 3CX was being used. What happened was that the telephone-event was not being transmitted properly during call setup. We believe that the issue was primarily with the carrier that was terminating the call and that new carrier has been removed from routing. You should not experience this problem again. "

It is a little troubling that 3CX could not handle what ever was going on. It would be nice if we knew what it was and could fix it in the event another carrier does the same thing. This caused a lot of disruption in my operations for a few days. Help anyone??

3. lneblett

lneblett Well-Known Member

How about some detail? Did it ever work, inbound and outbound? Logs? What are you experiencing specifically with DTMF?

DBOD statements may or may not be applicable as to signaling, but callcentric went out of their way to not point fingers at 3cx and then went on to indicate that their belief of the issue DBOD had was with a terminating carrier.

3CX supports both in-and out-of-band DTMF signals.

4. DBOD

I am a fan of 3CX. It has worked flawlessly for the last 12 months with out of band DTMF on my Aastri 55i phones. I had to switch to in band DTMF for a few days during the period Callcentric said they had problems with one of the carriers. I went back to out of band DTMF again without problems when Callcentric said it should not happen again. Well today it happened again. We frequently dial out to 1 800 numbers and need to navigate the menus with the keypad. When the problem occurs no navigation is possible. It is as if the destination is not responding. I am going back to inband DTMF for now. I don't have time to work this problem.

The quote I gave from Callcentric speaks for itself. They "believe" they had a bad carrier and of all the PBXs using Callcentric the problem only shows up on some 3CX systems. While they were careful not to point the finger at 3CX that does not absolve 3CX. Assuming the carrier is indeed not operating correctly, I would think that 3CX would have a vested interest (not an obligation ) in understanding the problem and protecting themselves and their clients against whatever happened. At this point in time, I have to say that I also "believe" the problem is not on my side of the connection and not in my 3CX system.

If time permits I will attempt to post logs of a failed out of band DTMF outbound call in the next few weeks. Thank you.

5. lneblett

Dbod-

My original post was to running who stated an issue with little detail. I only pointed out, that the issue may or may not be the same as what you experienced.

However, I was curious as to your concern about how 3cx was not fault tolerant in this regard. If indeed the terminating carrier had a failure of some type that precluded it from being able to process a certain type of DTMF, the question becomes how that was made known in the sdp between the terminating carrier and callcentric and then from callcentric back to 3cx. My take is that when you initiated the call, the DTMF type was sent in the sdp and callcentric provided an ok; which presumably is supported by callcentric given your past success. It seems to me that the terminating carrier would have received a similar sdp from callcentric and then either provided an ok, or failing that renegotiated to a different DTMF. Then the reverse from callcentric would occur to 3cx, unless callcentric could transcode the dtmf. Without a wireshark capture, I am uncertain how one will know what DTMF type was negotiated and I don't know how 3cx, or any other system for that matter,would be able to ascertain without some type of negotiation that one DTMF failed, try another. I assume it highly possible that some keys are oftentimes pressed (by mistake) for which the far end has no corresponding action established, for all intents this could/might be suggestive of a DTMF failure and spur a change in method, when in fact it wasn't a failure at all.

I was not.trying to inflame, but rather understand the concern more fully. Is there a reason hat OOB DTMF tones are preferred? Callcentric perhaps?

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A number of SIP sets/ATA's do not limit the DTMF method used, to one type, exclusively. You may want to experiment with the settings. There may be one (a combination?) that will work no matter which terminating carrier you end up routing over.

7. MathewMoore

FYI,

I am running 2 3cx systems (two different companies), with callentric providing the SIP trunking in both cases. Both these 3cx systems had DTMF issues about the time I upgraded to version 11. I was using g711 so I just changed to in-band, rather than troubleshoot :)
    Love to hear if anyone else is having issues, or better still, if the issue has been resolved.

Cheers,

Mat

8. lneblett

Leejor -

True, but does this still not require a negotiation to determine which is in play? As 3cx can handle both in and out, I am not clear on how, if a negotiation does not occur, any system will know that a switch from a default setting is required/needed. Setting the Ata or phone for that matter to accomodate multiple payloads or types or codecs still implies only one is in use.

9. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

A lot depends on the device setting avalable, and, in the case of adding "audio DTMF" to the mix, using G711 (almost all other Codecs have problems passing DTMF audio). It's just that there are a number combinations (as I said , depending on the device), that can be tried, and a combination, of a SIP messaging method ,along with audio, may work out.

Of course, this all requires a bit of time and experimentation.

10. dcline97

We are also a Callcentric customer and are running 3CX ver 10, SP6. We are having the same DTMF problems. I see a mention of changing the configuration to in-band. What setting are you changing for this? I'd like to give this a try. Also, are there any downsides to making this change?

Thanks,

Dave

11. lneblett

Normally found on the phones or devices in use as they generate the tone. Keep in mind that if auto provisioned ther is the possibility that while you may manually change the setting, an auto provision may re-write the setting to what it was before. You may need to either turn off auto provision or modify the phone templates in use.

12. dcline97

OK - found it. Setting it to in-band does indeed fix the problem.

I checked the template and it does not appear to have any settings for this.

I guess I need to figure out how to add it.

13. SY

SY Well-Known Member
    3CX Support

http://www.3cx.com/forums/digital-receptionist-doesn-t-respond-to-caller-selections-23952.html

Personally, I hope that we have detected a weird thin materia which stays between 3cx PhoneSystem and VoIP providers.
    Let's find a guilty :)

Thanks

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. DBOD

This was a transient problem for me back in July. Callcentric eventually dropped the carrier that was causing the problems. Going to in-band DTMF was a workable tempory fix. I don't know if my configuration enabled the problem but I have moved on to Version 11 and gone back to out of band DTMF with Callcentric and still no problems since July 2012. You can not change this setting in the 3CX Management Console. I have Aastri 55i phones and you can set this manually in the Global SIP settings or you can modify your 3CX template. I added this to my Aastra templates to let me control all of the phones. You phones and templates are likely to be different.

#Force out of band DTMF by setting to 1
    sip out-of-band dtmf: 1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.