Dismiss Notice
We would like to remind you that we’re updating our login process for all 3CX forums whereby you will be able to login with the same credentials you use for the Partner or Customer Portal. Click here to read more.

DTMF values

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by Ben C, Apr 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben C

Hi.
    I'm on V.14.
    I had a complain the other day that a caller dialed the extension (after reaching the DR) and the call didn't reach that extension. The log confirmed that. Also I noticed:
    "[MS211000] C:2272.1: x.x.x.x:11592 is delivering DTMF using RTP payload (RFC2833). In-Band DTMF tone detection is disabled for this call segment."
    I started to search about DTMF and came across to parameter "MSADDRFC2833FORINBANDDTMF". What are the values of this parameter? 0 and 1 ? What's the effect of this?

Thank you
    Ben

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

In most cases DTMF sent as a message, as is done with RFC2833, is much more reliable. If you restrict to, or also allow, in-band and there is a low-bit Codec involved, short duration tones, or low levels, there can be issues.

You can try changing the option, as a test, to see if it makes a difference, just be aware that you might be causing more problems.

What type trunking are you using?

3. Ben C

We have SIP trunk.
    The value of this field is "1". Does this mean "In-Band DTMF tone detection is disabled" ?
    What other values are for this field?

Thank you

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

The parameter definition is "Allows Media server to distribute recognized in-band DTMF as RFC2833 to other participants of the call" Options are 1=on, or 0=off, default is 1

5. Ben C

Thank you leejor
    I'm not familiar with DTMF.
    Can you please interpret this message:
    "[MS211000] C:2272.1: x.x.x.x:11592 is delivering DTMF using RTP payload (RFC2833). In-Band DTMF tone detection is disabled for this call segment."

The complain is that a caller dialed the extension # when he reached the DR, (call from outside) but nothing happened. The extension didn't ring. So I suspected it has to do with DTMF. Do you agree?
    Later I confirmed with him that he was in 'speaker mode' when he dialed our the extension. Can I generalize that anyone calling form outside on 'speaker mode' can't dial extension from DR?

Thank you

6. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

As it says, it has detected RFC2883 (probably from your provider), so it assumes that is how it will receive DTMF tones (or in reality, messages representing the tones), because of that it will not "listen" for audio (in-band) DTMF tones. If both were received, then double digits could be interpreted.

You said you "had a complaint" about DTMF not working. How often has this happened? If more than once, was it the same caller? What type of set was the caller using? Mobile, cordless phone? Can the "failure" be duplicated? Was this a local or toll call?

7. Ben C

This is the first time we have been told about this issue. It may have been an issue for some time, but we haven't had any complain til now.
    He says it happens when he uses desk phone on 'speaker mode'. It's OK when he calls from his cell phone.
    It was a call to toll free number.
    I will try to replicate it when I go home. Does it matter if the caller is using a VoIP or PSTN line ?

Thank you

8. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

"speaker mode" shouldn't make any difference, but, i suppose it's possible (never say never) depending on the set. i just assume they are using the speaker phone rather than the handset. Does their set have a "mode' other than speaker mode? Does it work using that? It may very well be a "one-off" originating set issue.
    The originators provider will route (trunk) to your VoIP provider, then to you, so , in theory, it shouldn't make a difference, but it might

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.