Dynamic DNS and/or STUN

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by TSDKen, Jan 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TSDKen

Struggling to find the answer to this question. I am using a dynamic IP from Comcast. When using v15 (sp4), do I still need to use a service such as changeip or dyndns to update my dynamic IP? I was under the impression that v15 would handle this on its own. In fact, it initially seemed to work fine, but now the (3cx) supplied FQDN does not reflect my external IP number.

To add some confusion, a second install at another office seems to be working perfectly fine (with dynamic Comcast IP) and the FQDN supplied by 3cx does correctly reflect the IP number of that connection.

I currently have everything working by plugging in my IP number with my SIP provider, but I would greatly appreciate a hand with this.

Thanks,

Ken

2. TSDKen

to update, my 3cx supplied FQDN is now coming back with different IP numbers depending on different locations. I am getting the correct ip from ip-lookup.net, but my SIP provider (nexvortex) is getting a different incorrect ip. Is there something wrong with the 3cx name servers? How long do I need to wait to try again?

3. YiannisH_3CX

YiannisH_3CX Support Team
    Staff Member 3CX Support

Hello @TSDKen

Please note that Dynamic IP configuration is nor recommended for production servers as there is some down time every time the IP changes as the DNS propagation could take up to 24 hours depending on your location.

4. JST

JST New Member

I am using this on Comcast Business in my home. While I do have a DynDNS service for my IP, I opted to just use the Dynamic IP option provided by 3CX and it works just fine. Even the IP renewal seems to work right away. I will keep an eye on it and let you know if that changes for me, but using the built-in option seems to work just fine for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.