Dynamic DNS Experience

Discussion in '3CX Phone System - General' started by petewatterschats, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

I am creating this thread so we can all share our experiences with Dynamic DNS

I have a Dynamic Public IP Address

Have a Private Side DNS/DHCP Server

Router Supplied by Time Warner Cable TG1672 which has a Public Side and a Private Side where the 3CX Server is

I have not setup a Dynamic DNS Service yet but I will get around to it in a few days TWC said I could expect my address not to change for a month.

I have tested a remote client on an ipad and every thing works but I need some experience over time to see how it works and the pitfalls of not having a static IP Address

Please share your experiences

2. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I can't see an issue arising using DDNS to allow remote devices to register, I have always used that with no problems. I think (and I any be wrong), the concern was that if you were not using a static public IP AND not using STUN, then there could be issues when using VoIP providers. The concern was, that, at least with the initial release, it was assumed that Version 14 installs would be not be using STUN because they all had static IPs, that seems to have changed now.

3. petewatterschats

petewatterschats New Member

By happenstance and a mistake I had this experience
    I have two Internet Connections with 2 routers
    I originally installed 3CX point to Router1’s public IP Address.

Then when I was learning and testing I changed it so it would go to Router2 and under network-settings I put in the Public address of router2 and its local interface. Router 2 uses a Dynamic Public IP Address
    The default gateway on the PC Hosting 3CX was changed to point to Router2
    Setup a FlowRoute Trunk and tested outgoing call worked but had problem with incoming calls

They would ring, could be picked up you could hear the incoming caller but the incoming caller could not hear me.

FlowRoute did a test for me and found that
    Their response
    “So I believe the 3CX system is at 76.170.137.3. The issue is that when we send calls to your IP address 76.170.137.3 that you 3CX system responds to our SIP Invite with a 200 OK. The issue is that when your system sends the 200 OK to answer the call you are telling us to send the audio to the IP 107.199.133.105. Typically I see customers sending audio back to the IP where there system is hosted.
    I believe you have the address 107.199.133.105 listed somewhere in that 3CX configuration. Please look at your set up to see if you can identify this address in any other settings you have. Let me know if you can identify any thing that way.”
    107.199.133.105 was the original Public IP Address but in Settings – Network – Public Address was changed from the original 107.199.133.105 and set to 76.170.137.3

It seems like when the Public IP Address gets changed because it is a Dynamic IP Address the DNS Servers will always point to the 3CX server public Address but that may not be enough because the old address is hard coded into the installation.

The only solution than would be a backup – removal – re-install – restore backup

I hope I am wrong

4. leejor

leejor Well-Known Member

I can confirm that 3CX version 12.5, is more "forgiving" if you have a dynamic IP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.